🐈
» Forums » Support » fraudulent credit card charges
Page options
f7459c6c
Community Member

fraudulent credit card charges

I had never heard of upwork.com until i spotted two unauthroised transactions on my credit card statement yesterday. I have contacted my credit card company and they have cancelled my card (which is a real nuisance). The amount of those trnslaction is over 2,400 Australian dollars in total. The credit campany said that the charges were made by someone based in Japan. There is a reference number attached to each transaction. My credit card company is now investigating this matter, but could you please look into this at your end? I will provide more infomation. 

46 REPLIES 46
ArjayM

Hi Rick,

I'm sorry to hear about the unauthorized charge on your credit card. I'll have one of our team members reach out to you directly via support ticket to cooperate with your concern. You can check here or your email for updates and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
6ed0fb04
Community Member

Multiple Fraudulent Debit card charges!

I had never heard of upwork until I got notified of a possible unauthorized charge on my debit card. I have contacted my bank and they have cancelled my card. They are researching the THREE charges. The amount of the three transactions are over $2K dollars in total from my personal banking account. There are reference numbers attached to each transaction and one has processed through already for over $700. My credit card company is now investigating this matter, but could you please look into this at your end? I will provide more infomation. 

Hi Shawna,

I see you've also submitted a request with our support team about this concern. Let me go ahead and share the information you provided here with them and we'll continue assisting you with this directly via that support ticket. You'll be receiving email notifications about any updates on your support ticket.

Thanks for your patience while we're looking into this. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
14291caa
Community Member

i have two fraudulent charges on my credit card. I only made an account to find a way to address these charges!  please address asap!  

Never heard of upwork , two fraudulent charges. Please address asap!

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please send me a PM by clicking on my name? Please send the details for the account that had charges.

~ AJ
Upwork
9c182901
Community Member

Hi, I have also never heard of upwork.com. However, I received a notification about an authorised charge on my credit card today. I also contacted my credit card company and cancelled my card. Please cancel the fradulent transaction. The details are as follows:

Date: 2022-11-15

Time: 02:30 HKT

Amount: USD 826.88

Card Type: Mastercard

Last 4 Digits: 4970

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear about this experience, KK. 

I'll share this with the team so they can reach out to you directly and assist you further through an email. They will reach out to you through the email address associated with the account where you're posting from. 

~ Avery
Upwork
5bfeb152
Community Member

I have found 1 transaction for the same thing while doing business reconciliation. Never heard of Upwork until now. Now have Business Debit card frozen.

Charge Date: 01/11/2022

ID: Upwork -525594808JobPost

Amount: AUD 47.76

Value Date: 30/10/2022

Hi Jason,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I have escalated your concern to our team so that they can check and investigate. One of our team members will reach out to you directly through the email address you used to post here. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
6c155f69
Community Member

Hi,

I have had the exact thing happen to me too... in Australia and 2 credit cards charges over $2800. ! to each of my credit cards.

Both have been cancelled by the bank and under invetigation. Each transaction has a reference number as well.

Hi Greg,

I have escalated this report to the team so that they can check and assist you further. One of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
6c155f69
Community Member

Hi Upwork,

I have never heard of you or dealt with you but...

Can you please check on your end whats going on here as I have had the same issue as Rick R... 2 transactions on 2 credit cards charges over $2800. ! 

Both have been cancelled by the bank and under invetigation. Each transaction has a reference number as well so happy to provide in PM.

6dd0d81b
Community Member

Hi, there!

Two fraudulent charges to my credit card on July 30th, 2022 as well! They are over $600, and each of the transactions are attached with a reference number. I already reported them to my bank, which is investigating the fraud. I never heard Upwork before, and created this account of mine just for the sake of disputing. Please address this fraud as soon as possible. 

Hi Max,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
yofazza
Community Member

Card Owners,

Your cards are being used here to:

- Purchase free work from freelancers (because bank will take the money back).

- Con freelancers by "telling" them to send real money, vouchers, etc., in exchange for a "soon-to-be-charged-back" fund.

Your card information was leaked somewhere else. On convenience store nearby, or on websites that does not adhere to Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.

Even right now there are still legitimate and BBB A+ rated websites that asks for credit card info in plain text. You should not do payments on sites like this because some of their employess, also me and any freelancers who are working on such sites, can see your card information.

e00265d0
Community Member

Same as above, never heard of this platform before and got two charges for it, has been reported to bank as found two of the pending charges, pleass support team contact me to work this out.

Hi Zhe Sian,

I'm sorry to hear about these unauthorized charges on your account. I'll have one of our team members reach out to you via a support ticket to sort this out. You can access your ticket on this page and please don't hesitate to communicate with the team and provide all necessary details so that they can have this resolved immediately.

~ Arjay
Upwork
40e3ebc2
Community Member

Hi,

I'm also experiencing fraudulent charges around $700, yet I've never heard of Upwork before I saw it on my bank account. Could someone on the support team please reach out?

feb84293
Community Member

Hi, 

Also received 2 unauthorised charges to my credit card from Upwork - have never accessed the site before this.

Can you contact me please to sort things out.

Hi Jonyangz and Derek,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your concerns with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
3f44a77d
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

I have also been affected by these fraudalent transactions. I have 3 of these transactions on my credit card. Can you please investigate as well?

thanks

Hi Myron,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to review your request and reach out to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Aj,

Thanks for reaching out.

it has been 4 days and no one from your team has contacted me/replied to my ticket yet.

could you please assist to check on this?

Upwork have already claimed these transactions under my card and they are not "Pending" transactions anymore.

please check asap as it is ridiculous that I'm being charged by upwork for these fraudulent transactions.

thank you

Hi Myron,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience as our team is currently receiving an unusually higher volume of requests. I reached out to the team to follow up on your support ticket. One of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

I have also received a fraudelent charge from Upwork and is the only reason I created an account here. I have the reference number of the transaction. Like others my credit card is investigating this matter, but the charge was for almost $400 US! Please address this issue as well.

Hi Nicole,

We totally understand how alarming this incident is for you. I have escalated your report to the appropriate team and one of the members will be reaching out to you via email with further assistance. Please don't hesitate to communicate with the team and cooperate with all the information/documentation you have so that they can assist you more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
449a7c83
Community Member

Exact same story, never heard and never used Upwork until my credit card was fraudly charged for $3,000+ via by Upwork vendor. Reference number of the transaction is available, the issue has been already communicated to my bank for investigation. Kindly request your support team to reach me out for a timely intervention. 

Hi Maksim,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
0595f9b6
Community Member

Also in the same boat. Have received a charge for approximately $600 and approximately $400 on my card. Would like your support team to intervene as well.

laalaoui_imad
Community Member

Hello,

I've just been charged 1057.5 USD now from my credit card by upwork where I didn't have any activity on my account since years which means nothing has been initiated from my side, the bank informed me that there was a tentative on 15th August for same but didn't succeed due to low balance, but now I got deducted this big amount.

Please support to get back this money ASAP 

Thanks

Hi Derek and Laalaoui,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your reports with our team and one of our agents will reach out to each of you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
mhdlh
Community Member

I really wondering reading those compaints,using terms like fraudent!!! I trust upwork. Good Luck!

9eefe309
Community Member

It's because our cards are being used fraudulently to pay for Upwork services we never asked for.  It is not upwork which is the problem it is scammers using Upwork's platform. 

9eefe309
Community Member

my account was just charged over $400 today and I've never used Upwork either! 

Hi Monique,

I'm sorry to hear about this unauthorized charge on your account. I have escalated your report to the appropriate team. Rest assured that they will have this issue reviewed and take action accordingly. Kindly expect an update via email or you can also communicate with the team via this support ticket that's been set up with your concern. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
45bb87ab
Community Member

I also have a fraudulent charge on my credit card and cannot figure out how to talk to anyone on this website. Is there no support staff here? 

Hi Mara,

I'm sorry to hear about this unexpected charge on your account and we appreciate you reporting it. I have escalated your report to the appropriate team. Rest assured that they will have this issue reviewed and take action accordingly. Kindly expect an update via email where you can coordinate with the team as well.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5d750679
Community Member

I have the same situation with an unauthorized charged on my credit card. Can you please urgently refund this back to my credit card?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths