Page options
Petra R Community Member

Coronavirus

So, today this happens.

not so funny.jpg

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We understand this topic is still ongoing and affecting our Community members. Please, feel free to start a new thread to continue discussing the latest news around the pandemic.

~Andrea

View solution in original post

825 REPLIES 825
Irene B Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

On a lighter note from my neck of the woods, the chickens are settled in and their coop is 99% complete. They enjoy going around the garden and have become quite tame. Two of them Petra and Saartjie, have taken well to being petted. It's a good thing we have them for eggs. Would NEVER be able to eat them...unless forced to 😉 

Phyllis G Community Member

Petra R wrote:

I just don't understand why governments do not look at South Korea and use what has been shown / proven to be an effective and (in comparison much less destructive to the economy) way to handle it.

Every answer I come up with in my head would likely be moderated.

Rene K Community Member

Coronavirus Pandemic Update 47: Searching for Immunity Boosters & Possible Lessons From Spanish Flu

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Petra R Community Member

Rene K wrote:

Coronavirus Pandemic Update 47: Searching for Immunity Boosters & Possible Lessons From Spanish Flu

That's very good!!!

Right Italy's numbers: new infections up from yesterday by some 630 (hopefully a blip rather than a trend reversal) and deaths still brutally high but much lower than recent days at 727.

Over 200k cases in the USA now, and we crossed the 900k barrier worldwide. Spain over 100k but lower cases than yesterday.

UK a record day for cases (although in fairness they are ramping up testing or trying to anyway, so that will make numbers look bad for a bit) and deaths at 563.

France not in yet, Germany was updated very late yesterday, so not trusting the less-than-4000 just yet.

Stay safe everyone.

Roslen M Community Member

This is a great site that shows the world view of what's going on https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Is there another one that is more up to date?

Petra R Community Member

Today's graphs

You'll notice it has gained a new line (the lime-coloured one)

The first person to figure out what it represents, wins.

cases April 2.png

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -

deaths 2 April.png

Irene B Community Member

Our saving grace thus far is that we have high summer temperatures...flu season starts soon as we head into winter.

David M Community Member

I'm guessing your lime green line is your educated guess of where Italy will be tommorow if they report the same infections as the day before?  I got 115257 though...

Petra R Community Member

David M wrote:

I'm guessing your lime green line is your educated guess of where Italy will be tommorow if they report the same infections as the day before?  I got 115257 though...

Nice try. But no. It's another number I have been tracking for 8 days now (which is why the line spans 8 days) and wish I had started tracking much earlier

😉

Rene K Community Member

Folding@Home vs Covid:

WHAT YOU CAN DO

1. Donate computing power:
Downloading Folding@home and helping us run simulations is the primary way to contribute. These calculations are enormous and every little bit helps! Each simulation you run is like buying a lottery ticket. The more tickets we buy, the better our chances of hitting the jackpot. Usually, your computer will never be idle, but we’ve had such an enthusiastic response to our COVID-19 work that you will see some intermittent downtime as we sprint to setup more simulations. Please be patient with us! There is a lot of valuable science to be done, and we’re getting it running as quickly as we can...

Learn more...

I just rented a VPS to run Folding@Home 24/7

-----------
Ravindra B Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Today's graphs

deaths 2 April.png

Wow. The graphs for the U.S. and UK are really steep.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Virginia F Community Member

My older brother was admitted to the hospital with the virus last Monday night (the 30th). He has been sedated since then and we hold out hope that because he's held out this long, he'll come through this. My niece (his daughter) lives in Colorado, as I do … my brother is in a hospital on Long Island. It's another layer of awfulness that people can't be in physical contact with their sick loved ones.

Sometimes in times like these, we tend to think it can't happen to us or anyone close to us, but this thing throws all that out the window. For me, there is no degree of separation .... it's brought it all home, literally.

Take care of yourselves my forum friends.

Kumari A Community Member

Hi Virginia, Cant even imagine what you must be going through right now. Yes, you are absolutely right, untill it actually happen we are in denial and think it cant happen to us. 

Hope your brother gets well soon. 

Petra R Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

My older brother was admitted to the hospital with the virus last Monday night (the 30th). He has been sedated since then and we hold out hope that because he's held out this long, he'll come through this. My niece (his daughter) lives in Colorado, as I do … my brother is in a hospital on Long Island. It's another layer of awfulness that people can't be in physical contact with their sick loved ones.

Oh Virginia, that is so awful, I am so sorry. Hugs! Be safe!

Virginia F wrote:

Sometimes in times like these, we tend to think it can't happen to us or anyone close to us, but this thing throws all that out the window. 

YES! That's what I've been saying for ages!

Petra R Community Member

Italy numbers are out. Pretty much the same as yesterday, which is good news, because they aren't going up day on day anymore, and people are recovering.

UK looking bad, but they would at this stage I'm afraid.

Germany and Spain, if final, looking promising, France not out yet!

Graphs tomorrow.

Maria T Community Member

Virginia, I'm so sorry.
I hope everything goes well and you have good news soon, and you can tell us.
¡Fuerza!

Ravindra B Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

Sometimes in times like these, we tend to think it can't happen to us or anyone close to us, but this thing throws all that out the window. For me, there is no degree of separation .... it's brought it all home, literally.

Take care of yourselves my forum friends.

Sad. Hope he recovers.

Here is what I suspected all along (with mass infections in cruise ships):

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/you-may-be-able-spread-coronavirus-just-breathing-new-report...

Take care.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Phyllis G Community Member

Virginia, I am so very sorry, and hope you have better news soon. 

Thank you everyone for your well-wishes ... they are most appreciated.

Janean L Community Member

Best wishes, best hopes, for your brother, you, and your family, Virginia!

Rene K Community Member

Coronavirus Pandemic Update 49: New Data on COVID-19 vs Other Viral Infections (Ventilator Outcomes)

-----------
Petra R Community Member

Rene K wrote:

Coronavirus Pandemic Update 49: New Data on COVID-19 vs Other Viral Infections (Ventilator Outcomes)

Love this, and Thank You for sharing!!! Keep them coming.

Nichola L Community Member

I think there is room for optimism, but not euphoria. Dr Seheult's statistics are outdated by at least a day. 

http://prntscr.com/rsitkq

The world still has a long way to go to overcome the virus (and future viruses). Recovery is going to be slow in every sense and the backlash is going to be hard for governments to handle. We are really all going to have to row hard against the tide to make peaceful relations work. 

There is not going to be an easy political or economic bounce back however much, individually, we all want this.

Janean L wrote:

Best wishes, best hopes, for your brother, you, and your family, Virginia!

Thanks Janean ... it makes me happy to see you in the forums again. You've been missed.

Nazia Rahman U Community Member

Hi
How are you all?

Stay Safe guys Smiley Very Happy

Latest Articles
Learning Paths