🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Proposal declined as "Ignored instructions in...
Page options
deborah-ponzio
Community Member

Proposal declined as "Ignored instructions in Job Posting" but it is false

Hello, I am disappointed as a client invited me to make a proposal for a job posting which carried a detailed company and product description, but no instructions nor task list. I can provide the job link as evidence.

I made myself available to have a conversation and learn more about the expectations of this client.

It came out that this client has poor English and I did try to adapt to it. He stuck to written messages and ignored my suggestion to have a video-chat via the Upwork system.

I suggested a first step to start the work, explained that in my market everyone is on leave (peak summer holiday) and explained what could be done in view of contacting clients directly, i.e. a desk research to identify clients and asked if it was okay and what he suggested as next steps and timeline. 

He answered "Yes Ms. Deborah this is the first step. However, we do not want to make collabaration like that. We want to sell products for end users."

To me it is obvious that he wants to sell.There was no trace of work instructions nor tasks in his job proposal. My objective was to agree with him on a set of tasks and timleine to meet his expectations.  I kindly responded by saying that I understand this and suggested that he drafted a list of tasks that he expected and his intended timeline, preferrably in an attached document, to which I could add my inputs. I also offered to him my help in drafting such list if needed.

He remained silent for a few days, and today I received two notifications that my proposal has been declined, the latter carrying the reason "Ignored Instructions in Job Posting", which I see as an unfair and derogatory representation of what actually happened.

I wish to add that:

1) This client has posted a similar job, targeting the same markets of the one he invited me to, suggesting that he wishes to pay a "commission on sales": now, do Upwork's payment options include commissions on sales? I have to say that he has not mentioned commissions in our correspondence.

2) His payment method is still unverified 8 days after our first contact. 

My questions are:

1) Does such derogatory and false reason stated by client in declining the proposal have an impact on me as new freelencer in Upwork, and how?

2) If so, can I apply to have that removed, as I can share evidence of the contrary?

3) Shall I flag this client?

I would be grateful for any advice,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Deborah P wrote:

My questions are:

1) Does such derogatory and false reason stated by client in declining the proposal have an impact on me as new freelencer in Upwork, and how?

2) If so, can I apply to have that removed, as I can share evidence of the contrary?

1. No impact, no

2. Nobody sees it, there is nothing to remove

3. Nothing to flag the client for either

Commision only jobs are not necessarily forbidden, they just have to be set up as fixed rate contracts with milestones, each milestone being an agreed number of sales for example.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Deborah P wrote:

My questions are:

1. No impact, no

2. Nobody sees it, there is nothing to remove

3. Nothing to flag the client for either

Commision only jobs are not necessarily forbidden, they just have to be set up as fixed rate contracts with milestones, each milestone being an agreed number of sales for example.

Dear Petra, Thank you very much for this. Have a good day

Hi Deborah,

I would like to confirm that the information Petra shared is correct. If you have any additional questions or you need further help, feel free to reach out to me via PM (click on my name) with more details. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Dear Goran, Thank you

martina_plaschka
Community Member

It has no other impact than a dent to the ego, but that comes with being a freelancer. Brush off and move on!

Dear Martina, thank you - it's already over for me 😉

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths