🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
3e71d05b
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

i am not able to pay for jobs with my visa card from Ghana. The final confirm and pay button remains grey and doesnt allow for payment to be made.

any help?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

102 REPLIES 102
7ba552f5
Community Member

So, I've tried two credit cards and it still won't work.  It gets charged to my credit card, then credited, so the information is all in okay.  This seems to be an Upwork problem.  I see a lot of problems with this in other forems that have no solutions.  Do I need to burn incense and wait for the proper moon cycle?  How can I pay my freelancer?

Hi Vannessa,

Sorry for any frustration this might've caused you. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
fb299944
Community Member

Hello Upwork,

I was trying to pay with my card, but its not working.

Can someone check this issue and let me konw?

Thanks,

Dustin

Hi Dustin,

We've escalated your community post to a support ticket. I'm sorry if you're having trouble processing payments. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
678e0bc2
Community Member

I have hire a freelnacer and she is saying that "Upwork is not allowing me to accept the offer. It is saying that your account is temporarily on hold, once this issue is resolved only then will I be able to accept the offer." Why is this happend?

Should be verification needed or payment failed. Some moderator will create support ticket for you here. Keep eye at your tickets. Ask freelancer to wait until resolved.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests

Hi Mishit,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble hiring a freelancer. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
58f51fa8
Community Member

Hello, please help. Can't hire someone because of recent charge failed. I'm actually hiring 3 freelancers, hires 2 already. The 3rd one can't proceed because of this problem. I have VISA billing method. Please see the attached screenshot. Hoping to have this fixed ASAP.

Thanks!

Hi Ronino,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
017a10cd
Community Member

Hi

I am trying to hire on Upwork and so I have a client account. I successfully got my job featured on the Platform. The charge was successful and the job was promoted. 

Now, I want to hire someone for the job I featured. Every card I try is failing. They are ALL my cards and I can verify that they are mine. 

I have raised this to support and the answer I got was below. They basically say "it is unlikely to work". Why is this?  You took my money to feature the job and now stopped me from hiring? 

"Hi Maria,

Unfortunately, payments are being blocked due to security reasons and we cannot allow payments to be processed on your payment method.

You can try to use a different payment method but it is unlikely that your new payment method will work. 

You can also sign up and join the Upwork Marketplace at Upwork.com as an alternate avenue for you to continue to work on your project with your freelancer without running into additional payment issues.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Upwork Trust & Safety"

Hi Maria,

I'm sorry if this caused any confusion. The team assisting you via your ticket just shared an update with more information. Please refer to your ticket and don't hesitate to follow up with the team if you have additional questions. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
6e31a764
Community Member

Whenever I attempt to pay, both PayPal and Card payments go through and get instantly charged-back. I am paying for this using a different name on the card on this account. 

Hi Michael,

I see you've contacted our support team and raised a ticket about your billing concerns. Please allow our team time, and you will surely get an update on your ticket here once your case is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
b8c3c353
Community Member

I even called my bank in this regard, can u help me, I dont know what to do?

Hi Diksha,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
0271328a
Community Member

My paypal account is active and in good standing.  I use it frequently on other websites.  There is no issue with the card backing the paypal.  However, Upwork website continues to reject my setting Paypal as my preferred payment method.  I find this frustrating enough that I'm ready to move to another of the freelance providers.  What can Upwork do to fix this issue immediately?

Thank you

Hello M P,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble adding a billing method. Could you please confirm the error message you get while trying to add your PayPal details? 

- Pradeep

Upwork

We are sorry but we cannot setup PayPal as your payment method because it is not verified. Please verify your PayPal account or add a payment card.

Thank you for sharing additional information, M P. It appears that you will ned to verify your PayPal account or add a card first before you add this payment method. You may want to reach out to PayPal support to get assistance with this concern. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Pradeep,

PLEASE read the original message.  The Paypal works on other websites, with that specific bank card.  Paypal was used as recently as 29 April.  The problem is 100% on your end.  I attached proof from my paypal page of recent charges.

Fix it or I'm out of here.  There's a lot of other websites I can use.

Mark

Hi M P,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
e37ce3a6
Community Member

Hi,

I created an Upwork Client account a week ago. I had added card and I was able to send out payments to contractors without any issues initially. 

Yesterday evening, all of a sudden I noticed that, it is no more letting me pay for jobs. It threw an error stating my card couldn't be charged or something similar. I do not have the exact error message handy.

This is what I noticed:

1- When I click on pay - it charges my card. But then it immediately sends a refund. And I get an error on the screen stating the payment didn't go through.

2- I tried adding another card. Same thing happened with this card as well.

3- I connected me paypal account. Same sequence of events with paypal as well. 

4- Please note that, these cards & my paypal - all of this works perfectly everywhere else. (it used to work even inside Upwork until yesterday)

I tried contacting LIVE chat - but couldn't get connected with anyone. Everytime I try LIVE Chat - a bot responds to me and finally created a ticket for me - but then no one has responded to the ticket so far - It has been more than 24 hours already - and there is no response in the ticket.

I am totally blocked here. There are contractors that are waiting for payment. Can someone please assist me here.

I'm having the same problem and support has been no help. 

The milestone payment I am trying to activate & find is repeatedly being blocked. I've contacted the bank who said they can see the charges coming in and immediately being reversed by Upwork, and that the problem is on UW's end. I've deleted the payment method and re-entered it, tried re-entering the security coden and even tried a different method of payment that I should not be using per company rules just to troubleshoot. When I try to get help with the chat, I just go in circles with them. Please provide me with a line of communication with someone that can actually help. I've requested that my ticket be escalted and nothing. I've had these and very similar issues for almost 2 weeks and it is now causing my freelancer to lose trust in me and stop work on a very time sensitive project. 

03ea730d_0-1716393303526.png

Hi Muhammed and Elena,

I see several support tickets were raised for each of your billing method concerns. Please allow our team 24-48 hours from your most recent interaction for the team to review your case. We highly encourage you to coordinate with them through a single active support ticket on this page so that they can assist you more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Okay. Have you try

I'm having the same problem and support has been no help!

I successfully created a new account and added a credit card. When I tried to pay the bill, one transaction went through successfully, but the next one failed, and then it kept failing...

I tried adding other credit cards and PayPal, but all the payments failed. Then my account was hold on and required identity verification. I have already completed the identity verification, but now I am facing overdue payments, and my account is going to be restricted again. This has caused me significant inconvenience. 

3225852b_0-1717127354578.png

Always reminding me like this, who can help me?

Hi Grace,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble faced while adding a billing method. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
c602d730
Community Member

Hi community!

I am happy to here today, recently, I was experiencing very stange issue with my billing method, none of cards is not working on my account.

I am experiencing similar issue since last 24 hours. 

I was able to send payments to contractors without any issues.

But all of a sudden it stopped working.

When it stopped working this is what I noticed:

1- It charges my card and within a few second it sends a refund and throws error "Error charging card" or something similar.

I tried multiple cards - all these cards work just fine outside Upwork.

I have even tried my paypal.

Today I tried removing all the payment methods and tried re-adding them.

Soon after removing all the cards - my account got limited.

I am able to access my account - I tried adding card - but it doesn't work.

I am not able to get in touch with Upwork support either.

Please assist.

Hi Tanner,

I'm sorry if we weren't able to get back to you sooner about your billing concerns. I see that you've been coordinating with the appropriate team to resolve the issue. Please continue doing that by visiting your ticket here or your email whenever you have questions or need further assistance; they'll gladly look into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
b8c3c353
Community Member

They fixed it for me the last time card ending with 3438, and i got same issue again with same card, can you uplift it so i can pay my freelancer?

Hi Diksha,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
570cb8ef
Community Member

I have used Upwork for not very long, but when I first joined I was able to create six successful jobs, funding contracts and hiring people. However, for the past few days I've been encountering this frustrating error "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support." It shows up whenever I try to hire someone now, no matter what credit card I use. I have called customer support over five times but they still haven't fixed the issue. Sometimes they might do something that will allow me to hire 1-3 more people, but then the issue returns for no reason, and if the hires have not accepted the offer they are no longer able to do so because of an immediate hold placed on my account. For some reason, refreshing the card allowed me to hire a few more people, but this trick only worked once and might be a coincidence. I have checked my card company (they say Upwork is blocking the transaction) and tried several different cards, but still no luck. I have an urgent project and I'm trying to hire the people I've agreed to hire. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Adam,

I'm sorry for any frustration this could've caused you. I've followed up with the team working on your ticket, and they've just shared an update with you. Please refer to your ticket for more information. Thank you for your patience! 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
1ebd7a13
Community Member

hi all,

I was wondering if anybody has experienced similar issues: i am using a wise debit card for payment at upwork. the details are 100% correct as the transactions show up in my wise app - yet upwork support repeatedly is telling me to reenter the details and verify that they are correct. the cards work with all other merchants/services.

wise app is basically stating that the payments were canceled by upwork post authorization.

would like to avoid having to use Paypal / other bank.

has anybody in the community experienced this?

thanks,

daniel

Hii Daniel K.!

yes my client was face this too

I this issue in Upwork server side...

Hi Daniel, 

I checked and it looks like you are already communicating with our team about your issue via a support ticket. I shared your report with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths