🐈
» Forums » Support » pointless re-verify
Page options
slawomir_rewaj
Community Member

pointless re-verify

Hello,

I'm a top rated freelancer and I verified my identity last month. Now I have got the same request again.

Taking 10 minutes to do it is not a big deal, although I would prefer that Upwork respects my time rather then feeling entitled to waste it on pointless excercises.
I have passed it and it was no different then the previous one.

The bigger issue is that my account is on temporary hold and it lasts longer then 10 minutes. Upwork claims that it has up to 48 hours to release it.
I'm worried about how this is presented to the clients.

The main question is - why do Upwork even does it so often? Do you think that my identity changed within a month?

Kind regards

Slawek

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jae Sung, 

At times, for a variety of reasons, we need to ask our users to verify their identity or other information. Please know we do try to avoid doing this repeatedly. However, as part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, we must reach out to users again sometimes. We apologize for the inconvenience.

To verify your identity, log into your Upwork account and click on “Settings.” In the left-hand column, choose “Identity Verification.” Follow the steps there to begin verification. For tips on correctly completing the process and details about the documents needed, click here.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

642 REPLIES 642
d7f0c067
Community Member

Hello,

Today I received an Email from upwork that please verify your identity again. I have already done it twice in the last year. Is it necessary to do it repeatedly? I have sent a scanned copy of my driving license. Can you tell me how much time it will take for verification? Last time, I took a picture with my mobile and sent it, and the verification was completed in 30 seconds. But this time it didn't happen. Can someone guide me?

Thank you
Muhammad Annus

Hi Muhammad,

We understand you may have verified your identity in the past. We ask freelancers to re-verify because periodic checks ensure that their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as we can and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community. We hope you understand and we would appreciate your complete cooperation.

Feel free to coordinate with the team by responding to the email sent by the team and they will surely assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
gaurav_vanani
Community Member

Due to name was not found in my secondary document, I have re-submitted the my legal documents to upwork , But I am not getting any response since last 3 - 4 days. May I know how much time it'll take to review Or please do let me know if there is any issue with my submitted documents.

Here is the document submitted link .

Hi Gaurav,

Thank you for your message. I see that your account is already verified now.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
susanwinlowmedia
Community Member

Help!

I've been with Upwork for 3.5 years working for the same major client. We work regularly scheduled hours. I attempted to re-verify my ID on 4/13 and it says it needs 1-3 business days to do so. I only have until April 17, which is 2 business days. Weekends are work days for most of us, so your Monday-Friday schedule caught me off guard. I'm unsure of what the issue could be as nothing has changed for me the entire time I've been here. The ID is the same. Can you please tell me how I can ensure I'm re-verified on time so no one is inconvenienced? I attempted a support ticket but it went around and circles never allowing me to fill out a ticket. I really need to speak to a human. Please advise. Thank you! 

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your message. I have followed up with the team handling your request and I am pleased to inform you that your verification is complete now.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hello Pradeep. I trust you are doing great. 
Upwork asked me to verify my account and I had done that already before. As a matter of fact, I've got my verification badge and I still have access to my account and I still send proposals. 

A client of mine sent me a job today and now I don't know if I should accept to do the job or not because I'm not sure if my funds will be released.

Please look into this.

I've been using my account for a long time ago and I've my verification badge already 

Hi Praise,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
d96b9138
Community Member

Hi. I submitted my İD for re-verify. It's been three days ago, but for some reason they haven't approved it yet. Can I find out when it is ready? And why did the service decide to double-check my ID? Could it be the reason to use a VPN?

Hi Elvin,

In this case, you were asked to verify your account a few months ago for the ID-Verification Badge. This request that you received is for Location Verification which is a separate process. Although it may seem that the processes are the same, they are for different purposes. On Upwork, users may be asked to verify their identities from time to time. You may read more about it in Section 1.6 Identity and Location Verification of the Upwork User Agreement. The notification on your account will go away once the verification is complete. If the team needs any clarification from you, they will reach out directly.

~Andrea
Upwork
d96b9138
Community Member

Hi Andrea. I see what you mean.Do clients see that my İD is not verified in my account?

Elvin

Hi Elvin,

Arjay here stepping in for Andrea. Clients will not be seeing the “Identity Verified” badge next to your name if you haven't verified your account. Please be aware that if you do not verify your identity within seven days of notification, we will place a hold on your account. This will prevent you from withdrawing earnings, submitting proposals for new jobs, accepting direct hires, or appearing in search results. Any active proposals submitted will be canceled as well. However, you can still work on existing contracts. We will be glad to remove the hold once you have verified your identity.

We highly suggest you check this help article for you to be more acquainted with how the procedures work.

~ Arjay
Upwork
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

I am trying to re-verify.  When I click on the month and year of my birth, then click "apply", nothing happens. I have cleared cache and cookies, etc.

Hi Mary

Apart from selecting Month & Year, pls select the date also. May be you are missing to add date.

Thanx

mary_ts
Community Member

Hi,
I would like an agent to reach back to me for this, please. I have already raised a ticket with support (#40114527)
I started the ID verification process today and accidentally uploaded my ID photo twice where I should have uploaded a supporting document verifying my location with a utility bill. The verification process was completed without it and now I'm waiting to hear back within 1 business day. Will it be possible to restart the process and upload the documents correctly or will my account be suspended because of this?
Thank you.

mehmood-muhammad
Community Member

Hi,

I have the same problem. I just changed my apartment address as I moved to a new one within the same city and same country. But as soon as I changed it, all hell was breakout. Now, I have to send the verification documents again and also to the bank? I didn't know that a small change can cause me so much headache.

Hi M. Asim,

Thank you for your message. I see that the verification requested on your account is a requirement from your bank to accept your fund withdrawal. I can see that you've already submitted the documents. One of our team members will review and update your account as soon as possible. You can access your support tickets here . Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
e88be74a
Community Member

Hello, 

Kindly help me to look into my account. I submitted document today for location verification.  Please help me to complete my request. 

Thanks 

c3370d72
Community Member

I can't verify my identity. It just tells me to come back later. Over and over again.

Hi Amy,

I'm sorry to learn that you're having difficulties verifying your ID. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket about your concern. Rest assured that it's been escalated to the appropriate team for further review and you will be getting an update here once done.

~ Arjay
Upwork
rahul-jayantilal
Community Member

Hello Community, I'm already verified on Upwork ( Please see attached) Yet for some reason Upwork is asking me to reverify my identity again. (Please see attached) 

Due to this, I'm unable to send any proposals. Whenever I click on the button 'Submit proposal' Upwork redirects me to the 'Identification page' 

Can someone assist me here? Much appreciated.

Rahul J

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
serlyskin
Community Member

Greetings, fellow Upwork community members!

I recently received an email regarding the re-verification of my submitted bank statement, and I'm seeking some clarification on the matter.

I took care to ensure that the bank statement I submitted aligned perfectly with the requirements outlined in your email. It includes all the specified details, such as the date (within the last 6 months), accurate name and address matching my Upwork profile, the bank's name, and contact information, which includes both the phone number and fax.

However, despite my efforts to meet all the criteria, I was surprised to receive a request for re-verification. I am genuinely puzzled as to why this is the case and would greatly appreciate some clarification on the matter.

Understanding the exact reason for the request for re-verification will not only help me address any potential issues promptly but also ensure that I can confidently resubmit the required documentation with absolute accuracy.

Your prompt response and guidance in this regard would be highly valuable to me. I believe that this clarification will not only resolve my confusion but also contribute to a smoother verification process.

Thank you for your attention and support. I look forward to your explanation and insights on this matter.

Best regards,

Serhii Lyskin

Hi Serhii,

I understand you want our advice regarding how you can complete the verification process. I checked your account and the support ticket regarding this issue and can assure you that the right people to ask would be the ones you're already in contact with. The verification process is not the same for everyone as you live in different countries and the information or document required may not be the same for everybody. So I highly suggest updating your support ticket and direct any additional questions that you may have to the support team so they can assist you more effriciently.

~ AJ
Upwork
07004cab
Community Member

Dear Upwork Support,

I hope this email finds you well. My name is Sameer Shahjahan, and I am facing an issue while trying to add my card to my Upwork account.

When attempting to add my card, I encountered an error message stating, "Unfortunately, we were unable to process your transaction." I have attached a screenshot of the error for your reference.

I have already completed the verification process by providing my ID details and bank statement. Despite successfully completing the verification, I am still unable to add connects to my account. This limitation is hindering my ability to proceed with my projects and connect purchases.

Furthermore, I have not received any further verification emails from Upwork since completing the initial verification process. This lack of communication is concerning, and I would appreciate your assistance in resolving this matter promptly.

Could you please look into this issue and help me understand why I am unable to add my card and purchase connects?

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response and a resolution to the problem.

Best regards,

Sameer Shahjahan

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Muhammad,

I understand you need help with your account verification and are seeking clarity on what you can do to complete this process. Upon checking your account, it looks like you're already being assisted by one of our support team who I can assure you, is the best person to ask this question to. Please feel free to update your ticket so they can assist you more efficiently.

~ AJ
Upwork
a_badr_eldin
Community Member

I've been an Upwork freelancer since 2020, and I've never encountered any issues with clients. However, a week ago, I entered into a direct contract with a client outside of Upwork, who was referred to me by another client. After the client paid for the project, my Upwork account had its financial account restricted. Upwork's support team requested identity verification, despite my having completed it previously. They asked about the recent transaction, how I met the client, and requested screenshots of our conversations and project details. Despite providing accurate answers and screenshots of conversations and passing the identity verification, my financial account remains suspended. I was assigned ticket number #41878903 to agent Colby, but he seems to have abandoned the ticket and hasn't responded after the verification for 2 days. I've observed similar issues affecting other freelancers lately. It's challenging to decide whether to focus on completing projects or addressing payment and account suspension concerns with Upwork. My client even suggested refunding the money and using PayPal. I'm hopeful that a community manager could look into my situation

Hi Ahmed Mohamed,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We understand you may have verified your identity in the past. However, we ask freelancers to re-verify because periodic checks ensure that their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as we can and we thank you for your contribution in keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

Please allow our team time and you will getting an update on your ticket here once your case is thoroughly reviewed. Please understand that goal which is to make this process as seamless as we can and we thank you for your contribution in keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

~ Arjay
Upwork

The ticket was created 6 days ago, how much time should I wait before considering it abandoned?

Hi Ahmed,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I followed up with the team about your open support ticket. Kindly allow them 24-48 hours to reach out to you again. Rest assured that your ticket is not abandoned and someone will be in touch soon.

~ AJ
Upwork
a_badr_eldin
Community Member

Thank you, Annie. I will be waiting. I hope they do as it's the third day in row with no answer although I passed all verifications they required.

a534ee3c
Community Member

Hi,

So I went to go and buy some more connects, and I put in my credit card. 

However when i clicked auto-fill it put my last name in twice as both my first and last name.

Now Upwork is trying to get me to verify the name Mustafa Mustafa and has paused my account, I've tried everything to try and contact them but to no avail.

Can someone help me or direct me to the right channel to get it sorted.

Thanks

Ali

Hi Ali,

We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your verification anyway. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

~ AJ
Upwork
a3fdb40b
Community Member

i Also wanna change my verified name

Smrizvi

because i need to upload my goverment id to verfy and i have a diffrent name

Smrizvi

Hi syed,

We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

~ AJ
Upwork
dbcdb21e
Community Member

Hello My fellow upworkers. I can't able verify my Id. I have attached screenshot of it. When I file an appeal regarding this. It will be closed automatically.After some time. What should I do about it.

Hi Sunil,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue and are now being assisted by one of our agents. Please feel free to update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello Ms Annie,

Thank you for replying, But my support ticket automatically closed without getting any reply.

And support ticket that I file also been closed.

Hi Sunil,

When the ticket is marked as solved, it does not necessarily mean the support team is closing it and you will not be able to communicate with them anymore. If you update the ticket by responding to it either on the support ticket itself or the corresponding email, it should reopen the ticket and the same support agent assisting you will see you have additional concerns and will assist you further.

Please feel free to update the ticket so they can assist you more efficiently.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths