Coronavirus

So, today this happens.

not so funny.jpg

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We understand this topic is still ongoing and affecting our Community members. Please, feel free to start a new thread to continue discussing the latest news around the pandemic.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

825 REPLIES 825
petra_r
Community Member

And in case anyone was wondering how Sweden's "Let's keep most things running" policy is working out compared to its Skandinavian neighbours:

Sweden.pngSweden deaths per Million.png

The answer is: Not so well.

Sweden: that's terrible news. The good point is that this highlights the necessity of confinement, but the price to pay for this "experiment" is high.

Petra R wrote:

And in case anyone was wondering how Sweden's "Let's keep most things running" policy is working out compared to its Skandinavian neighbours:

Sweden.pngSweden deaths per Million.png

The answer is: Not so well.

Tomorrow kindergarten reopen in Norway. Norwegians have been neglecting to keep their distance in the past two weeks and I expect the number of death to go up. Many students did travel home for Easter and I saw countless grandparents with their grandchilderen in the past days. Noone uses masks and people hardly ever keep their distance. The problem with the numbers is that noone is tested in Norway until it is too late.

Our beaches reopen tomorrow.  We had the largest one day increase in cases yesterday (in Mississippi) but that might just be due to massive testing.  Our beaches are seldom crowded and especially since there are no tourists in town we should be okay.  Schools closed until next school year - no one knows if school will go back early.  (Normally they open in mid August).  I have to go to the doctor Thursday which will be my first trip to the Real World in 4 weeks.

Jennifer R wrote:

Tomorrow kindergarten reopen in Norway. Norwegians have been neglecting to keep their distance in the past two weeks and I expect the number of death to go up. 

Still, at the moment Norway is doing well. Better than Germany as far as deaths go actually!

Mary W wrote:

Our beaches reopen tomorrow. Our beaches are seldom crowded and especially since there are no tourists in town we should be okay.  

Uncrowded beaches don't pose a huge danger I don't think. 

Mary W wrote:

I have to go to the doctor Thursday which will be my first trip to the Real World in 4 weeks.

It gets to the point where the whole concept of going to a crowded place appears such a weird concept.

Mary W wrote:

We had the largest one day increase in cases yesterday (in Mississippi) but that might just be due to massive testing.  

That's why I started calculating the actual percentage of tests with a positive result for Italy. The testing numbers have been up and down, so obviously the number of reported cases goes up and down, too.

Today's charts:

cases 20 April.pngdeaths 20 April.png

Next curves to watch out for: Turkey, and especially Russia, where the curve for reported cases is very steep indeed, but deaths are (so far) low. It looks like they are testing very aggressively, which has made all the difference in other countries to keep deaths low. We'll see.

reinierb
Community Member

@petra_r wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Tomorrow kindergarten reopen in Norway. Norwegians have been neglecting to keep their distance in the past two weeks and I expect the number of death to go up. 

Still, at the moment Norway is doing well. Better than Germany as far as deaths go actually!

Mary W wrote:

Our beaches reopen tomorrow. Our beaches are seldom crowded and especially since there are no tourists in town we should be okay.  

Uncrowded beaches don't pose a huge danger I don't think. 

Mary W wrote:

I have to go to the doctor Thursday which will be my first trip to the Real World in 4 weeks.

It gets to the point where the whole concept of going to a crowded place appears such a weird concept.

Mary W wrote:

We had the largest one day increase in cases yesterday (in Mississippi) but that might just be due to massive testing.  

That's why I started calculating the actual percentage of tests with a positive result for Italy. The testing numbers have been up and down, so obviously the number of reported cases goes up and down, too.

Today's charts:

cases 20 April.pngdeaths 20 April.png

Next curves to watch out for: Turkey, and especially Russia, where the curve for reported cases is very steep indeed, but deaths are (so far) low. It looks like they are testing very aggressively, which has made all the difference in other countries to keep deaths low. We'll see.

Is there any clarity yet on why the death rate in Germany is so low compared to other EU countries? 

Petra maybe you'll be interested in this article.

petra_r
Community Member

Reinier B wrote:

Is there any clarity yet on why the death rate in Germany is so low compared to other EU countries? 

There are endless theories. I wouldn't say there is "clarity" though, no.

It seems that the key is a good health system and early, aggressive testing.

That said, some other European countries are doing even better than Germany when you look at deaths per Million population... they are simply not under the spotlight as much.

Look

Germany.png

On Our World In Data you can add countries to various graphs. Great stuff!!

Valerio S wrote:

You had to make me read Italian lol!

Great article and written clearly!

Valerio S wrote:

You have no idea how frustrating it is when you can understand only about 25% of something that you really want to read 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Mary W wrote:

Our beaches reopen tomorrow.  We had the largest one day increase in cases yesterday (in Mississippi) but that might just be due to massive testing.  Our beaches are seldom crowded and especially since there are no tourists in town we should be okay.  Schools closed until next school year - no one knows if school will go back early.  (Normally they open in mid August).  I have to go to the doctor Thursday which will be my first trip to the Real World in 4 weeks.

My relatives in the Florida Panhandle are very concerned that their beaches will re-open soon -- the decision is left to the counties in Florida -- and tourists will come flooding back. 

Phyllis G wrote:

My relatives in the Florida Panhandle are very concerned that their beaches will re-open soon -- the decision is left to the counties in Florida -- and tourists will come flooding back. 

Beaches are not the main problem.

What happens before people get to the beaches (travel etc) and what happens when people are there but not on the beach (hotels, bars, discos, clubs and so on) is where it gets passed on...

Rene, that's how I feel with so many articles in languages I don't speak understand well enough to join the blanks together.

Rene K wrote:

Valerio S wrote:

You have no idea how frustrating it is when you can understand only about 25% of something that you really want to read 🙂

You are allowed to use machine translation for personal use.

Jennifer R wrote:

I know, right? But when you speak French, Italian sounds so within reach...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

I known, right? But when you speak French, Italian sounds so within reach...

I can read simple French well enough to make sense of it. I've never officially learned French but having grown up near the French border we went to Straßbourg often and my best friend from when I was little moved to France so I was there quite a lot. Spanish less so but weirdly I understand clear spoken Spanish better than spoken French.

Petra R wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Beaches are not the main problem.

What happens before people get to the beaches (travel etc) and what happens when people are there but not on the beach (hotels, bars, discos, clubs and so on) is where it gets passed on...

Rene, that's how I feel with so many articles in languages I don't speak understand well enough to join the blanks together.

Yes, the worry is people coming from out of town and flooding the local essential businesses, i.e. grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations. Local residents can avoid restaurants, bars, etc. but it won't do any good if a new wave of infection is brought into the community. It will be incredibly frustrating for those who have been sequestering for months, giving up all of their usual activities, if the floodgates open and they're again inundated with visitors.

Italy reports the lowest number of new cases since March 13. The number of active cases declines for the first time. 

New cases 2,256  new deaths 454

The light at the end of the tunnel looks pretty real from where I'm sitting. 

🙂

Rene K wrote:

Valerio S wrote:

Oh, I do! I had the exact same feeling when I started reading articles in German, it's getting better now, but sometimes it comes back and punches me in the face.

Petra wrote "I can read simple French well enough to make sense of it. I've never officially learned French but having grown up near the French border we went to Straßbourg often and my best friend from when I was little moved to France so I was there quite a lot. Spanish less so but weirdly I understand clear spoken Spanish better than spoken French."

IMHO, while the languages both are Latin based, the Spanish use more vocal intonation and body language then the French.

Wendy C wrote:

Petra wrote "I can read simple French well enough to make sense of it. I've never officially learned French but having grown up near the French border we went to Straßbourg often and my best friend from when I was little moved to France so I was there quite a lot. Spanish less so but weirdly I understand clear spoken Spanish better than spoken French."

IMHO, while the languages both are Latin based, the Spanish use more vocal intonation and body language then the French.

Spoken Spanish is closer to Italian than French. Good point about "Latin based"- I did learn Latin for 8 years at school.

Today's charts, which are looking pretty promising!

cases 21 April.pngdeaths April 21.png

Petra R wrote:

Wendy C wrote:

Spoken Spanish is closer to Italian than French. Good point about "Latin based"- I did learn Latin for 8 years at school.

My personal observation is that if you meet someone with fluent Spanish but an Italian accent, he is from Argentina. I find spoken French easier to follow than written, while it is the other way around with Portuguese.

Jennifer R wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Wendy C wrote:

My personal observation is that if you meet someone with fluent Spanish but an Italian accent, he is from Argentina. I find spoken French easier to follow than written, while it is the other way around with Portuguese.

Both English and French, I can understand them (to say something) better written than spoken.
And I think it is because they do not "speak" (especially in English) what is written. I do not know if I explain.

Because I studied French all through school I can read it and Spanish - certainly not fluently but adequately. Understanding both about  60-70% of the time/content. Speaking either > only when in-country. Gotta love immersion. 😉

Maria, English is illogical.  Pronunciation and grammar ...

No charts today because I can't find the excel book. 😞 Just an error message.

The curves have been looking pretty much the same lately anyway... 

Italy has seen a decrease of the currently infected people for the second day running, and the lowest percentage of positive tests at 5.2% to date. We are expecting an announcement that some more restrictions will be lifted any day now. 

I am watching the Spanish numbers with some concern and am wondering whether they might have opened up a little too early and a bit much.

Meanwhile, I think the Swedish experiment of not doing much can probably safely be called a failure 😞

Spain just extended the lockdown period thru mid-May and possibly further -

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52380654

Latest Articles
Learning Paths