🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,767 REPLIES 1,767
21a2f5b4
Community Member

Hi everyone! I am new to upwork. I just got my rising talent badge and have been working on my profile. Can you help me to find my first job or client?
Thank you in advance.

Nice profile. Some more attactive things should be included.

Regards.

655be748
Community Member

How the connects impact your first job ? These are important to getting first job, but new ones are struck due to these limited connects. Is there any relaxation for the new joiners  or how they can get more connects?

Hi Faraz,

When you join the Upwork platform as a freelancer, they will give you 60 free connects,-I believe.

The trick is: not all jobs projects ask for the same number of connects.

If you run out of connects, you won't be able to submit any more projects unless you buy more connects. (It's important to gauge and watch your connects deplite.)

You can buy more connects:  In your Upwork account dashboard. The cost of one connect ranges from $0.15 to $0.30, depending on your country of residence.

I hope sincerely this helps you!

402bb91a
Community Member

I am new here. How to get my first job?

You should create a strong profile and write a good proposal when you apply for any jobs. As for a job, you have to define what is your major and which aspect you want to work on so that you can present your strength to the clients. 

Nice Question.

829a0987
Community Member

i am new here and i always take participate on bidding but no one is hiring me 

e750e135
Community Member

I don't know why but from last 2 months I didn't find my first client. I deleted my 2 years old account and make new one to build a profile from zero but still didn't work can some help me out

Perhaps review the Academy video's they have some news in there that might help.

I heard you need to change the look of your profile frequently.

Yes I thinks its true.

Regards.

hello everyone, am new on Upwork.. I hope to be guided pls

Upwork is a popular online freelancing platform where clients can hire
freelancers for various types of projects, including design work. Many
designers on Upwork use Sketch, a vector-based design tool commonly used
for creating icons, user interfaces, and other graphical elements. Sketch
is particularly popular among Mac users due to its native support for macOS.

When hiring a designer on Upwork, you can specify your requirements in the
job posting and mention that you prefer someone who is proficient in Sketch
for designing icons for Mac. This will help attract designers who are
experienced with Sketch and can create the icons you need.

When evaluating freelancers on Upwork, it's always a good idea to review
their portfolios and past work samples to ensure they have the skills and
experience you're looking for. You can also directly communicate with
potential candidates to discuss their expertise with Sketch and their
ability to meet your specific design requirements.

Remember that the availability and proficiency of designers using Sketch on
Upwork can vary, so it's important to thoroughly evaluate the candidates
and communicate your expectations to find the right freelancer for your
project.

Hey Muhammad,

I looked at your profile and my suggestion for you is to focus on specific skills and areas that are your strongest. As you know Web development is such a broad and massive category with so many technologies and skills. I think if you make your profile less general and focus on more specific technologies and skills, it would help you land better jobs at higher rates. Yes you might not be able to apply to all jobs with a focused profile but I think you'll have a better chance of landing the job.

I'll have to say I'm not an expert on this but that's just my general opinion and mindset.
Good luck!

Thanks, IIia for your feedback... 💕

Yes I need your help
f78f0c5d
Community Member

Hi 

Iam new here and my need to get my first job if any one can help me and tell me what to do 

Iam a fourth year dentistry student  

4b553958
Community Member

I need guidelines to help me learn how to use upwork. 

Hi Ahdab,

On Upwork, your profile is a critical tool to your success. It is a great way to demonstrate your skills and experience. Leveraging it to its full potential may help you differentiate yourself from other freelancers and improve the likelihood of getting hired. Here are some of the items successful freelancers incorporate into their profiles below:
  • Build your profile: This is your chance to showcase your skills and experience to potential clients. Complete your profile, including your work history, education, and a description of your services.
  • Build a strong portfolio: Your portfolio may help impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. Add any projects you’ve completed in the past to help you showcase your skills.
  • Network with clients: Establish good relationships by delivering quality work on time and communicating effectively. This can help you secure repeat business and new opportunities in the future.
  • Bid on projects: When you find a project you're interested in, submit a proposal outlining why you're the best candidate for the job. Make sure to tailor your proposal to the specific project and client.
Still need to figure out where to begin on Upwork? These resources can point you in the right direction:

With these steps, you'll be on your way to success.
Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork

Ask the bot on UpWork where the Academy videos are.

You can learn so much in there. I have been on UpWork since 2018 and love learning new things.

barkatbu
Community Member

Hi Barkat,

On Upwork, your profile is a critical tool to your success. It is a great way to demonstrate your skills and experience. Leveraging it to its full potential may help you differentiate yourself from other freelancers and improve the likelihood of getting hired. Here are some of the items successful freelancers incorporate into their profiles below:
  • Build your profile: This is your chance to showcase your skills and experience to potential clients. Complete your profile, including your work history, education, and a description of your services.
  • Build a strong portfolio: Your portfolio may help impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. Add any projects you’ve completed in the past to help you showcase your skills.
  • Network with clients: Establish good relationships by delivering quality work on time and communicating effectively. This can help you secure repeat business and new opportunities in the future.
  • Bid on projects: When you find a project you're interested in, submit a proposal outlining why you're the best candidate for the job. Make sure to tailor your proposal to the specific project and client.
Still need to figure out where to begin on Upwork? These resources can point you in the right direction:

With these steps, you'll be on your way to success.
Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork
bc617173
Community Member

Hi, I am writer... 

e489ff77
Community Member

Hi! I am Mukesh kumar mandal new in upwork.I am a computer science and engineering student currently studying in 2nd semester at khulna university bangladesh.I have a skilled of microsoft word,microsoftpowerpoint,articles,c programming ,canva logo design etc.here is some ms word  power point, examples-; that i have sumbmit as my assingement in university.

abbasiaslam
Community Member

Am a professional graphic designer but I am not getting any orders. How to get the order? Thank you

2590cfa2
Community Member

Actually i will send a proposal on Upwork..i want to know that will client message me on whatapp for their work?

Hi Bareera,

Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting hereFeel free to also check this page to help you stay safe on Upwork.

~ Nikola
Upwork
b120e479
Community Member

Thank you for sharing this.

2595d197
Community Member

Hy I am new user on upward but I am expert this work 

f7f1a42a
Community Member

Hi

I am Bilal khan I'm new here on Upwork...hoping that someone out there wants to give a project and I'll be grateful to work with you... hope that you'll give me a chance to earn for my family thank 

This is not the place to apply for a job.
Work on your profile.
I already answered you in another post.

i agreed 👍

c5e20c07
Community Member

Good evening everyone I'm looking for a cliets that willing to give a opportunity 😇 

I'll give my very best shot.

33165df7
Community Member

I am new here plz give me some tips so I can learn online work and earn

Have you even read the main post of Andrea (moderator) and the reply posts of the others?

Hello Maria,

I agree with you very much! No one looks at the moderator or other answers to post in the community.

I answer the same 3 questions daily-to help people in the community.

Beginning to feel that they do not want to view the learning path videos in the Academy at all.

I have to watch them all the time. Right now, I even had to send customer support 'screen shots' for proof that I viewed them so that I could earn badges. 

This isn't fair. I wish others would review the entire threads for advice, rather than wanting things spoon feed just for them.

Your discussion is valuable.

Regards wasif 

I'm new but I'm not able to find a job

Yes am very happy to join
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths