🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » macOS screenshots not working right with Upwo...
Page options
andrewbenson90
Community Member

macOS screenshots not working right with Upwork app after recent update, macOS Mojave and Catalina

Since the last Upwork app update, maybe a week or so ago, the Upwork app is only capturing blank blue screens, or a blank blue macOS desktop, menu bar, and the upwork app window itself -- but nothing else.

The Upwork app prompted me to enable it for "Screen Recording" in system settings, which I did, but it still doesn't work.  

Obviously the clients dislike this.

I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled Upwork, and tried on both my Catalina MBP and my Mojave iMac and the result is the same.

Anyone else seeing this?

Any ideas for how to fix?

Thanks!

Andrew

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Brylle and others,

I'd like to follow up here to clarify the issues that you and others have reported on this thread as well as fixes and workarounds we've been able to provide.

•  The issue with screenshots has been fixed on the most recent version of Upwork Desktop App. It can be downloaded via this link.
  • Some of you may still run into issues with being unable to uncheck the security option for screen capture. That is due to a known issue with Catalina OS that affects multiple apps not just Upwork Desktop App. The solution is to run `tccutil reset All` in Terminal app to force reset all permissions so that they are properly requested again.

Please, refer to Vladimir's post from earlier for more detailed instructions and screenshots:

Vladimir G. wrote:

1. Close the Desktop App

2. Run tccutil reset All com.upwork.Upwork in terminal to reset any granted permissions.

2.1. If "Upwork" STILL is present in the Screen Recording section of Settings & Privacy, then please use tccutil reset All

3. Install the Upwork Desktop app version from this link.

4. Test functionality by taking a screenshot with the App (unless customized should be prompted by Ctrl+Alt+S or Ctrl+Alt+A, check the Keyboard Shortcuts in Settings to confirm this option is turned on) and authorize Upwork App when seeing this pop-up.

This is how the pop-up and your Security settings should look like after following the steps above:

1. Select "Open System Preferences".

UDA1.png

2. Tick the box next to "Upwork".

UDA2.png

3. Select "Quit Now"

UDA3.png

4. Confirm "Upwork" is on the list as shown below.

UDA4.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

271 REPLIES 271
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Julia,

Could you please share more details with us about the issue you're experiencing so that we can assist you accordingly or have the correct support team assist you?

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
evatorium
Community Member

Sure! The app captures only the empty desktop, although it has the permission to capture the screen. I'm attaching the screenshots for more details. App version is Version 5.3.3.800
(FE1937, dash-7c2c5d6), OS version is macOS Catalina 10.15 (19A603).

Screenshot 2019-11-01 at 17.32.00.pngScreenshot 2019-11-01 at 17.32.33.pngScreenshot 2019-11-01 at 17.32.51.png23129929_1572614323_w.jpg

When is UpWork going to come up with a solution that works?

I have tried all of the changeds in this post and it does not work. 

Hi Julia, and James,

Could you please check the steps that Vladimir and Valeria shared in this post and let me know if the issue still persists?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar! It didn't work until I restarted the laptop, now looks good, thanks!

hello, im just starting out with using the app and i'm facing the same issue. 

i did exactly as is written in the screenshot but im still having the same issue, and when i restarted the computer the app also didn't load and crashed and i was forced to close it.

let me know please how i can resolve this issue, thanks!

Hi Alexis,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and assist you further with your desktop app. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello, 

I need help with this issue as well. All it does is take screenshots of my desktop screensaver.

Thanks,

Alina

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alina,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

I am also having this issue. I followed the steps as above and the Terminal actions did reset the privacy settings but now when I go back to allow UpWork to screen record my laptop will not let me check the UpWork box. I will click the box and then click the check box and nothing will happen.

Can I re-download the old app?

Hi Madison,

Could you please try the troubleshooting steps shared on this help article, and please let us know if it is still not working for you. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
adgcarr
Community Member

I am having this issue as well. It was working fine previously. This morning my contract was suspended I wanted to review my work diary (to determine any issues) and I see several blank screens while others are okay.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Alicia,

I can see that only the last screenshot is blank and all of the others are captured while you`re working. Are there more than that you`re referring to? If yes, please send me more details via PM (click on my name).

I would also like to point out that it is possible for your last screenshot to be blank if it was taken in the exact moment when were you`re opening a new page. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you Goran, there are a couple of the blank screens, but your response makes sense. In reviewing it looks like some of what I thought were blank screens were actually times when I stopped the clock.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Alicia,

If something is still confusing, feel free to reach out to me at any time. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Every time the app forced the update it stops working. Why don't you give us the option not to update since this is very glitchy with Catalina?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Madelaine,

I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience this is causing. Unfortunately, turning off the auto-update is not available. Could you please share more information with us about issues you're experiencing with the app so that we can assist you accordingly?

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Facing the same issue after updating MAC OS to Cataline.

I have a chat with Upwork customer support and followed the guidelines to tick Upwork in Screen Recording settings. I have followed all instructions carefully including downloading the latest version, doing some terminal commands, installing the app again, Restarting system but the whole day passed, NOTHING works out.

Still, the screenshot is going as a blank screen with an Upwork app in it.

Hi Prateek,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. I checked your ticket and I can confirm that it was escalated to our engineering team. One of our team members will update your ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello! Same is happening to me. macOS Catalina

Captura de Pantalla 2020-03-12 a la(s) 10.49.23 a. m..png

Hi Carolina,

Could you please check the steps that Vladimir and Valeria shared in this post and let me know if the issue still persists? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

i am having same issue on MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)

screenshots not taking of the current work space..rather its taking blank screenshot of empty desktop everytime.

Hi Kuldeep,

Could you please follow the instructions in my previous post here:

• Please check the steps that shared in this post. If you`re still experiencing the same problem after this let me know here. 

Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I have the same issue.  Is there any update?

Hi Debra,

Could you please try the steps shared by Valeria here? If the issue persists, please let us know so we can check further. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

does it fixed for you or still facing the same issue ?

I have tried all solutions available in the Web portal.

1. Updated MAC OS 10.15.4 - Still same issue

2. Downloaded latest version older version, beta version - Still same issue

3. executed below commands before that uninstalled the Application (deleted from the application and removed from Bin)

tccutil reset All

mv ~/Library/Application Support/Upwork{,.bak}

as soon as permission is given, Screen Recording Permission is ticked ON ... but still, it's not taking or getting any screenshot.

I have tried all solutions available in the Web portal.

1. Updated MAC OS 10.15.4 - Still same issue

2. Downloaded latest version older version, beta version - Still same issue

3. executed below commands before that uninstalled the Application (deleted from the application and removed from Bin)

tccutil reset All

mv ~/Library/Application Support/Upwork{,.bak}

as soon as permission is given, Screen Recording Permission is ticked ON ... but still, it's not taking or getting any screenshot.

Hi 

I also have the same issue. Please assist me 😞 I tried the privacy settings but upwork icon is not showing up.

Hi Janette Roanne.

Could you please share the version of the OS you're experiencing this with? 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi! I wrote this a month ago...it's a fix that worked for me. Not sure if I put it in the correct spot, if not can a moderator or Upwork support place it where people can see it....? It's worth a try...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/MacOs-Catalina-Fix-for-Desktop-App-to-work-properly-with...

dessydimitrova
Community Member

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I updated my MacOs to Catalina and I started to have issues with recording my screen with the desktop app. As shown on the screenshots it records the desktop only without any activity there. 

I followed the steps from the help center by using the Terminal app in order to give back permission to Upwork and going to Settings after that looks like shown on the screenshot - I don't see Upwork as an option in the Screen Recording menu even after following the steps

I tried to restart my laptop as well as the Upwork app and nothing seems to work.

Can you give me suggestions on what to do?

Thank you

Hi Desislava,

Could you please check the steps that Valeria shared in this post and let me know if the issue still persists? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
casuke
Community Member

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have been unable to log into the desktop app with my credentials, which work on the Upwork website. I am being shown the error message "An unknown error has occurred." (see attached screenshot).To troubleshoot, I have tried the following things:

- deleted the old version of the programme and downloaded and installed it anew from Upwork website

updated my password

- tried logging in both with my user name and my email

- made sure to be logged into the website as well

Unfortunately, none of these worked.

The operating system I am running is Mac OSCatalina (on a MacBook Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015). My browser is Chrome 80.0.3987.163

Thank you and kind regards,

Caroline

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Caroline,

Could you please refer to the instructions I`ve shared here previously:

• Please check the steps that Valeria shared in this post and let me know if the issue still persists? Thank you.

Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
alisa95
Community Member

Hi! I am using Upwork desktop app for Mac. There is no Upwork icon in Security and privacy-Camera or Screen Recording sections. That's why I can't give permission for my screen recording.

Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Alisa,

Could you please clarify if you`re experiencing the problem discussed on this Thread? If yes, Please check the steps that Valeria shared in this post and let me know if the issue still persists. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran.

Thank you for your email.

I thing I am encountering the same issue.

i took all the steps described in the link, but, alas, it didn't help. Still Upwork icon doesn't appear in Security and Privacy section.

Regards,

Alisa

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for the confirmation, Alisa,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with the desktop app. 

~ Goran
Upwork

I, too, am having the same problems as Alisa (There is no Upwork icon in Security and privacy-Camera or Screen Recording sections), and I can confirm that the proposed fixes here (https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037843634) and here (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/macOS-screenshots-not-working-right-with-Upwork-app-afte...) do not work. Restarting my machine, and reinstalling the upwork app doesn't change the result (I tried with the beta upwork app as well).

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members