🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Unable to upload driver's license
Page options
bhar5027
Community Member

United States Location Verification - Unable to do

Getting this error:

Unfortunately, you cannot submit a proposal for this job post because it requires location verification. Based on your previous attempts, you are currently not eligible to verify your location. Please contact customer support.

I had uploaded the driver's id once but it said verification failed. 

I need help on this. 

Please help me resolve the issue.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. If you've encountered any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by selecting the "Get Support" button on this page and they’ll be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

5,266 REPLIES 5,266
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Adam,

One of our agents will reach out to you and assist you further regarding this, thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

No one still has not reached out to me 

I have been unable to verify my location within the U.S a my I.d. image was not accepted multiple times. How can I get past this?

Hi Thomas, 

One of our team members will reach out to you and assist you further. Thank you for your patience!

~ Bojan
Upwork

I am new to Upwork, my profile has just been approved. But it is asking for ID verification. I sent it through and everything but it says the name on my profile doesn't match the name on my ID but it does. Any advice?

Hi Catina Marie,

I see you already have an open ticket about your location verification. The team will assist you via that ticket shortly.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

During ID Verification says my name doesn't match. Where can I send a picture so UpWork can manually verify?

Hello Devonta,

I have escalated your concern. One of our representatives will reach out to you shortly. Thank you.

Untitled

I am having the same problem. My driver's license includes my middle name. I changed my Upwork name to include my middle name, and it has rejected it. Now it says I have tried to many times. Help!

Hi Leigh,

Please click on any job in your U.S-only feed. At the top of the page, you should see a notification asking you to contact customer support with a green link. If you go ahead and click the link, it should allow you to create a ticket directly to customer support so that they can help you resolve your verification issue.

~ Valeria
Upwork
knoise
Community Member

I just tried to use my new real id licence to validate my location but it was not accepted. 

thank you,

kyle

cylver1z
Community Member

Hi Kyle, 

I'm sorry to hear that. Can you please send us a ticket by clicking the Contact Customer Support link in the error displayed when trying to submit a proposal to US only jobs? If you are still having some trouble sending us a ticket, please reply to this thread.

Thank you. 

Untitled
fios
Community Member

Before i could apply to a job the system told me i needed id verification so i scanned in my id and the system told me it couldnt be verified, what do i do now? Since upwork has no customer support anymore.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Collin,

Please click on any job in your U.S-only feed. You should see a notification at the top of the page asking you to contact customer support with a green link. Please go ahead and click the link, it should allow you to create a ticket directly to customer support so that they can help you resolve your verification issue.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I was born and raised in the US and never left the country, I uploaded my US diver's license and it says it's not an acceptable form to be id'd by, please someone tell me how to get off this site!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to know you went through that experience, Sy. If you are still willing to give it a try, you may try looking for a job post with a U.S. location requirement, and file a ticket with our Customer Support Team by clicking on the "Contact customer support" link on top of the job post. If you are unable to do this by yourself, please let us know and we'll be happy to assist you further. 

Contact CS.png

~ Avery
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Member

@Avery O wrote:

I'm sorry to know you went through that experience, Sy. If you are still willing to give it a try, you may try looking for a job post with a U.S. location requirement, and file a ticket with our Customer Support Team by clicking on the "Contact customer support" link on top of the job post. If you are unable to do this by yourself, please let us know and we'll be happy to assist you further. 

Contact CS.png

Avery,

I'm curious about the solution to this question which comes up often - why can't someone having a problem with ID verification just get help without the applying for a US job thing? He looks like a freelancer Upwork should work hard to have on their site, but instead he is asked to do this thing that makes no sense.

I will never understand the hoops we are made to jump through, especially as US citizens with valid US driver's licenses.  It took 50 emails to get my ID verified a few months ago, and at the end of that nightmare, I was surprised I had any hair left.

syshanti
Community Member

Hi Virginia,

I was very excited when one of my clients (who happens to be in another country) suggested I take a look at Upwork, but I'm very displeased with this process and embaraased to  share with my client that I could not register because according to Upwork, I can't verify I live in the US because ithey wouldn't except my Los Angeles, CA driver's license, wow.

petra_r
Community Member

Sy S wrote: I could not register because according to Upwork, I can't verify I live in the US because ithey wouldn't except my Los Angeles, CA driver's license, wow.

Just a thought: Is your driver's licence in the exact same name as your Upwork account?

"Sy" might be a short version of your full name in which case it would not match if the driver's licence is in your full name.

syshanti
Community Member

Hey Petra,

That is very possible because Sy is a shorten version of my full name, it just threw me off when it said my licsences wasn't a acceptable file, if it told me names don't match I would have known what to do immediately but I beileve you nailed it.

mtngigi
Community Member

@Sy S wrote:

Hi Virginia,

I was very excited when one of my clients (who happens to be in another country) suggested I take a look at Upwork, but I'm very displeased with this process and embaraased to  share with my client that I could not register because according to Upwork, I can't verify I live in the US because ithey wouldn't except my Los Angeles, CA driver's license, wow.

I understand your frustration ... but if you can figure out how to make things work, you'll probably do well here. The ID verification stuff is because of the many flakes and frauds who create accounts with the intention of simply ripping off clients. Fake names, fake locations, fake photos, fake credentials, fake everything.

Even long-time top-rated freelancers are asked to go through the process (tedious though it may be). I just wish Upwork would streamline/improve upon how they go about this ID process, because as it stands, it's a monumental and frustrating waste of everyone's time.

syshanti
Community Member

Virginia you're awesome,

I wouldn't call myself a hot-head but I have a team that depends on me to utilize their amazing talents and create revenue streams for them so I do not like my time wasted and don't like to waste the time of others so many times I will operate from a no nonsense very firm yet professional mindset.

With that being said, sometimes I’m a hot-head (lol).  But not to the point where I don’t recognize wisdom and guidance. Thank you for taking the time to give me insight, understanding and encouragement, I see what my client was speaking of about the comradery of creatives on this site :  )

Yes I will see what I can do on my part to correct this US id issue and get my account up and running. I may have to start from scratch and put my full name as it appears on my license like Petra suggested.

Best,

Sy

mtngigi
Community Member

@Sy S wrote:

Virginia you're awesome,

I wouldn't call myself a hot-head but I have a team that depends on me to utilize their amazing talents and create revenue streams for them so I do not like my time wasted and don't like to waste the time of others so many times I will operate from a no nonsense very firm yet professional mindset.

With that being said, sometimes I’m a hot-head (lol).  But not to the point where I don’t recognize wisdom and guidance. Thank you for taking the time to give me insight, understanding and encouragement, I see what my client was speaking of about the comradery of creatives on this site :  )

Yes I will see what I can do on my part to correct this US id issue and get my account up and running. I may have to start from scratch and put my full name as it appears on my license like Petra suggested.

Best,

Sy

Not awesome, just trying to explain why they're so fussy about ID's - sometimes to the detriment of efficiency and expediency. And yes, names on IDs, profiles, bank accounts that you set up ... they all have to match.

Just FYI, since you mentioned a team ... if it's not just you, you'll need an agency account, under which all members of your team have to have their individual accounts set up and approved. You can't have an individual freelance account if there will be multiple people working projects you bid on.

Good luck.

sylim69
Community Member

Thanks

petra_r
Community Member

Further to what Virginia explained: If you don't want to verify your location, you are no worse off than the millions of freelancers who are located in countries other than the US, who are not even shown those jobs.

No offence, but sometimes I find the outrage over a process that leads to something that is a privilege and an (arguably unfair) advantage over the rest of a global marketplace somewhat snowflaky 😉

sylim69
Community Member

I never said I didn't want to verify my location, I thanked Virginia and said that I was going to correct what I needed to get verified, what are you talking about?

petra_r
Community Member

@Sylim Y wrote:

I never said I didn't want to verify my location, I thanked Virginia and said that I was going to correct what I needed to get verified, what are you talking about?

I meant it in general, and put a smiley next to it. No need to get mad.

Go to your profile settings and change your name to your legal name, and be done with it.

sylim69
Community Member

Okay, thank you

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the question, Virginia. Contacting the Customer Support from the link provided automatically tags the support ticket with appropriate tags related to "U.S. location requirement," which helps our Customer Support Team identify the problem, and/or, escalate to the necessary department, or provide the correct solution. 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, Virginia. Please know that we value feedback from our users, and the Community, and this will be sent to the appropriate team so that we can improve on our services. 

~ Avery
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Member

@Avery O wrote:

Thanks for the question, Virginia. Contacting the Customer Support from the link provided automatically tags the support ticket with appropriate tags related to "U.S. location requirement," which helps our Customer Support Team identify the problem, and/or, escalate to the necessary department, or provide the correct solution. 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, Virginia. Please know that we value feedback from our users, and the Community, and this will be sent to the appropriate team so that we can improve on our services. 

Still doesn't make sense. The guy needs help now, so help him.

No need to send my comments to the team - Lena listened and responded to my rant about the whole process. To say it needs work and/or streamlining is an understatement.

syshanti
Community Member

Thank you for responding Avery, I'd like to delete and close my account if you can help me with that please?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sy, 

You can delete your account by going to your account Settings > Contact Info > and clicking on Close My Account link to close your account. 

Close My Account.png

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello,

Everything in my profile is up-to-date and looking great. However, when I try to submit a proposal I recieve this error: "You've reached the maximum number of tries for uploading your ID. Please contact customer support." I tried sending a support ticket but it was marked solved without a response and now I can't seem to send another one. It forced me it here.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi Cory, 

One of our team members will reach out to you directly and assist you further regarding your verification process!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Unable to verify ID despite uploading picture of valid, recently-renewed CA state ID. Now I seem to have lost the option to verify altogether. Can't find any link to contact someone who actually works at Upwork for an answer; the "get help" button sends me straight to "ask the community". Beyond frustrated; please help.

Hi Dani,

It looks like you already have a ticket with our support team about this issue. They'll address you via that ticket directly.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello All,

I have just signed up for Upwork and my account was confirmed, this is great news except this issue that I am having: I do live in the States with a valid artist visa which is also known as ''freelancer'' visa and that visa allows me to work on contract for any U.S. employer. But unfortunately the snapshot of this visa doesn't get me through the ''verify your location'' form on Upwork. I don't have a driver license or state issued ID. What am I supposed to do at this point, please someone help. Your help is much appreciated!

Gorkem:

Why don't you just go get a driver's license or state-issued ID?

It's pretty easy to do that.

Probably easier than dealing with the Upwork interface, and you'll have the added bonus of having a driver's license or state-issued ID. Which is useful for all sorts of reasons. Not just working on Upwork.

Great thanks for your advising Preston!

Hi all:

I tried several times to upload a picture of my ID and I kept getting an error. Now, it says that I have tried the maximum amount of times and I must contact Upwork. I sent an email weeks ago but never received a response. Help? I can't apply to U.S. jobs until I do...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths