🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes. 

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,794 REPLIES 1,794

I'm not. Why would think that? These screen shots are from my "Find Work" feed.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

0583717b
Community Member

Hi mam 

I looking for community support about my profile on Upwork

Can you explain what you are looking for? Your profile shows you have put in work to make it professional. It till could be improved. Don't use greetings, names, or skills in the introduction. The first line is all the clients see in a search. Don't waste it. Tell the client why you can do the work better than anyone else. Instead of using lists, form the text into paragraphs.

If you need assistance, post again.

15af447e
Community Member

Dear Jeanee H:

Your comments are very helpfull, can you please review my profile as well.

First, you need a photo of your face, with a neutral background and no sunglasses, hats, AI, flashing GIF, etc.

You need to go back to the top and use the links to profile examples. Currently, you will only find scams, because it is far too long. The first line is all the clients see in a search, so don't waste it. Use the first line to tell the client why you can do the job better than the rest. Remove all the graphics and emojis. It is not professional. Form the text into paragraphs.

In addition, you need to show clients your work. Add samples to your portfolio. Make sure you have permission to use the work, or it is yours.

The more professional your profile, the more clients you will attract and fewer scammers.

66f5254c
Community Member

Perfectly stated, thank you for the post!

3f76c1e2
Community Member

hello I am Vazha and  i am new in freelanicng can you help me?

If you want to freelance, you need to learn how to use the platform. Go back to the top pinned post and read it, and then follow every link.

You can start with a photo.

If you try to freelance now, you will be scammed and never find work. Freelancing means you are responsible for everything - marketable skills, money to run the business, patience, motivation, and again, those marketable skills.

how maam im interested as freelancer

I have responded to you before in another thread. I don't know if you are a bot or a freelancer. Your profile is empty, you have made no effort to read or follow the rules, or do anything you need to do. You need to decide what you want to do, and if you have the skills to do them. With no skills, no profile, and no effort, you are going to fail.

Read the top pinned post, and follow every link. You are in no way prepared to freelance, and will only find scams. Employment may be your best option. Even with someone else paying the bills, and making sure you do the work correctly, you still have to put in effort.

Hello maam,
I've worked in other freelance platform and i've completed 50+ projects so now I have come to upwork i've seen that the project on upwork are great to work for now i'm spending my connects to get projects and almost spend 250+ connects to get my first project but i failed and let me mention that I have send customize proposal to attrack clients. so Do you have any suggestion for me?

Md.Samsul Ehasan

First, I would change the photo background to a neutral color. Then, go back to the top pinned post, read it and follow all the links. The Upwork resources and Red Flags on Scams from Wes are critical to being safe and understanding how to use the platform.

You have the first line to tell the clients why you are the best in the field, and you need the hard skills to back up your claims. Remove the lists and graphics/emojis in the profile. Form the information into paragraphs.

When you start working here, it is like starting over. Most freelancers never find a job. However, most of those freelancers, don't have the marketable skills to freelance. Freelancers often report having to apply to 60–100 jobs before being hired. The variables are many, and include marketable skills. The platform is flooded with unskilled and under-skilled people who apply for the same jobs.

In proposals, the first two lines are all the client sees before making a decision. Use those lines to explain why you are the best choice for the project.

You have good information, and with a few adjustments, it can be great.

56f3c263
Community Member

Thank you for this Jeanne!

I am praying for everyone to land the job they deserve including myself.

Keep learning, keep hustling! 💎

calinekohtan
Community Member

I agree that there has been more help available from the platform to new freelancers than it was when I started 6/7 yrs ago. There were skills verification tests that were removed and now added back in a different format. Putting these aside, please note that times are changing everywhere and for everyone.
In addition to what Jeanne has mentioned, even if you're already skilled and experienced, always remember that there're also competitions. One of the main thing that will help is to be willing to improve your repertoire of skills that can find you jobs. I may be a niche freelancer but I am still learning new things so that I can combine my old skills with new ones to cater for changing times. If you have time while looking for a job, use the time to learn things that might complement your skills. You can always look at posted jobs to see what might be useful. 

8dd8791d
Community Member

Hi Jeanne H

Hope you all are doing well. Muhammad Urfan here. 

I am just adding my Journey on upwork. I have submitted 65 plus proposals on upwork, purchased membership, buyed connects, improved my profile, made reserch on submitting good proposals etc but all efforts remain silent for me. Sometimes i get disppointed and stop submitting proposals.

Patience, consistency, and Hope are 3 words motivating me to use this forum. I believe on improvement, hard work and performance. My purpose of writing here is to get some guidance, suggestions from successful freelancers to enable me to find some work.

wish you all best of luck for your Journey.

Regards

Muhammad Urfan

Account and Finance Professional 

I suggest you go back to the top pinned post, read it, and use all the resource links. Your profile is mostly empty, and you are wasting the top line, which is all clients see in a search. Profiles need to be professional to attract clients and deter scammers. You need to tell the client in the first sentence why you are better than everyone else - if you can back up your claims.

Until you complete your profile and learn the rules, do not apply for or even look at jobs. You are not prepared to freelance and scammers will target you. Your incomplete profile is another reason no one is looking at your proposals. Chances are, you can improve those, too.

There are 20 millions freelancers on Upwork, but we don't know how many are active. We do know, every category is flooded, and some are turning into a new ocean. The competition is fierce, and you need to be at the top of your game. Anything you can do to stand out in your field is an advantage that you will need.

9ec510a0
Community Member

"I'm passionate about social media marketing and blogging, and I believe freelancing provides the perfect platform for me to leverage my expertise. I enjoy the flexibility it offers, allowing me to take on diverse projects and collaborate with clients from different industries. My goal is to [mention a specific goal or outcome you aim to achieve], and I believe freelancing not only aligns with my career aspirations but also allows me to continuously learn and grow in a dynamic environment. I've already started building my portfolio, and I'm excited about the prospect of contributing my skills to various projects and making a meaningful impact for clients. I understand the challenges that come with freelancing, and I'm committed to delivering high-quality work, managing my time effectively, and building long-lasting relationships with clients."

I'm not sure what this is, but it's not the way you find work on Upwork. If this is intended as advice, it is poor.

You need to go back to the top pinned post, read it and follow every link. Your current profile will only get you scammed. You are wasting the first line of your profile, because you have top tell the client why you are better than the rest, and back it up with proven, marketable skills.

You need to decide what you want to do on the platform, You have multiple skills listed, but no sample, portfolio or anything to back up your claims. It's up to you if you are successful or scammed.

lightofearth
Community Member

Hi,

If I want to promote my project, how do I do it? I already boosted my project but no feedback.

Regards,
Kamrul Hasan Noor

Just because you boost something, doesn't mean there are any guarantees that you will have positive results. I would focus on improving your profile (too many lists, graphics/emojis) and use the Academy to make a few changes.

Projects seem to fall into two categories - people who love them and people who hate them. I don't know if there are any Upwork stats on project success.

c7e366f0
Community Member

Hello, this is Robian. I am a new freelancer here and this is my first time working with a client. I have accepted the contract stating that I must complete 12 tasks. I am wondering where I can find the tasks assigned to me. Is there a link that I need to follow to access them? I appreciate any help you can provide.

The contract should state the job and all details. Do not accept until it says everything you want it to say. This goes for clients as well. It is the only document that shows what the agreement is between client and freelancer. It should contain information on revisions, changes, alterations, time to complete the job, exact description, and all details.

You should never accept a job when you don't know what the job is. How do you know you can do it? I understand wanting to get your first job, but this is not the way to do it. You have to start at the beginning, before you lose everything. Go back to the top pinned post, read it, and follow every link. If you continue, you will only be scammed.

Don't do any work. Contact the client and tell them you need to see the tasks. For all you know, you could be obligated to work for the next ten years. If you do not hear from the client, or if the tasks are outrageous, you may need to close the contract.

The Upwork resources will help you develop a professional profile, which is one of the best ways to deter scammers and attracts clients.

The contract should state the job and all details. Do not accept until it says everything you want it to say. This goes for clients as well. It is the only document that shows what the agreement is between client and freelancer. It should contain information on revisions, changes, alterations, time to complete the job, exact description, and all details.

You should never accept a job when you don't know what the job is. How do you know you can do it? I understand wanting to get your first job, but this is not the way to do it. You have to start at the beginning, before you lose everything. Go back to the top pinned post, read it, and follow every link. If you continue, you will only be scammed.

Don't do any work. Contact the client and tell them you need to see the tasks. For all you know, you could be obligated to work for the next ten years. If you do not hear from the client, or if the tasks are outrageous, you may need to close the contract.

7515a8b5
Community Member

Dear Jeanee  :

Your comments are very helpfull, can you please review my profile as well.

Regards

I understand you want to be honest with the client, but clients don't want to hear that you are new and learning. Don't mention being new, especially in the first line. The first sentence is all the client sees in a search. Try searching for a freelancer and you will see what I mean.Make sure the skills you use in the title are in the search engines.

Use the first line to tell the client why you are the best choice, and can do the job better than anyone. Make sure you can back up your claims. If you feel you want to express that you are new, you could say something like, "What I lack in years of experience, I make up for with dedication to the project."

Offering money back if the client isn't happy, is generous of you, but it will lead to trouble. Upwork is like a random chat room because you don't know anyone, their real name, or their intent. Scam clients will abuse your offer, and you will lose money. Remove the offer completely, and do not extend it to anyone.

When you rewrite the introduction, put it into paragraphs, and don't use graphics or emojis, unless it directly pertains to the job. The list you have might be OK, if you have text around it. Build the profile around the skills. Either use a spell check program, or have a native English speaker who is also a proofreader or editor to go over your profile. Currently, you have errors. Also, I would suggest finding a more neutral background for your photo.

Thank you very much, you have provided me with information that I have never seen before.

What color do you suggest for my background?

I also apply for many jobs and lose points, but the client does not accept my offer. What do you advise me?

Neutrals that work well are in the brown, white, and gray colors. The problem with a colorful background is that it detracts from the photo and does not look professional. A light, neutral color prevents it from looking sterile and boring, without overwhelming the photo. Don't use dark colors, a hat, sunglasses, AI, animated gif, or similar enhancement.

One of the reasons you haven't been hired is your profile. You need to rewrite it before you apply for jobs. In proposals, the clients see the first two lines, so don't waste them with greetings or skills. Use those lines to tell the client why you can do their project better than anyone else.

It takes time and a lot of proposals for most freelancers to find a job. It can take 65–100 for some freelancers. The figure will be different depending on skills and the field.

Proposals need to explain how you will accomplish the job. While some will say keep the proposal to a specific amount of words, what matters is letting the client know how you can do the job. Not that you are actually doing the job, or explaining every detail, but enough information so the client knows you have the requirements to complete the job successfully.

After you make the changes, be selective when applying for jobs so as not to waste connects. Don't apply unless you hold all the major requirements and most of the smaller ones. In most cases, if you don't h ave every qualification, you will never be hired. The graphic design category has a tremendous amount of competition, so you need to find a way to specialize and stand out in the crowd.

Thank you
I have changed the image now.
Please take a look, if there is any comment you have to tell me.

If you don't have a message from me, be patient, and I will respond. There is no need to post more than once. I understand, you are eager to begin your Upwork journey.

The photo is fine. Your profile is much improved. I would use a spell and grammar check. In your field, it's not essential to have excellent grammar, but it looks better in your profile.

Continue to use the resource and update links in the top pinned post to stay current on changes. Now you can focus on creating great proposals. Use the resource links  for additional help.

7515a8b5
Community Member

I have edited my profile, please take a look.

7515a8b5
Community Member

Thank you
I have changed the image now.
Please take a look, if there is any comment you have to tell me

im looking for help

Go back to the top pinned post, read it, and follow every single link.

##- what problem do you have
-##

The OP posts in multiple categories.

4557ea00
Community Member

I am a freelancer looking for work can you refer me to some clients?

This is not how you freelance. Your profile is completely empty. I don't know if you are a bot or a freelancer, and neither will a client. If you want to freelance, go back to the top pinned post, read it, and follow every link. You have to start at the beginning and are not prepared to even look at jobs.

909c5b9e
Community Member

hi

asi khan
e16f5fc8
Community Member

Hello  Jeanne, 

So I am new to this platform and I would like to know which is better as I start:

1. Should I bring my client via the any-hire program?

2. OR just let them post a job and I bid and get it just normally?

Also, i would very much appreciate your opinion on my profile please.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members