🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Identity Verification
Page options
5cb59c16
Community Member

Identity Verification

Hi Team, 

Today I got my Identity Verification tab in my settings, I have a few questions: -

Q.1) I don't have any last legal name so how are you guys gonna verify my Identity?

Q.2) In my UpWork profile, my current name is "Tushar Sharma", but legally I don't have a last name so what should I do next to get my UpWork Account Verified?

Q.3) My last name in my UpWork profile i.e. "Sharma" is used by me because it was required by UpWork account registration

Let me know your thoughts on it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Tushar,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2,385 REPLIES 2,385

Hi Muhammad,

You don't have to verify your account at this time. The ID verification tab will show up only if our team requests it. We will contact you when verification is necessary. Thank you for your cooperation.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hello,I have problem.On my profile isnt option verify identity.What is problem?

I want to work,I want find job offers.

This is my profile:

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~013b7943e1273f4eff

c380cc98
Community Member

Hi 

SAJIDA
ecea4194
Community Member

Halo, 

What is the rationale for this policy? why is there a ''lag time'' between registering and verification? Unverified freelancer like me would be considered less authentic to a potential client. Don't you think this is a great disadvantage to us?

Martin.

Same problem here. I have been waiting for more than 10 days for the verification badge, which holds significant value when applying for a job. However, I haven't received it yet. How long will it take?

Hi Thisara,

You're not currently required to complete a verification process to obtain the ID Verification Badge. I'm afraid this isn't something you can request. You'll be notified directly once you're required to go through the process. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
0888c3f4
Community Member

Hi Luiggi,

I dont see identity verification tab in account setting. what's the problem here. please help me. check the attatched image.

Regards: - Muhammad Mobeen Abid

0888c3f4_0-1704341201013.png

U have same question 

SAJIDA
5cb59c16
Community Member

Hi Joanne

Thanks for providing me with crystal clear information. I got my profile verified.

Best Regards

Tushar Sharma

ef66b010
Community Member

Dear upwork team, 

I want close my account. But I can't it please help me

131db502
Community Member

Hi, Joanne, 
i have the same issue, i uploaded the ID document more than 7 days ago and still getting the " We're reviewing your ID, which can take up to 1-3 business days." message. can you help me out with this 

i'm already on a contract with a client and i need to get my account verfied ASAP.
thanks.
Mustafa

Hi Mustafa,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I reached out to the team handling your case and your verification is now complete. 

Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
131db502
Community Member

Hi Nikola,
It was resolved succesfully.
Thanks.

- Mustafa

c3309140
Community Member

Hi Nikola, 
i also

have the same issue, i uploaded the ID document more than 5 days ago and still getting the " We're reviewing your ID, which can take up to 1-3 business days." message. can you help me out with this 

I need a JOB completed immediately

thanks.
Adekeye

Hi Mayokun,

Apologies for the delay in reviewing your documents. I can see that you're already communicating with the relevant team via a support ticket and one of our team members is already assisting you. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork

I am new to Upwork and verified my ID a few days back. I have a client waiting for me to discuss on a project. I have uploaded the necessary documents too. But its still showing- We are reviewing your ID... as its my first client can you let me know what's to be done ? Would appreciate if you would kindly look into this.

Thanks a lot.

Hello sir, hope you are doing well. I have 2 time tried to submit identity verification but unfortunately they dont accept and say submit so please let me know which way i need to submit. so i want to solve my issue here. 

username:zaman kashif

email:**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Zaman,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you already opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-28 hours to respond to your request. Feel free to also update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
636ea81f
Community Member

Please, Kindly help me with the challenges of verification on my Upwork account, I can't continue to suffer because of my country's negligence in providing its citizens with the proper means of identification.

4c70e6c8
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

I have also the same problem. It's been more than 15 days, and Upwork is still unable to verify my ID verification. I am also getting the same " We're reviewing your ID, which can take up to 1-3 business days." message. please help me to solve this issue.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,

Abdul Hamid

Hi Abdul,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie,

I am getting only passport option in my dropdown while verifying the identification. Can i verify using goverment id ? 
Thank you.

Hi Roshan,

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued photo ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Annie,

How do I get in touch with support team? I'm facing issue while verifying my identity. I was asked to verify my identity and name should be same as written on ID card so  I had added my "middle name" into the profile, previously it was just "First" and "Last name" I updated and it got approved by Upwork team instantly.

Now I have submitted verification, but the pop up still show up asking me to verify when I click on "get started" my previous name show up with "first and last name" and the "middle name" isn't included. Strange!

What do I do now because if go ahead with the verification again surely there will be conflict with the name(which shouldn't be as I updated and approved it already). Please let me know how do resolve it ASAP as I need to onboard one of my client soon and I don't want upwork to keep some of my services temporarily on hold. Thanks!

- Mohsin

Hi Mohsin,

We're sorry to hear about your trouble while attempting to complete the ID verification process. Could you please try again after clearing your cache and cookies? If the issue persists, please let us know.

~ Joanne
Upwork
d854bb3a
Community Member

I did try again and issue has been resolved. Thanks

6c50f7e4
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

I have uploaded my ID more than 5 days ago and still getting the " We're reviewing your ID, which can take up to 1-3 business days." message. can you help me?

i need to get my account verfied as soon as possible because I need to withdraw an amount plus my payment method is not active and I have my tax information correctly done, any idea what should I do? 
thanks.

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Salma,

I've converted your post into a support ticket to give your concern the attention it deserves. One of the members will contact you on this page with more information and further assistance regarding your ID verification status.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f745d1d5
Community Member

Hi Nikola,
i have the same issue, i uploaded the ID document and selfie more than 2 days ago and still getting the " We're reviewing your selfie, which can take up to 1 business days." message. can you help me out with this 

I am unable to bid in open projects because of this.

thanks.

Hello Jitendara,

I see that your ID submission was reset due to a possible unclear or low-resolution image. Please resubmit the document using a clearer image. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
5f878a1f
Community Member

Hi, Nikola, 
I have gotten into the same issue, I uploaded my ID document 10 days ago and still it's showing the "We are reviewing your selfie which typically takes a few minutes, but could take up to 1 business day." message. I tried to open a support ticket for this but that even I could not do. Please I need help with this. 

e9f0a0bc
Community Member

Hi Joanne
I have been so disappointed lately on the re-verification process and a good account that was built with sweat had to suffer for it.

When i drop my details, i was told to take the images of government issued ID and also Utility bill which i provided.

That wasnt accepted so my account Top rated badge got removed.

I tried it again after going around to get my details differently from the government board and got an updated utility bills

But my job success score of 100 suffered and got to 89 instead.

I have a client i just sealed a project with which required him seeing my upwork account but its in chaos already.

Pls look into this and probably let me speak with an upwork agent so we can do a live verification because if i go this verification again and my suspended acount gets blocked then i would lose all the faith i had in upwork.

Hi Olaboboye,

I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience caused to you during the verification process. I can see that you're already communicating with the relevant team via a support ticket regarding your concern. 

I will follow up with the team handling your request and one of our team members will update your support ticket as soon as possible. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Pls this is taking long, cant an agent verify me directly?
27a4ce7c
Community Member

Good day,

I created a profile already 4 months ago, wrote a detailed description, uploaded a lot of complex project examples in the portfolio, no less than other freelancers, ordered a PLUS plan, sent proposals, but I do not get any interest from clients. And I noticed that similar freelancers from my country earned only those who have an identity verification badge.

1. Would I get identity verification when I earn something?
  2. Do I need to have an identity verification badge to attract clients?
  3. What conditions are required to be eligible for identity verification?

Because without identity verification I don't see the point of using "Upwork". What haven't I done yet?

Sincerely,

Šarūnas

Hi Sarunas,

Thank you for reaching out. I understand it may be frustrating not being able to secure jobs but let me help you out with your questions.

1. It is possible that when you start earning, you'll then be asked to verify your identity to get the badge but it varies for every freelancer. This process is automated and can't be requested.

2. No, you don't. Most clients understand that newbies will still undergo further verifications and not having the badge does not entail that they are not who their profiles say they are.

3. As I've mentioned in # 1, this process is automatic. Verifications and re-verifications happen to accounts that are eligible. Even long-term freelancers are asked to re-verify their accounts for security checks.

I've also pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Good luck!

~ AJ
Upwork
9d69a8d6
Community Member

Hi Joanne, I have this Upwork for over a year now but i did NOT get any email regarding Identity Verification and there also seems to be some problem too Identity Verification section is missing from my settings, how i will become eligible or how it will be sorted. Can you please help in this regard, Thanks.

Hi Hammad,

It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. Please know that verification cannot be requested. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
gitapuri
Community Member

HI,

I am getting an error message stating "You've reached the maximum number of tries to upload your ID. To verify your identity so that you can access all jobs, please contact customer support.". Can you help me ????

Hi Gitanjali,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths