cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Coronavirus

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
21 of 792
They tested a cruise ship crew member in nearby Hilo, HI after they became ill and fortunately the result was negative but I wouldn’t want to be on a cruise ship right now.
__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
22 of 792

John K wrote:
They tested a cruise ship crew member in nearby Hilo, HI after they became ill and fortunately the result was negative but I wouldn’t want to be on a cruise ship right now.


Nor me, but frankly I have never understood why anyone would ever possibly want to be trapped on some glorified ferry with thousands of random people.

 

I love the sea and used to sail, but even without any virus the whole concept of a cruise makes me shudder.

My idea of bliss on the water is a chartered sailing yacht and a small group of good friends.

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
23 of 792

My friend's daughter works on a cruise ship. She got a message the other day nobody wanted to allow the passengers to disembark at the port. Nobody on the ship is infected, apparently, but the relevant authorities say they don't want to take chances. Not sure if it has been resolved yet.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
24 of 792

Petra wrote:


Nor me, but frankly I have never understood why anyone would ever possibly want to be trapped on some glorified ferry with thousands of random people.

Why not? I've been considering living on a cruise ship for a while, think it sounds perfect for us freelancers. You can work comfortably, and whenever you want to go out for a bit you're in a new city if you match your days off so that's when the ship is in a new place. Sounds perfect to me. Just a shame it's so expensive. I wish they had discounts for full-time passengers.

 

 

________________________
Freelancing is a gamble - To win you need skill, luck and a strategy
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
25 of 792

Eve wrote:

Petra wrote:


Nor me, but frankly I have never understood why anyone would ever possibly want to be trapped on some glorified ferry with thousands of random people.

Why not? 

 


Because I am allegic to too many people crammed into a contained space. It's my idea of hell. I love people, provided I can choose who I spend time with, who surrounds me and, most importantly, have a way to get the hell away from them when I want to.

 

Eve wrote:

Petra, if you get too bored, travel south and come and visit. Bring some cats


Ah, but I'd have to bring Murphy (the dog) too Smiley Very Happy

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
26 of 792

Petra, thinking about it, it's probabaly best if you don't come and visit anyway. Not that I mind dogs at all, but just in case you've gotten the virus. I wouldn't want to be responsible for bringing Malta's patient zero here.

________________________
Freelancing is a gamble - To win you need skill, luck and a strategy
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
27 of 792

Eve L wrote:

. I wouldn't want to be responsible for bringing Malta's patient zero here.


 

It's getting a bit scary...

 

5 times as many new cases in little Italy than in China with its 1.4 billion people...

 

yikes.png

 

 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
28 of 792

After two years we decided was about time to go back and visit family and friends, we literally just bought our tickets to go back to Italy and Germany two days before this disaster happened...hopefully something good will happen in the next two months or I'm afraid we will have to cancel the trip.

Here in New Zealand the situation is not that bad but new cases are arising every day, the worst thing is hunting for toilet paper.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 792

Valerio S wrote:

After two years we decided was about time to go back and visit family and friends, we literally just bought our tickets to go back to Italy and Germany two days before this disaster happened...hopefully something good will happen in the next two months or I'm afraid we will have to cancel the trip.


I am so sorry your travel plans were screwed by this! Hopefully by then things will have calmed down and you can enjoy your travels as planned!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
30 of 792

I am basically at the epicenter of this disease here in the US. The majority of deaths in the US are coming from an assisted living facility not very far away. The first reported case here in the US was also not very far away. Our school district is closed and my two high school aged kids are now in "remote learning" from home although my wife, who works in the school district, still needs to go in. Sports activities continue because sports is of course more important than school. On the positive side, my kids can get a taste of what the freelancer lifestyle is like now that they are doing "work" away from the traditional building. Had major travel plans for the summer that are now likely not happening. That's a bit of a first world kind of problem though. We freelancers are ahead of the curve when compared with all of the office workers. Business as usual for us! 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS