🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » macOS screenshots not working right with Upwo...
Page options
andrewbenson90
Community Member

macOS screenshots not working right with Upwork app after recent update, macOS Mojave and Catalina

Since the last Upwork app update, maybe a week or so ago, the Upwork app is only capturing blank blue screens, or a blank blue macOS desktop, menu bar, and the upwork app window itself -- but nothing else.

The Upwork app prompted me to enable it for "Screen Recording" in system settings, which I did, but it still doesn't work.  

Obviously the clients dislike this.

I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled Upwork, and tried on both my Catalina MBP and my Mojave iMac and the result is the same.

Anyone else seeing this?

Any ideas for how to fix?

Thanks!

Andrew

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Brylle and others,

I'd like to follow up here to clarify the issues that you and others have reported on this thread as well as fixes and workarounds we've been able to provide.

•  The issue with screenshots has been fixed on the most recent version of Upwork Desktop App. It can be downloaded via this link.
  • Some of you may still run into issues with being unable to uncheck the security option for screen capture. That is due to a known issue with Catalina OS that affects multiple apps not just Upwork Desktop App. The solution is to run `tccutil reset All` in Terminal app to force reset all permissions so that they are properly requested again.

Please, refer to Vladimir's post from earlier for more detailed instructions and screenshots:

Vladimir G. wrote:

1. Close the Desktop App

2. Run tccutil reset All com.upwork.Upwork in terminal to reset any granted permissions.

2.1. If "Upwork" STILL is present in the Screen Recording section of Settings & Privacy, then please use tccutil reset All

3. Install the Upwork Desktop app version from this link.

4. Test functionality by taking a screenshot with the App (unless customized should be prompted by Ctrl+Alt+S or Ctrl+Alt+A, check the Keyboard Shortcuts in Settings to confirm this option is turned on) and authorize Upwork App when seeing this pop-up.

This is how the pop-up and your Security settings should look like after following the steps above:

1. Select "Open System Preferences".

UDA1.png

2. Tick the box next to "Upwork".

UDA2.png

3. Select "Quit Now"

UDA3.png

4. Confirm "Upwork" is on the list as shown below.

UDA4.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

271 REPLIES 271

Latest IOS version
MacOS Catalina 10.15.6

Hi Jelle,

Could you try the steps shared by Valeria here? If you`re still experiencing the same problems after this, let me know here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello,

I have tried the solution from Valeria and nothing happened. Please I need support to get this solved urgently. Also the initial thread is almost from one year ago, what is missing to solve the problem systematically?

Regards,

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Diego,

Could you please confirm the OS version you're experiencing this issue with? 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi,

It's macOS Catalina Version 10.15.4.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for following up, Diego. 

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with this issue. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello! I am also having the same problem. I kept on reinstalling the app and checking my system preference but it's still not working. Please help me with this one. I hope someone from the support team reaches out to me as well. 

Thank you!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi  Christian Jan,

Could you please report this issue by following the ''How do I report a problem?'' section of this troubleshooting guide? That will include the log file needed by our team to effectively assist you.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, I’d like to get a help ticket on this issue as well. I’ve tried every workaround listed in this thread. Upwork isn’t even listed as an option under my privacy settings.

This is the best fix so far provided by one of Upwork's customer service
representatives. Everytime Mac has an OS update my upwork tracker crashes
and I just follow these steps.

Please follow the 3 steps below and see the screenshots so you can get an
idea on how to do them:

1. Open Activity Monitor and check if the Upwork process is present
End the process
screenshot: https://url.upwork.com/_01bIliyVAeMS-RsNv3P_ie6BVSRBnNlM1f
2. Go to ~/Library/Application Support and move Upwork folder to the Bin
screenshot: https://url.upwork.com/_01bIliyVAeMS-mN7Zdvd0iNbc-WCRaXLsJ
3. Open Application and launch Upwork app
screenshot: https://url.upwork.com/_01bIliyVAeMS-2eXjyarLm-D3BTE1N5UAU
shekay
Community Member

after this screen recording still not an option.

I just got a new MAC book pro...No matter what I have done Upwork still not an option under screen recording. Please help.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 8.51.23 PM.png

Hi Shekay, 

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
shedy3
Community Member

Hello, I installed the latest version of upwork app, but screenshot doesn't work (it takes a shot of the upwork app on my wallpaper, so I have many identical screenshots). I've read other threads, tried some instructions, but it seems its a new bug for a new macOS version. Also, no matter what I have done Upwork still not an option under screen recording in security and privacy section. Please help.

Hi Viktor,

You mentioned using the instructions found here in the Community. Could you please confirm if you tried using the steps Valeria shared in this post? If the problem persists after trying those steps, please let us know so that we can assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hello 🙂
Yes, I tried exactly this instruction.
Unfortunately I cannot go further than step 3 (Install the Upwork Desktop app version from this link)
I tried to run old version of upwork application (from the Valeria post link) and it didn't start (I seen only the icon in dock bar, but the app didn't started)

Hi Viktor,

In that case, one of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hvae you checked Accessability category?

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 10.40.25 PM.png

ipaulmax
Community Member

It works

julie_marcus
Community Member

I've tried to search for this with no luck.  I am trying to clock my hours for a project and the upwork app is only taking a screen shot of my background on my desktop, not the apps I'm working in.  I'm using a macbook and an extra monitor which is mirroring my laptop.  Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix?  Thanks!

Hi Julie,

Could you please try using the steps Valeria shared in this post? If the problem persists after trying those steps, please let us know so that we can assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran, I've tried the steps from Valeria's post, but it doesn't work, because it's not login me in through this version. The only working version is 5.5.0.0, but this version is only taking screenshots of the background because there is no Upwork app option in the Security&Privacy / Screen Recording. So can you please release the new version of Mac desktop app with the Upwork option added to the Screen Recording section?

Hi Evgen,

I shared your issue with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Could you please give me also a support ticket? I have the same problem and cannot log in in the version Valeria sent. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Elina

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like you've already created a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow time for our team to respond to it and assist you accordingly. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
2fab749c
Community Member

Unfortunately having the same issue and can't see the Upwork icon in my camera settings either, despite a reinstall. Can support please advise? Thanks, J

Hi Jasmin,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
seysil17
Community Member

Hello,

got the same issue, tried the steps provided still not working. Please have someone help me to fix this. Thank you

Hi Maria Cecilia,

One of our agents will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
83db7008
Community Member

Got Macbook air on m1, same issue. Takes screenshot of the empty desktop. access is given to the app though

Hi Maria,

Just to confirm, did you try the troubleshooting steps in this post? If not, please follow the instructions and if you're still experiencing the same problem after this, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
marcblidon
Community Member

Check this here from Victor S

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/macOS-screenshots-not-working-right-with-Upwork-app-afte...

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-23 um 18.41.40.png

It should solve this problem.

At least it did for me. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths