🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226

Hi Daniel,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8acc9859
Community Member

Ive tried 3 different Credit Cards. Two Bank accounts. I tried PayPal. None of it works and it worked before. It isnt a problem on the side of my credit cards or PayPal. It is a problem with Upwork and now I get a message saying my account will be suspended in 24 hours.

Chat bot is absolutely horrendous and no help. The Help Topics are no help. I need an actual person working on this ASAP. I have people I need to pay.

The same thing happened to me two days ago, I created a tiket and they don't answer.

Olga, did they resolve your issue?

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Timothy and Olga Patricia,

Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you're attempting on your card. Kindly contact your card-issuing bank to inquire about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists afterward, we'll be happy to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
8acc9859
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

My card-issuing banks all say it is good on their end. Please help as my account is now financially limited.

Will anyone at Upwork. A real person be able to help me. My banks say its absolutely fine on their end. The issue is coming from Upworks end.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Timothy,

I've shared your report with the appropriate team and raised a ticket to address your concern. One of the support team members will contact you on this page with more information and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
8acc9859
Community Member

Guys,

This is so unreal for us to try to run our business like this. My issue was resolved somehow. A ticket was open with Crispin and everything was working fine. Now, all of a sudden my cards do not work anymore. Please fix ASAP. This is really slowing down my business

Following up on this? Anyone can help?

9756de1b
Community Member

Hello,

I'm trying to hire someone from Upwork, but every time I pay I'm faced with this error "

Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support."

, I checked the billing page and was faced with another error "We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank."

There's no issue with my bank, all set and good, my billing information are correct as well, so I don't know what's the issue exactly??
If anyone has an idea please help, this is urgent.
Edit: This is literally the worst platform for hiring freelancers, not only the payment system is a complete failure, but I'm UNABLE to reach out to their support agents if they have any, the AI thing they have is not helpful, can't talk directly to support agents, and can't find how to start a ticket.. I'm at a loss of words at the moment.. 

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry you're having trouble making a payment and how it has inconvenienced you. We've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
677d2909
Community Member

I am Tunisian, I have an Upwork account, and I tried to pay a freelancer on Upwork using an international Visa Gold card belonging to my French husband, but the payment failed. Please help me resolve the issue.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sondes,

I'm sorry to hear that your payment wasn't going through. Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you're attempting on your card. Kindly contact your card-issuing bank to inquire about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists afterward, we'll be happy to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
williamxhannah
Community Member

I am trying to pay a freelancer.  I had put $100 in the escrow.  the final amount  to pay is $300 and I am happy to pay for it.  but when I try to pay, upwork is giving an error with no exmplanation on why.  The messagre is:

Error happened during processing milestone. Please contact customer support for assistance: support.upwork.com .

Hi William,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
b9900ac8
Community Member

My Mastercard gets declided, I can't pay for services. Tried adding the card again, tried it on phone, pc, nothing works. Contacting support is impossible, chatbot just keeps spamming articles that do not help. And there is no option to connect Paypal as billing method, though my Paypal account is verified and working.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Linas,

I'm sorry to hear that your payment wasn't going through. Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you're attempting on your card. Kindly contact your card-issuing bank to inquire about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists afterward, we'll be happy to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
913e49a8
Community Member

Hi ,

it is the first time I am offering a job on upwork. I am trying to hire a freelancer, but my payment method keeps getting rejected.

When I am on the final page and set up paypal und press "Fund contact and hire", I get the following message: "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one."

PayPal transfers the money to upwork but there is an immediate refund from upwork.

Trying mastercard gets rejected the same way.

This never happended with any online payment elsewhere before.

What can I do?

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Oliver,

~ Arjay
Upwork
913e49a8
Community Member

Hi,

you wrote:

*Hi Oliver, I'm sorry to hear that your payment wasn't going
through. Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions
you're attempting on your card. Kindly contact your card-issuing bank to
inquire about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists afterward,
we'll be happy to assist.*
It is Upwork that keeps rejecting my payments, not my credit card bank or
paypal.

When using paypal, the money was sent to upwork but immediately was send
back by upwork. Same with credit card.

Hope we can solve that problem.

Best regards,
Oliver
4c50327b
Community Member

unable to fund milestone 

Tried 2 cards and 1 paypal account that too with 2 cards

So now I have 2 payments taken from my account however milestone isnt funded

Hi Gurdeepak,

I can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
a011b78d166696b3
Community Member

I have tried to make a payment on a contract multiple times, and keep being told to contact support.

I have sufficient funds available, so I am wondering why this keeps failing.

Hi Alexis,

I checked your account, and it looks like the transaction was declined. Usually, for decline errors, we recommend contacting your card-issuing bank to assist you with the specific decline error. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
761c454b
Community Member

I have the same problem, I contacted my bank and they tell me the issue is with Upwork and none compliance to SCA

Hi Gary,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
9756de1b
Community Member

Honestly, for a famous platform like Upwork, they seem to have some serious issues with payment.

I had this problem the first time I tried to hire someone this month, and after wasting 24h of work they were able to answer the issue and "solve" it.

Unfortunately, they didn't solve anything, as this issue arrised again with my second contract with same freelancer.

This is so disappointing.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry you're having trouble using your billing method. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
4d4e41ff
Community Member

I have issues with declined payments. One day I can pay for the job, another day I cannot. All card info is ok, no issues from bank side. But upwork playing with me and not let me pay for freelancers job and upwork commission. 
Please do something with my account, let me pay for job without problems every time. I am tired to deal with it. I send request a hundred time. No one can help me. The system works from time to time. One day I can pay another I cannot pay and I don't know the reason. 

It is common here. Some "very secret checking" going. Easy way is add some reliable method, like Paypal. But you can try reach support.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Gulmira,

~ Arjay
Upwork
0e2465ca
Community Member

Hola amigos! soy Rosa Virginia, les hablo desde Venezuela, Edo Merida.  apemas ingresando en este mundo virtual, me desenpeno como Asistente Administrativo en Mercadeo y Data Entry quiero aprender mucho mas!

quiero aprender de la experiencia de cada uno de Ustedes en la plataforma Upwork.

mi inspiracion mi Hijo!!! quien me dio la oportunidad de estar aqui! gracias y espero estar a gusto igualmenrte a la orden por aca

Hi, Rosa!

Can you share a little bit about your data entry position? I am interested in exploring that field...

ce9f5588
Community Member

Hello,

I am new to upwork and encountered an issue while attempting to process a payment with my card yesterday. Unfortunately, it was not successful. Could you please investigate this matter and provide assistance?

Thanks!

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi William,

I see that you reached out to our support team and raised a ticket about your concern. Please allow our team time to investigate and you will get an update on this page from one of the team members with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
a087976a
Community Member

I posted a job a week ago and chose a freelancer among candidates. I tried to send her an offer and pay for that, but Upwork couldn't charge my card somehow. I texted with customer support in a live chat, but she couldn't help me right away. She told me she'll follow up with me through email. I've yet to receive any update from here. It's been a week. Today, I tried to pay for the job post upgrade with the same card and it worked. My job post was upgraded and Upwork was able to charge my card successfully. I thought the card issue has been resolved and funding to hire someone must work as well. I tried to send an offer to the freelancer who I chose a week ago, but Upwork couldn't charge my card again. It's very strange. I do wonder why Upwork can charge my card for the job post upgrade, but can't charge it for hiring someone. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Happy for you and your client as you could transact  you payment.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Joshue,

I see that you've raised a support ticket about your case and it's still active for review. Please continue coordinating with the team through that ticket so that the team can assist you more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

I tried to attach to my mastercard and visa card in payment method but its showing unable to authorize your card.
How can I resolve this issue

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths