🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » German VAT/Steuernummer
Page options
e18873c6
Community Member

German VAT/Steuernummer

Hello, I'm new to Upwork and trying to figure out how to fill my tax details in my profile. I have a Steuernummer in Germany and I'm exempt to collect 19% VAT, but I don't think I have a 9 digit TAX ID....How should I indicate that in my tax details on Upwork? I can't figure it out. Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Patrick,

Freelancers and agencies with VAT numbers can add them by going to Settings    Tax Information. The tax ID that you submit must be in the format provided by VIES, or Upwork won't be able to validate it. To learn more about VAT, check out this help article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello, Thank you for your quick reply... I'm trying to add my TAX ID
/Steuernummer (which isn't in a 9 digit format) but it's not recognized by
Upwork... That's the only number I got.... So I don't know what I should do
next....? Thank you

Hi Patrick,

You can verify the validity of a VAT number by entering it into the VIES database. Let us know if it verifies in the database but not on Upwork. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Patrick c wrote:

Hello, I'm new to Upwork and trying to figure out how to fill my tax details in my profile. I have a Steuernummer in Germany and I'm exempt to collect 19% VAT, but I don't think I have a 9 digit TAX ID....How should I indicate that in my tax details on Upwork? I can't figure it out. Thank you

Steuernummer and Umsatzsteuernummer are 2 different things. You need to apply for a UID to not pay VAT of the upwork fee and connects purchases. Upwork does not care about your income tax (but you should), only about your VAT which they have to collect. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths