🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » United States Location Verification - Unable ...
Page options
bhar5027
Community Member

United States Location Verification - Unable to do

Getting this error:

Unfortunately, you cannot submit a proposal for this job post because it requires location verification. Based on your previous attempts, you are currently not eligible to verify your location. Please contact customer support.

I had uploaded the driver's id once but it said verification failed. 

I need help on this. 

Please help me resolve the issue.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. If you've encountered any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by selecting the "Get Support" button on this page and they’ll be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

5,266 REPLIES 5,266
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amanda, 

I'll go ahead and forward your account details to the Customer Support Team so that they can assist you through an email support ticket.

~ Avery
Upwork

I tried to upload my ID multiple times, even taking several different pictures, but unfortunately all attempts were unsuccessful and now it says that Ive reached the maximum amount of attempts. The email link provided also doesnt work.

Hi Timothy, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you. 

~ Avery
Upwork

My girlfriend and I are both freelancers, and we both tried to sign up 3 days ago...hers worked flawlessly, while mine is still not allowing me to submit any proposals..despite the fact that I helped her create her account--so it was done the exact way that mine was..

Now I am stuck because my account has been put on hold because they "couldn't verify my location" which I don't understand, because my drivers license is valid...this wouldn't be so bad if the email I got from Upwork had more useful information.

All it says is: 

"Thank you for attempting to verify your location. Unfortunately, we could not authenticate the ID you uploaded.

As a result, we have placed a hold on your account. Please know you will still be able to work and complete any open contracts and withdraw earnings, but you won’t be able to submit proposals for new jobs or accept new contracts."

How am I supposed to get it fixed?? Am I supposed to wait for you guys to do something? There's no information in that email. Not trying to be a Dick Van Dyke, I'm just excited to get started and this has been frustrating. Please help.

Hi Ethan,

I see that you already have a support ticket opened about your location verification. I'll follow up with the team about it and they'll assist you with verification process directly through the ticket.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you very much! I got an email asking me submit extra stuff and I did that, so hopefully that will be the end of it. They said I might have to wait 3-4 more days for it to be reviewed though Smiley Sad but at least they acknowledged the problem.

My "Submit a Proposal" Box is greyed out and I see this message beside it:

You've reached the maximum number of tries for uploading your ID

I've contacted customer support, but have not received any assistance. 

Please help me resolve this issue so that I can submit proposals.

Hi Jason, 

I'm going to follow up with the team about your location verification and they'll assist you directly via the ticket you submitted. 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi

I uploaded my ID to verify my location, but once I uploaded my ID I got a email stating the my account is on hold.

Thanks

Yasin Jama

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yasin,

Please, click on "contact customer support" link you see in the notification on the top your U.S-only feed and it'll take you directly to the support ticket submission form. The team will then assist you with the location verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, there I´m trying to upload my identification, but I´m having problems as I´m not an US citizen, anyways I can work as a designer with my O1 Visa. Is there a way where I can show my european Visa, City ID or Social security Number?? Thanks

Hi Amaia,

In order to verify their US location, a freelancer needs to provide U.S. state issued driver’s license, state ID card, green card or United States passport. Unfortunately, it's not possible to verify location without one of those documents but you can still have access to all the jobs in the marketplace that don't have U.S.-only requirement.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello, my ID was unable to be authenticated. I followed directions, it was in .jpeg format and my account is not placed on a hold. Will I be able to upload another photo? I am not sure what was wrong with the ID I uploaded ? Please help.   

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aliya, 

I've shared your account information with the team and they will assist you with your issue. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello,

I have tried to verify location with my passport, but it is failed.

Could you help me to resolve this problem?

Thank you

Hello Seth,

Thank you for your message. 

Please follow the instruction below. I hope you will fix the issue. 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/sections/202260558-Submit-Proposals

Thanks

Md Arafat

Hi Seth Mitchell,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you to assist you with this. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello, 

I am having the same issue. I have uploaded my ID multiple times and I am now being told to contact customer support after reaching the maximum attempts. Can someone please assist?

Thank you!

Hi Saney,

One of our customer support agents will reach out to you directly and assist you further with this via ticket. You can access your tickets on this Link. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I have the same issue when I try to submit a proposal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Mudasir, 

One of our customer support agents will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
gene-o
Community Member

Having the same issue. Please assist!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gene, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello I recently Got this email:

**Edited for community guidelines**

Im trying to verify my account but it doesn't seem to let me, and any help would be appreciated

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi John,

We'll have one of our team members reach out to you directly and assist you further with your verification process!

~ Bojan
Upwork
nopam
Community Member

I've completed building my profile and added all the necessary details and when I go to submit a proposal the button is grayed over and I can't click it. Is there something I am missing?

petra_r
Community Member

@Sheunopa M wrote:

I've completed building my profile and added all the necessary details and when I go to submit a proposal the button is grayed over and I can't click it. Is there something I am missing?

Have you submitted your profile for review?

If "yes" - has it been approved?

If "yes" -have you chosen a membership plan in your Settings?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sheunopa,

I checked this for you and you have an open ticket regarding your concern! I will follow up with our team and one of our team members will assist you further shortly.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, 

I am new to Upwork. I have created my account some time ago. and as I was trying to log in, it asks me to verify my location in the US by uploading a picture if a US passport or drivers license. Unfortunately, I am in the US on a student F1 visa and I am not a permanent resident here. how can I verify my location? thanks.

Fakhreddine C wrote:Unfortunately, I am in the US on a student F1 visa and I am not a permanent resident here. how can I verify my location? thanks.

You must be aware that you are not allowed to work off campus at this stage with a F1 Visa.... aren't you?

Are you either 1) trying to get deported or 2) not in the USA at all?

yitwail
Community Member

Petra, after one year, he could work off campus, but the work must be "related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS."

Source: https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors/students-and-employment

@John K wrote:

Petra, after one year, he could work off campus, but the work must be "related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS."

Source: https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors/students-and-employment

Yes, I know that. But it would appear he hasn't been in the US (if he is in the US at all) for a year.  That is why I said "at this stage" 😉

And then there is "the other profile" located in Tunesia.

And the digital footprint.

Most people have difficulty being in two places at the same time

Hi Fakhreddine,

In order to verify their location, a freelancer needs to provide a state ID, driver's license, U.S. passport or green card. Unfortunately, it's not possible to verify location without one of those documents but you can still have access to all the jobs in the marketplace that don't have the U.S.-only requirement.

~ Bojan
Upwork
rimi58
Community Member

Hi there,

I just signed up as a freelnace translator here on Upwork. I'm Japanese, but I live in the US now with my green card that is eligible to work legally. 

However, when I upload the photo of the VISA in my passport, it doesn't work. (Yes, I didn't edit/crop/rotate the image.) I don't have a driver's license yet.

Could anyone teach me how to solve this problem? 

Thanks,

Rimi

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rimi,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly and assist you further with your location verification process. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
rimi58
Community Member

Okay! Thank you so much!
rimi58
Community Member

Hi Bojan,
I'm sorry to bother you again.

Are there any updates for this problem? I didn't receive emails or anything regarding to it yet.

Thank you so much for taking your time.

Rimi

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry for the delay, Rimi. I've followed this up with the team so that they can reach out to you soon. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello,

Is there any way to get my green card used as a proof of residency in the U.S.? The green card is the only ID issued by government I have for the moment and it's a bit frustrating to see all the opportunities I'm missing just because my green card can't be verified.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Cecile

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cecile, 

Your Green Card can be used to verify your location. Please make sure to upload a clear, color, copy of your ID in either of the following formats - JPEG, PNG, or PDF. If the issue persists, let us know and we'll assist you further!

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths