Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

I'm getting next to no work.

Active Member
Frank D Member Since: May 17, 2019
1 of 18

I joined Upwork last year having graduated from university and have applied for every job in my field of expertise that has appeared. Of the 300+ projects that I have applied for, I have been awarded a mere seven. Even though I have the qualifications and the expertise to prove it, I keep getting ignored. Why is this happening?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 18

re: "I'm getting next to no work"

 

Well, you are an "English - French/Spanish translator and proofreader"

 

What do you expect?

 

How many people really need things translated into French/Spanish?

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
3 of 18

Preston H wrote:

re: "I'm getting next to no work"

 

Well, you are an "English - French/Spanish translator and proofreader"

 

What do you expect?

 

How many people really need things translated into French/Spanish?


I can't figure out if you're joking or not. Over 500 million people in the world speak Spanish, and over 200 million speak French. There's a ton of work available. I personally have three friends who work full-time just as either French or Spanish translators (not both), and they make **bleep** good money, too.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
4 of 18

Christine A wrote:


I can't figure out if you're joking or not. Over 500 million people in the world speak Spanish, and over 200 million speak French. There's a ton of work available. I personally have three friends who work full-time just as either French or Spanish translators (not both), and they make **bleep** good money, too.


OT - sorry for responding to my own post, but I just realised that Upwork bleeped me for using a harmless four-letter word beginning with the word "d". Seriously, Upwork? Even my own elderly, religious mother doesn't count that as a swear word.

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
5 of 18


Christine A wrote:

Christine A wrote:


I can't figure out if you're joking or not. Over 500 million people in the world speak Spanish, and over 200 million speak French. There's a ton of work available. I personally have three friends who work full-time just as either French or Spanish translators (not both), and they make **bleep** good money, too.


OT - sorry for responding to my own post, but I just realised that Upwork bleeped me for using a harmless four-letter word beginning with the word "d". Seriously, Upwork? Even my own elderly, religious mother doesn't count that as a swear word.


Is that new? Instead of writing "nonsense" I used the s-alternative and got edited.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
6 of 18

Jennifer R wrote:


Christine A wrote:

Christine A wrote:


I can't figure out if you're joking or not. Over 500 million people in the world speak Spanish, and over 200 million speak French. There's a ton of work available. I personally have three friends who work full-time just as either French or Spanish translators (not both), and they make **bleep** good money, too.


OT - sorry for responding to my own post, but I just realised that Upwork bleeped me for using a harmless four-letter word beginning with the word "d". Seriously, Upwork? Even my own elderly, religious mother doesn't count that as a swear word.


Is that new? Instead of writing "nonsense" I used the s-alternative and got edited.


I guess Upwork must have gotten some complaints, or the censoring wouldn't have been implemented, but it's at the extreme end of prudery not to allow s--t or d--m. Is there a list of prohibited words somewhere? I was a bit shocked when I was "bleeped" like that, and I'd hate for anyone to think that I said something really extreme or rude, when I didn't!

 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 18

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:


Christine A wrote:

Christine A wrote:


I can't figure out if you're joking or not. Over 500 million people in the world speak Spanish, and over 200 million speak French. There's a ton of work available. I personally have three friends who work full-time just as either French or Spanish translators (not both), and they make **bleep** good money, too.


OT - sorry for responding to my own post, but I just realised that Upwork bleeped me for using a harmless four-letter word beginning with the word "d". Seriously, Upwork? Even my own elderly, religious mother doesn't count that as a swear word.


Is that new? Instead of writing "nonsense" I used the s-alternative and got edited.


I guess Upwork must have gotten some complaints, or the censoring wouldn't have been implemented, but it's at the extreme end of prudery not to allow s--t or d--m. Is there a list of prohibited words somewhere? I was a bit shocked when I was "bleeped" like that, and I'd hate for anyone to think that I said something really extreme or rude, when I didn't!

 


__________________________

I think Upwork has always bleeped denmad offenders. It works backwards mostly. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 18

Jennifer R wrote:

Is that new? Instead of writing "nonsense" I used the s-alternative and got edited.


Can't say n.i.p it in the bud either Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
9 of 18

Jennifer M wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Is that new? Instead of writing "nonsense" I used the s-alternative and got edited.


Can't say n.i.p it in the bud either Smiley Very Happy


Instead of the often used "That's nonsense" I wrote "That's stup*d"

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
10 of 18

That kind of censorship is all automated, based on a word list. Witness what the robots do when you mention the name of the comedian and actor who had a popular eponymous sitcom in the 60s, played opposite Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins, and had further success with a long-running dramatic show in which he played a lawyer: Dick Van Dyke Van Dick Van Dyke Van Dyke.

 

edited to add: How weird, the robot seems to be going out of its way to prove me wrong.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS