🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
3e71d05b
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

i am not able to pay for jobs with my visa card from Ghana. The final confirm and pay button remains grey and doesnt allow for payment to be made.

any help?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59
JoanneP

Hi Senyo,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Joanne
Upwork
8435d74a
Community Member

https://www.upwork.com/services/product/design-a-high-quality-and-professional-logo-designed-for-you...

I attempted to buy this Logo project, but When I pay to my checkcard. any method was canceled.

Mastercard, Visa, AmericaExpress. Also Paypal too.

I can buy another Logo project . but 'only' this project cannot use..
I'm from south korea. and every bank and card are same .

please help me

Hi Byungheon,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
bf25ef76
Community Member

"We found a problem with your primary billing method and to put it on hold. Update it now.""

This message appeared to me when I tried to use a card that declined the payment, but then I added my PayPal account wich was accepted and is now my primary billing method. Even though, the problem sign persists, and I don't know why.

Could you, please, help me?

Thank you!

If you've updated your billing method to PayPal and it has been accepted, but you're still seeing an error message regarding your billing method, it's possible that there is a delay in the system's update or there may be another issue at play.

To resolve this:

1. Check the Billing Method: Double-check that your PayPal account is indeed set as the primary billing method and is in good standing (no limitations or issues on the PayPal side).

2. Primary vs. Backup: Ensure that the old card that was declined is not still set as the primary or a backup billing method on your profile.

3. Payment Methods Section: Navigate to the payment methods section of your Upwork account and look for any notifications or alerts that may provide further instructions.

4. Reach Out to Upwork Support: If everything seems correct on your end, but the warning persists, the best step is to contact Upwork's support team for assistance. They can look into the specific details of your account and help clear any errors.

5. Clear Notifications: Sometimes, notifications can linger even after the issue is resolved. You might need to manually clear them or refresh the page to see the updated status.

6. Wait: If you recently made the changes, give it a little bit of time. Sometimes system updates are not immediate, and you may need to wait for a couple of hours before the changes take full effect.

Remember, maintaining a valid and active billing method is important for uninterrupted service on Upwork, especially if you are using their plus membership, buying connects, or have any ongoing contracts. If the error message doesn't resolve after following these steps, reaching out to Upwork support will be your best course of action.

Hi Alejo,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your post. I checked with the relevant team and I am pleased to inform you that your account has been restored now. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
c7e59d27
Community Member

Hello,

I recently created an Upwork account and am trying to hire a freelancer for a job post. All of the credit cards I have tried to use have been declined, as was PayPal verified via a US bank account. I have been trying to reach someone from Upwork customer support through chat but it seems to be automated only.

Thank you

Hi Lea,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
424e0d00
Community Member

Good day!

Help me solve the problem. My bank card is not working on Upwork. I have done all the to-dos that were mentioned in the chatbot, but it didn't help. I also contacted the bank asking them to provide me with the error message - they said that Upwork is rejecting the transaction on its end.

What do I need to do to solve the problem?

Hi Amelia,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hello, I am unable to complete the payment; it says the card is declined and I need to contact support. I have done all the activities that support advised me to do. Also, I contacted the bank, and they told me the issue is on your end. In fact, I am in Montenegro. My projects involve testing payments in Thailand.

Hi Alber,

I see that the team has reached out with more information about the status of your financial account and instructions for resolving the issue. Please visit the support ticket linked to your case on this page and your email for more details. Don't hesitate to coordinate with the team if you need further assistance; they'll gladly help.

~ Arjay
Upwork
3ab6d6b8
Community Member

We needed to hire 6 software engineers for long-term projects. After selecting 6 proposals, I funded the first milestone for the first proposal, and the offer was accepted with no problem.

When we tried to fund the first milestone for the second proposal, Upwork had placed a temporary hold on our account and declined the second payment. The bank had no issues. Upwork took a day to respond when we opened a support ticket and told us to re-enter our payment info. We did so and were able to make the payment, but the freelancer was unable to accept the offer because Upwork immediately put a temporary hold on our account again.

9 days later, we are still trying to get the last of these contracts funded. The pattern is that every time we make a payment they put a hold on our account, which doesn't clear until the banks settle the payment. Freelancers can't accept our offers nor can we make additional offers, which are both serious issues for us.

Does anyone know how to make multiple payments in Upwork without having to wait for individual card settlements? Upwork support seems intent on not helping us out.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to learn you've encountered an issue trying to fund multiple contracts. The relevant team contacted you via a support ticket with more information about this and to assist you further in resolving it. Please don't hesitate to follow up with the team via your ticket with them; you can rest assured that they'll help clarify what's happening. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
AndreaG

Hi all,

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork
3ab6d6b8
Community Member

In all 17 attempts to fund our offer where the payment was declined, the bank confirmed there was no decline on their side, nor did fraud or other processes kick in. , the bank has confirmed that the transactions were not declined because of the bank's policies or because we were over-limit. Upworks seems to be clawing back the transaction on their side, and then placing a hold on our account. The hold even prevents freelancers from accepting offers that were successful.

We did use the process you mentioned to open the support ticket. The only response has been to keep trying to "re-enter your card info" and expect a different result.

432663d0
Community Member

Hello, Upwork concerns,

Please view the attached image; it shows that my billing method is not active . Please note that I already opened a ticket with ID #46786833, where I mentioned the difficulties of Upwork ID verification issues with my national ID card & didn't get any reply from support. However, today I am seeing that the restriction on my account is no longer there, but my billing method shows that it is not active. As a result, I will not be able to buy extra connects to bid.I have already discussed this with my bank, & they are saying my card is active until 2025.Please activate my payment method.

Best Regards,

Arif

-  

Hi Mohmad Arifur,

I see you've contacted our support team and raised a ticket about your billing concerns. I can also confirm that it's been escalated to the appropriate team for further review. Please allow them 24-48 hours; you will surely get an update once it is done. 

We seek your patience and utmost understanding while we sort this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
432663d0
Community Member

Hi,

Thank you pls solve the issue so that I can buy connects.

Best regards,

Arif

9e584564
Community Member

Hello

I posted one job and tried to hire one freelancer

But upwork can not purchase the fund from my bank (I have contacted bank but bank said that the purchase is being canceled by upwork and card has enough money)

I changed my card but it is same

How can i solve it 

Please help me

Thanks

Hi Renan,

- Pradeep 

Upwork
595c4b90
Community Member

I am having making payment to freelance for the past 24 hours it keeps saying error I should contact support. This needs to be fixed ASAP 

Hi Oluwatomisin,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
13ac50db
Community Member

"We found a problem with your primary billing method and to put it on hold. Update it now.""

This message appeared to me when I tried to use a card that declined the payment, but then I added my PayPal account wich was accepted and is now my primary billing method. Even though, the problem sign persists, and I don't know why.

Could you, please, help me?

Thank you!

Hi David,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
85ee6abe
Community Member

good day , 

itry to pay by paypal today its doesnot accept , i used before for meeting and its accept , i try my credit card  same problem every information is correct and i contact my bank and they say its not our side because every time you try to pay its refunded 

can some one help me 

I can help you 

Hi Othman,

i see that you've reached out to our support team and raised a ticket about your billing concerns. Please allow our team 24-48 hours, and we will surely get an update on this page once your case is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
66a96710
Community Member

I have input a new credit card. Notifications says that the credit card was enabled despite an error message saying that the address is incorrect... which it is not. It does not show on my payment choices. My bank says that it is good on their end. How do I get this resolved?

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're encountering with updating your credit card information. Here's what you can do to try and resolve this:

1. Double-Check Details: Ensure that all credit card details, especially the billing address, match exactly with what your bank has on file. Sometimes even minor discrepancies can cause an error.

2. Wait and Refresh: Give it a few minutes then refresh your payment methods page to see if the new card appears. Sometimes changes take a moment to reflect due to processing times.

3. Try a Different Browser/Device: Sometimes, technical glitches are specific to a browser or device. Try accessing your account from a different browser or device to see if the problem persists.

4. Contact Upwork Support: Since you're experiencing an error message and the card is not showing up, you will need to escalate this to Upwork's Customer Service team for a resolution. Although direct contact may be challenging, persist through the virtual assistant by requesting "human support" or look for an option to "contact support" or "submit a ticket".

Lastly, document any error messages and communications with your bank, as these may be useful when interacting with customer support for resolving this issue.

Hi Joanna,

I see that you've been in contact with our support team via phone and raised a support ticket about your payment concerns. They've also sent an email with more information and further instructions for resolving the issue. You may access your ticket on this page or your email and coordinate with the team if you need assistance; they'll gladly look into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
072c6398
Community Member

Hi. I attached a different card for billing but everytime I encounter with same issue and there was pop up like there is something wrong from their end that's the reason I can't hire freelancer. and I tried same billing address on my freelancer account to buy connect than purchase was sucessful. Guide me how I can hire a freelancer.

billing card holder name is different from the account created owner 

Hi John,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
d742b2ed
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to do payment but payments is being reverted into my bank account. I have tried four different banks including paypal but same issue. the error shows on the screen "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. " The payment is going through all details are correct > I authorise on my bank but the the error shows and money is being reverted. this is seriously pain. wondering why. i need to pay to freelancer asap so that they can complete my project within timeline.

Hi Saba,

I see you've been coordinating with the appropriate team and raised a support ticket about your billing concerns. I'm sorry for the inconvenience of having this error. Please continue communicating with the team through that ticket or your email so that they can assist you more efficiently. You may access your ticket on this page for updates.

~ Arjay
Upwork
17ee410f
Community Member

i was hiring a person and i added my bank details. upwork deducted money from my account but upwork shows error and has no track that i paid for the project.

the money was transferred back but i tried again. again upwork has deducted the money and shown error.

Hi Maryam,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you to coordinate and assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
7ba552f5
Community Member

So, I've tried two credit cards and it still won't work.  It gets charged to my credit card, then credited, so the information is all in okay.  This seems to be an Upwork problem.  I see a lot of problems with this in other forems that have no solutions.  Do I need to burn incense and wait for the proper moon cycle?  How can I pay my freelancer?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths