🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Fixed price projects scamming
Page options
expuser
Community Member

Job warning signs

When reading a job description, what causes you to go "Ut-oh!"? What red flags do you see in applications that at least puts you on your guard, if not actually skip to the next one? Here's some of mine (and others):

First and foremost The work is yours until you are paid in full. You own the copyright until you have been paid the agreed sum. If you choose to work for 15 cents per hour then that's your problem. If it takes longer than you thought..again, down to you. BUT. If you have done your bit according to the contract that you agreed, then the work is yours until it's paid for.

Asking for payment or to use your own accounts (Thanks Dave!) Money comes from the client to you; anything else and you're doing it wrong. Do not ever (unless you know the client really well, and give it second thoughts even then) pay for something for the client unless you have received the money from them first. Deposit for something; webhosting accounts; domain name; subscription for site X that is "essential for the job" etc etc. No money. Ever. Similarly, do not use your own eBay, Craigslist etc. accounts to list things for sale...chances are high that it will end badly and wreck any good karma you have built up there. And it'll be you in the frame if it turns out that it was illegal.

"Bait and Switch" (Thanks Selcalmel!) Clients advertise one job and then offer a different job at interview. Now there can be valid reasons for this; but a big difference between the job description and the work you're being offered should be viewed with extreme suspicion. Mostly on oDesk it's either jobs that you wouldn't have applied for if the job was described honestly or changing the rules to try and get the price down.

Too many people being interviewed This can be a sign that the buyer is dividing the job up and giving the various parts as a 'test' to applicants...with the intention of getting the job for free. It could just be that the buyer is looking for a very specific set of skills, or other innocent motive, but maybe not.

NOTE: (Thanks Brandon!) This also applies to the client's history...check the total number of jobs posted versus people hired. If there are a load of jobs posted but few contracts awarded, then proceed with caution.

Only low bidders being interviewed If you're not one of the low bidders on that job then it's probably not worth applying.

Long list of demands, silly budget We've all seen them; the jobs for an all-singing, all-dancing website for $100, followed by either a HUGE feature list and/or a long list of qualities required by the contractor. Luckily for you, the buyer is advertising the fact that they are a wanker (behaviour which is unlikely to change if you were unfortunate enough to land the contract). This buyer knows the market well enough to know exactly what they want; and must therefore know that the budget is exploitative...move on. And as a corollary to the above (Thanks Louis!):

People who bellow orders, often in capitals "SUCH SUCH WILL NOT BE READ I IF [insert term].... OTHERWISE I WILL DELETE YOUR APPLICATION IMMEDIATELY". Or "MUST ATTACH SUCH AND SUCH OTHERWISE YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME". Some people -presumably after watching Alan Sugar or that twat Trump- think that this is how bosses should behave. I see it mostly as a sign of either someone being new to being in a position to call the shots and is a bit insecure about it, or someone who is a natural git. In either case your job will be more difficult because of it. Also, these types of application are frequently paired with a ridiculous budget. Any buyers who are reading this should note that this isn't the way to go about things...also all capitals make it harder to read and you're increasing the chances of applicants missing an important detail. Annoying people before they've even applied for your job cannot possibly help. Am I the only one, by the way, who feels the impulse to reply in kind?: "Listen up bitch. I reckon I can do it in 10 hours which'll cost you $450 and if that isn't good enough then you can just **Edited for Community Guidelines** would be a fairly short application, probably.

Mention of half-finished job/previous contractor/s There are two factors here...sorting out what someone else has done often takes longer than just doing whatever it is from scratch. You will very probably be inheriting a hairy-arsed nightmare. The other factor -and a question you should be asking yourself (and the buyer, come to that)- is exactly why the previous contractor didn't finish. It does happen that buyers get a run of bad luck with contractors (often after playing in the lower budget ranges), so it isn't necessarily the buyer's fault. On the other hand, it could be. Rescuing a client from a wall-to-wall catastrophe at the 11th hour is one of the best smug feelings you can get as a freelancer; but these jobs are high-risk...you need to ascertain for yourself that the buyer is genuine before getting in too deep. A note to any buyers reading this: If you've already been through two or more contractors and you still don't have a result, you need to seriously consider throwing a match in and starting with fresh code. I've had jobs where it took significantly longer to find out what the hell the previous guys had done than it would have taken to just bin everything and do the job. And with other people's code, you can never be 100% sure that you haven't missed something important/broken/nasty.

One-line descriptions Buyers quite often don't know the information that a contractor needs in order to produce a final product the client will be happy with; that's not a problem and it's the contractor's job to ask the right questions. But when you see a job like "I need a website. Plz replie", just move on. If they can't be bothered, then neither can I.

Payment method not verified Sign either of a first-time user or a scammer. If the unverified user is overly familiar with the way oDesk works...warning! If it's a first time user, you may well have to do some unofficial oDesk support and talk them through it. And you might still get scammed at the end.

Anything where you have to create a user account on another site (that isn't the site you're working on) before you start. No. Just no.

Business plan with failure built in As a webdesigner, I hear 10 plans for world domination before breakfast. Some job descriptions have fail built into the very fabric of the scheme. The worst ones are the ones where you have to mess around with NDAs and soothe the buyer that you're not going to be over the horizon with his masterplan (which often as not turns out to be another bloody facebook or youtube clone). *sigh*

Jobs where 'clients' are mentioned I don't really like sub-sub contracting. Firstly there's there's the thought of the buyer sitting on his arse collecting cash for my work; which rankles a bit. Secondly -and more important- is the 'Chinese Whisper Effect'; where the original client's specs is filtered through the middleman's idea of what the end-client wants. These specs may well not be accurate. You *will* be doing extra work because of this. The same applies to large companies where an underling has been given the task and is now offloading it onto you; but in this case the specs are more often written down. The worse case in this latter scenario can be where it's a committee and everyone present has to get a design change in there -no matter how pointless- just to get their name in the minutes of the meeting.

"It will only take 5 minutes" No it won't. No job in the history of contracting has ever taken only 5 minutes. It takes longer than that to liase with the potential client, for a start.

Jobs that aren't worth it ((Your hourly rate) * (Number of hours you think it will take)) + (Say 10% safety margin for extra missions/unexplained bits) = (Your price for the job). If there's not enough money or not enough time, then it's usually best to move on.

Anything that mentions CAPTCHA or removing watermarks It's naughty. Don't.

Web scraping Nah. Probably illegal (copyright) and definitely immoral. You're stealing someone else's work. Worse...you're automating stealing someone else's work.

Jobs where it looks like a reasonable budget for the job until you read the description and it turns out that the budget is a monthly wage for full-time work of the same type This is annoying and wastes time.

Non-profit organisation (Thanks Mahesh!) A non-profit organisation is not the same thing as a charity. Some are, of course, but some are tax dodges, some are for groups of people, with the aim of the organisation being something you don't necessarily approve of..."Mothers in support of the ruthless oppression of Brits in Spain"; "White supremacy"; "Black supremacy"; whatever. Or -as Mahesh points out- it could just be weasel-wording for the fact that they haven't made any money.

Buyers asking for free work samples/tests (Thanks Anna!) It is the buyer's right to ask, just as it is your right to refuse. It's also discouraged by oDesk. All the veteran contractors (including me) will advise against free samples and in any case that's what your portfolio is for...to show previous examples of work and the standard that you're capable of. For contractors it just is not worth it...if there's 30 applicants to the job, you're spending time doing work for a 1 in 30 chance of getting a job. You can spend your entire life doing this and not make a penny. Now that I've said all that, a free sample is what landed me my first job on oDesk...someone wanted a graphic vector conversion and -having some free time- I just did it and sent an (unusable) sample graphic in. The buyer didn't demand a sample (I would not have applied if that were the case), but I proved I could do the job by doing it. Traditionally in design work, it used to be the case that the designer offered several alternate designs; but those were for *much* larger-budget jobs. It isn't worth even considering for the sort of jobs that are at oDesk. If you do choose to give free samples, always watermark them (Thanks Ernesto!). In the case of writing samples, send them as a graphic or locked PDF so that the text can't be used without paying you.

Free work samples - Part II If the buyer is asking for free samples and if it's the sort of job that can be broken up into smaller tasks then pay extra attention; and also look closely at the number of people being interviewed.

"Great opportunity for newbies" (Thanks Judith!) This means that a buyer is offering a risably small budget for work in exchange for giving you feedback. This is either feedback blackmail or investing time in order to get in the game, depending upon your point of view. You are definitely being taken advantage of; but really it's your decision...as long as you go into it with your eyes open and as long as it's all agreed at the start. Buyers trying to use feedback to change the terms after the job has started, however, should be reported.

Vague specifications (Thanks Louis!) It's harder to work with vague specifications, mostly, but you see quite a lot of jobs with insufficient detail. If you're extremely lucky, it's a buyer who wants this Thing to perform this Function; is busy; has correctly assessed your level of competence; and trusts you to get 'er done. This is rare. It is, however, also difficult to write job descriptions with exactly the right amount of detail. Insufficient detail could be due to laziness; unfamiliarity with the oDesk system; lack of knowledge (which is after all why the buyer is getting a professional in)...lots of reasons. The best way of approaching this -I believe- is to use the application letter and interview to clear up any ambiguities and to focus in on the specs so that you and the client both agree on what the job actually is and where the boundaries are. If you start the job and only have a vague idea of what the client wants, you are going to have problems. Possibly big problems if the job description also states...

Unlimited redo A job description containing these words should be approached with caution. Particularly with website work, as you're essentially agreeing to maintain it forever as part of the deal. Add a bit of mission creep to a contract like this and you're in a world of hurt. I always specify 'reasonable amount of re-do' in the cover letter. It's a contract and you should never agree to something that can suck up an infinite amount of your time for free. I understand that buyers want their work the way they want it and the 'unlimited' is mostly just a way of ensuring that their needs will be met. You, the contractor, also needs to ensure that you're covered, so best to renegotiate this phrase.

"Send us ID" This is not needed to work at oDesk. Don't do it or you will be very sorry. Verify who you are through oDesk, if you must, but ***NEVER*** send ID; bank account details, PayPal, eBay or any other information that can be used by ID-theft types.

Write to me outside of odesk This isn't necessarily a problem...everyone has their preferred methods of communication. At the first hint of paying outside of oDesk you should run away quickly: It's against oDesk rules; will get your account terminated if you're caught; and you will probably get stiffed by the buyer anyway.

Phishing (Thanks Santos!) The way this works is that someone sends you a link (usually an obscured one like "http://bit.ly/whatever"). This takes you to a page that *looks like* a login page to a common internet service (Gmail, Paypal, Amazon, whatever), but isn't. What the page is, is a copy of that login screen and the idea is that you type your password in and it gets captured by naughty people. It's then standard practice to use that email/username/password on lots of other common services to see if they work. If you 1) fall for it and 2) use the same password everywhere, you're stuffed. Don't trust an obscured link; and ALWAYS check the URL on a login screen, just to make sure you're in the place you think you are. Personally, I go a little further than that and keep a link with my (encrypted) password file and I only use my local link to visit web services.

Good luck out there!

981 REPLIES 981
rahman_matiur
Community Member

Your task is obviously remarkable, I am agree with your tips.
evilsquirrel01
Community Member

Thank you for this
francine10
Community Member

Thanks for this! I thought I was the only one. Over time, I have developed a pretty good BS meter. Reading this post, however, bolstered my confidence. When people as for a price to proofread, I would think they'd know how long it would take anybody to read 10K words. How could it possibly take less time to read it and make notations even on good copy? :puzzled:
Diligence is the mother of good luck...Benj. Franklin
hughesluis
Community Member

Great tips,some of which I learned from other sites recently. Im new here and still trying to figure everything out.
hughesluis
Community Member

How do I go about building my portfolio if my past designs have been deleted because of a hard drive failure? Its hard for me to get clients even at low prices just to build up my portfolio. Should I just create whatever I feel like,than add those to my portfolio even if the designs aren't of actual clients?

Yep. It is still your work.
cassie_blake
Community Member

A couple of days ago, I received an invite to join the team of a certain company as a financial analyst. The reply letter sent to me was so tempting, however, it says there that the company needs to fly me to USA where I will work. They allegedly will handle my travel expenses etc. However, I need to secure the working permit myself. It sends me red flag so I started Googling on the company and I can't find a single article about them. I also researched on the person who wrote the reply, still nothing. Nevertheless, I was gracious enough and I seemly showed interest. Now, this is where I confirmed that this is just a scam. The company required me to seek the help of their authorized travel agency to assist me in my visa requirement. Just to give them the pleasure, I sent an email to the said travel agency pretending that I don't know how to go about visa processing. Lo and behold! The travel agency replied and apparently will require me $350 as processing fee to be sent to a Western Union account under the name of a particular person and not even the travel agency. I also can't find anything on the travel agency in the Google. I noticed that there are a lot of job applicants for this post, I hope they will not get scammed.

Flag and report to customer support so that they can take care of this.

Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
businessandworks
Community Member

I've also encountered a different scenario lately where the client invited me for a quick interview for an Admin Assistant task that pays $5.00/hr. During the interview process the client then offered me a different position, 'Cam Girl' position that pays $13/hr, just having me post my half naked body to his clients. I immediately reported him to Odesk. So beware.
aratertaranada
Community Member

Thanks so much, Darren, for this post; it should be a must-read for all contractors. I have been a victim a few times before I caught on, and have since reported several clients to oDesk. If more contractors reported these practices then these unscrupulous clients could be shut down.
mountteresa
Community Member

Being new to oDesk, these are tips I would have never known about and I thank you. I would also like to add that contractors should look out for people that want someone to take a test or exam for them because in most cases this is illegal. Also be on the look out for those that are seeking someone to retrieve medical record information because this to is illegal unless you are the patient or the legal representative of the patient. Thanks again.
marcyscreed
Community Member

Most of what you've written here are the same guidelines I personally follow. With you listing all of them here will definitely guide other freelancers who are still lost. I hope they all get to read what you wrote. Thanks!

If many follow these guidelines as mentioned here... why are some making money while others cannot get one single contract since they registered here... over 1 year ago? There must be another secret we don't know about.

2 secrets: 1) Make your profile look good to potential clients. You can see the list of other applicants and you want to look better than the rest of them. How you do that is up to you. 2) It's a numbers game. Apply and keep on applying. When I started here, I took applying for jobs AS my job. It worked.
rzc24arcel
Community Member

Job post says, "Quality Writers Needed!" The name of client is WSI; it just started last August 1; their estimated budget is $600; and payment will be paid after fifteen. After sending my application, the client sent me a message to connect to gmail by clicking www.oznet.sitex.us and yahoo by clicking www.munet.sitex.us When I clicked the links, I wonder why I was asked to sign up to both gmail and yahoo, while in fact, I already signed in to both my accounts. That's the time, I got suspicious and looked for oDesk forum and I found this article. I found that too many of what the article describes fits WSI like interviewing 32 people at the same time, asking to write a sample, and vague job description. I decided to withdraw my application. Thanks for this post!

Did you sign into Yahoo and Gmail from their site? You might want to change your passwords if that's the case.

I got this invitation too, this is a phishing attempt, the links will record your log in details that can then be used to hack your info! Change all passwords immediately, and if any other account has the same or even similar password/login, change them too.

Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...

Yes, my gmail account was compromised. When I was signing into my gmail account this morning, I received a notification that a suspicious activity was detected using my account. I changed my password then I read that two separate attempts were made to use my account, one from Pakistan and the other from Austria.

And the original job post showed the user from UAE. Probably changing IP addresses. Report to CS immediately if you haven't already. Change alllll possible passwords and usernames that are even remotely similar as they will probably begin guess work now.

amilosevski
Community Member

"please let me know as I am interested in getting this done quickly and effectively" "So I'm thinking the best way would be for you to spend a little time profiling the game initially and then reporting back to us on what you have found and what you think needs doing? What do you think? Is this a good way forward and if so, how long do you think it would take to do the profiling" Little time = estimate time (If some can give estimate on unknown code and uncharted territory bottle necks I would pay of teaching lessons)

You don't get bigger companies here. Small agencies (5-6 men) or even worst one developer sub sub sub contracting.(Not counting India unlimited resources and skills teams they can't do the job taken so they post here) Can't understand their CEO can be so dumb. They just think about expenses only. Only what should cost. Cost cost is only in their mind. But what. What should cost? What? They what quick and effective. Can't understand cant learn simple practice in their 1$ worth 1gold brick. 1. Make interview and choose developer with skill/rate you think is right 2. Hire him for 5-10hrs to check your code and be familiar with it. Then ask to give you estimate about making changes and fixing bugs.... Thx
pchavers
Community Member

This was very informative! I have come across some of these situations myself. A lot of this I already know but some I was not aware of. Thanks for sharing these tips! They are very helpful and I am taking notes so I won't forget them.
cheuy
Community Member

This is an awesome list, especially for newbies. Thanks for taking the time out to help fellow odeskers stay safe and stop some potential heartache. Rated 10 stars.
belleslettres
Community Member

In fairness to clients who asked for free samples by breaking the tasks into smaller ones, I try to get a contract for it even if it is just worth $1.25, prorated with the original contract price. There's also this client whom I've noted that hired a contractor already, but kept interviewing me and asked me to proof-read a short, one page article. He is in full support at first and explained everything while I was working on the piece, and was nowhere to be found after I have submitted the proof-read article (oDesk messaging and Skype). I have produced two pieces from that job, one re-writing and one proof-reading. After a few days I confronted his lack of decency in failure to inform me whether he approve of my sample job or not. To my surprise within 5 minutes he replied (aha!) in defense to his action, without apology or reason for his absence and unresponsiveness. He threatened to file a complaint against me, to which I retaliated by reminding him of the policy against free work samples. He stopped corresponding. Of the two pieces that was spawned by that tryst, I used it as a sample work attachment whenever I am applying for re-writing or proof-reading. I believe I am entitled to that work and I can call it my own since it was unpaid for. (Unethical I know)
vintagecameo
Community Member

I just learned that clients can change the job description after hiring you. I was recently hired to do a simple job with a low budget, which I accepted because work is slow lately and it was an easy job. After hiring me the client changed the job description so that the job was much more involved and complicated. And is now upset that I didn't do a more difficult job than I originally agreed to. So... when you get that notification that you were hired for a job, go back and make sure the job description hasn't been completely changed to something else.
jazul_vivian
Community Member

Thanks Darren, Thanks for all the info.. its very helpful especially to Odesk newbies like me.. =) Keep it up..
mthschick2006
Community Member

What about this one. They contact you with an interview, you accept interview, it is 2 months before you hear anything back, you you do not respond, they accuse you of taking more than 2 weeks for of no response when it has only been a few day, they call you unprofessional when they deny the application stating that you have disappeared.

Two things come to mind. 1) Forget'em and find someone else. Don't even look back. 2) oDesk has problems with commications on msgs, could be that they did send you a msg that you never got.

Bethany, what do you think about that one? That is the real question. Joseph is right, decline and don't look back. But also learn from it. It seems that you needed to come here for encouragement to break off this interview process. You should be thankful that it didn't get to the hiring phase before this behavior started. The whole time in the interview process, the #1 question has to be, "Is this someone that I really want to work with." Watch for anything that makes you consider answering, "no." And then, say No. You do not need permission. That client calling you unprofessional in the interview process means nothing for your future. No other clients are privy to it. If you had actually worked for him and allowed him feedback, that would be a different story. Say no and be thankful.
amilosevski
Community Member

"YouTube, facebook, twitter, WordPress, etc." In fixed budget jobs there is not ETC. But very detail specification. ETC in your description mean ETC in the budget size. Period. 5) Please give a look at the functionalities of pixelpipe, hellotxt, and pingfm to have an understanding of what we need. You should supply specification with all requirements written,screenshoots,skatch.... I want like this functionality" only as support of clear defined documents. Our time isn't free in order we check websites, application in order to understand what you need. "- Payment milestones: -- 10% upon hire <-- not needed but good pointer of serious customer. -- 10% upon initial prototype -- 20% upon beta testing release -- 20% upon bug-fix (post beta) -- 25% upon release -- 15% upon post release support period" This kind of milestones are out of the common logic. Let say developer have passed this phases -- 10% upon hire -- 10% upon initial prototype -- 20% upon beta testing release which are 40% budget for 90-95% of job Big 20% for bug fixes equal to almost whole development of beta. Not logical at all. 25% So bigfrom beta and bug fixes to release.?????? -15% for undefined prob unlimited support period. Nonsense.
amilosevski
Community Member

Fixed Price Project - Est. Budget $500.00 - Posted 0 day ago Job Description Need to start building ecommerce for my site. Need to add a video to my front page Need to make my entire site mobile to do all the above Need to add a twitter feed to my front page. Need Seo for my site. Need virtual assistant or function on site Need more, can't think of it right now, but ask.<-- please someone try to estimate that(mind readers welcome) Reply with your best bid reply ardour to this ad or your application will be denied. Your application will be denied if you request more than 15% upfront
amilosevski
Community Member

You can learn all of this but you can't be safe. There will me even more tricks and if you have enough experience you can even smell them you can been hit on your feedback no matter what. That is softies and unprotected spot. Even in best attitude to break contract when customer is rude,... and you say sorry sir I'm not satisfied with level of communication we should split... your feedback would suffer. Can lose one or more stars Skills are not even school boys in your of expertize when they are allowed to make judgment. Can lose one or more stars in Availability if once you not respond in the time customer things that you should respond (which is always less then day and in the jobs that are 2-3hrs a week when customer need you). Should you be 24/7 available Can lose one or more stars in Communication if you complain of level of he communicate to you. (You aren't slave so he allowed to use whip, you know what I mean) Can lose one or more star in Cooperation if you not say Aya sir! and just follow like solder, literally in many cases. You aren't allowed to drop it under 4.0.(Seen hundreds job where customers even open stated 4-5 some even 5)Common people who is perfect? I could real give them to most of them 2-3 max. But I'm giving them 5.0. Why? Chance to hire you again and improve him self as human and customer is low when you give him real but low Second when other customer see giving low score feedback to previous customer, always would think that is something wrong with you no matter what the truth is. And after all no matter how quality and timely they will suffer cos of their money (All happy with the progress and quality in current week got nasty angry sad and mean and so on next week when their account got charged or when they see overall spending) and your feedback would suffer. Feedback is most important to you. He can create new account with different bank or else and continue scamming. Now oDesk would say that is not allowed bla bla bla...I"m seeing guy from Isreal with similar job text which I could recognize and 2 times was interviewed being scamming(free work) from 2005 and was expeled from oDesk in 2012 and then I saw him again with new account saying member since 2012. So dear Daren J...Cest la vie

"Our company is now seeking a detail-oriented Accounting Manager to join our growing, fast-paced company. Tasks include but not limited to the following: • Manage Accounts Payable, Invoicing, Accounts Receivable and other accounting functions in the Seattle office. • Utilize Accounting / Project management system -- enter journal entries, run reports, extract data. • Utilize excel to create weekly cash flow report and month-end client/project activity review. • Perform regular month end functions including balance sheet and bank reconciliations. • Supervise full-time Office Manager and work with internal Account Teams. If you are interest please submit your resume. Compensation : $23.7 per hour." The company has several scams going right now. I googled "The Real Thing Company" and I found a reference to a scam interview that occurred on Yahoo in November of last year. The interview that I am having on Yahoo is almost word for word as the scam interview posted, including the typos. They told me the company doesn't issue paychecks due to company policy. The pay would be in the form of direct deposit or credit card. When I insisted on a paycheck they granted that. They're offering to send me a payment to set up my "mini office". I'm assuming this check is counterfeit. They're insisting that I purchase certain "softwares and equipments" to get started with. They say it's strict company policy. They want me to purchase (from their vendor, of course) "MYOB bussiness essentials software 2011,Peach Tree Software ( US Patent Single Users Pack ),simply accounting 2011. Microsoft Office Accounting and X window time tracker." They now want my email to send me a letter of employment. I told them to use Odesk for that. I'm supposed to get online with them tomorrow at 8am my time for my update. I've flagged this job as inappropriate. I sure hope no one falls for this.

This should list more on them.... http://www.sohojobs.com/SOHOJobs/blog/310/

That's where I originally found the info but I didn't know if it was okay to post the name of the site. I haven't received my "update" that I was supposed to receive at 8am.
kimmiemooo
Community Member

Here I go again. "Depa careers is hiring for Accounting and Payroll professionals. U.S. candidates ONLY. Hourly pay to be discussed during the interview. Please have at least 3 years of accounting and payroll, Must know Word, Excel, Quickbooks, and Outlook. Duties to include: Prepare and verify daily reports, Compile monthly reports, checking and auditing timekeeping records, entering new hires into the payroll system, posting changes in pay and tax status. Please attach a resume if you have one. " I applied, got this message: "Dear Applicant, Our company has reviewed your "RESUME" from odesk.com Stated below are the vacancies: Receptionist,Medical data entry,Administrative position,Office manager and Accounting officer. All you need to do right now is to add "Ms Noor Sweid" on yahoo messenger for your interview today Friday 09/28/2012 .. Time 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday. Her yahoo messenger ID is (depa_hr@yahoo.com ) Add her right now she will be online waiting to have you interviewed. Best regards Recruitment Officer." I googled it and found: http://antifraudintl.org/showthread.php?42001-Mr-Orhan-Depa-Limited I am choosing not to go through with the interview process (this takes a ton of time out of my day, since they appear to interview like 50 people at one time and the lag time is horrendous), but I can pretty much guess what the script is. I'm not at all interested in a fake check in order to set up my "mini office". I already have a "mini office". Anyone interested in this position - this appears to be a scam.
kimmiemooo
Community Member

I'm beginning to think I have a target on my forehead. "Hello, We have reviewed your resume and I must say we are pleased with your qualifications and we would love to hire you for the position of an ONLINE DATA ENTRY clerk. We want to set up an interview with you. Please get back to us if you are interested in interviewing for the position so we can hire Immediately." I didn't apply for this job. I did, however, do the interview. On Yahoo. Again. Pretty much the same idea, although the script was a little different. But I was able to google some of the bizarre wording: "Let me know when you have finished reading and understanding every line." Of course, there's like 50 results with that very same wording on various scam sites. The job posting has 271 applicants. Out of those 271, 215 were initiated by the client. Just shoot me. I'm busy painting my kitchen ceiling and I don't have time for this. :/ Also, is there a better place to post about job scams? I've been using this thread but maybe there's somewhere better?
lesli
Community Member

I received the same offer and also did the Yahoo interview. They asked for me to email my personal information: Name, address, phone number, and email address. I told them I wouldn't give out personal information and would only correspond through oDesk. It sounded too good to be true (red flag!), but it was what was said at the end of the interview that really hit it home: "Have a nice day and God bless you [...] Do have a splendid evening." With the typos throughout the interview and the odd English and grammar, it's obvious this is a scam.
kimmiemooo
Community Member

a little due diligence to find out. They speak so oddly that a quick google will turn up info about it being a scam. It had something new this time, they didn't mention a check to set up a "mini office". When I inquired as to whether I would need special software, they told me the company would take care of it. When I inquired further about it they said I'd find out later.
amilosevski
Community Member

Customer decides how much would pay and when would pay and or not pay at all or Extract from one job: " This job will be on a fixed price bases. You Will Get Paid Once Customer Pays Me. <--------- green green grass You Must let me know how long the project will take you. After 6 apps created You will get a Bonus. Contract will be Ongoing. Started Date will be discussed in interview. You Must Have Skype. Must be able to work under pressure. You Will be working On 1-3 apps at a time a week. ( If You Made 3 apps in a week you get paid for doing all 3 apps once i get paid from client ) "<--------- what is the benefit in this could you explain me someone with good English????
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths