🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Identity Verification
Page options
5cb59c16
Community Member

Identity Verification

Hi Team, 

Today I got my Identity Verification tab in my settings, I have a few questions: -

Q.1) I don't have any last legal name so how are you guys gonna verify my Identity?

Q.2) In my UpWork profile, my current name is "Tushar Sharma", but legally I don't have a last name so what should I do next to get my UpWork Account Verified?

Q.3) My last name in my UpWork profile i.e. "Sharma" is used by me because it was required by UpWork account registration

Let me know your thoughts on it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Tushar,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2,385 REPLIES 2,385
ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Issam,

I see that the team has sent you an email with more information about the status of your ID verification. They've also included instructions on how to complete the review.

Please review the support ticket linked to your case on this page or your email and don't hesitate to coordinate with the team if you need further assistance; they'll gladly help.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

hello Arjay ,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek assistance regarding an issue I encountered with my Upwork account.

Recently, I attempted to verify my identity by providing the necessary legal documents as my profile was 100% complete. However, despite my efforts, I could not locate the option for identity verification within my Upwork profile settings.

After conducting thorough research, I found that most users have access to the identity verification option in their settings. However, it seems to be missing from my account.

I kindly request your prompt assistance in resolving this matter and enabling the identity verification option on my Upwork profile. Your swift action in addressing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to your prompt response.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Hassan,

I have checked your account, and it doesn't need further verification yet. Please remember that you cannot initiate the identity verification yourself, and cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions for completing your verification. 

You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi

I am web developer, I created profile in Upwork but still i am unable to verify my profile , kindly verify my profile so that i may start working in timely manner

Thanks

Tariq Ali

Kindly log out and try again by logging in. Hope you fine the way solved>..

142982b1
Community Member

How can I know that my profile is verified? 

I have completed 100% profile. I have added a portfolio, project, and consultation. 

Hi Mizanur,

It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to users of Upwork. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork

hi icant verify my id because id verifictions  item is not in my profil please help me . thank you

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Amin,

I have checked your account, and it doesn't need further verification yet. Please remember that you cannot initiate the identity verification yourself, and cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions for completing your verification. 

You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
JoanneP

Hi Tushar,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ Joanne
Upwork
15a693f3
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

I haven't recieved an email about verification ID. I have some questions .

1- How long does it take to be sent?

2- Are there any steps to do to receive the email quickly?

3- Can I start work without verifications or should I wait for the email?

Eman.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Eman,

I have checked your account; it doesn't need further verification yet. Remember that you cannot initiate the identity verification yourself and it cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions for completing your verification. 

Yes! You can still submit proposals to potential clients in the marketplace, even without verifying your identity, for the time being. You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Arjay,

My profile was verified but i have updated my profile name and now its not matching my National Id Name so now how i can go with previous verified name because i am not able to verify with latest name change.

636ea81f
Community Member

Please, Kindly fix the whole backlash I'm getting from this app, the means of identification I uploaded is the only means of identification issued to me by the government...

dbc9fee5
Community Member

Please I need serious Help

hello Arjay,
I hope you will get my point my brother in law has faced a serious trouble with him account, his account been suspended since 15days ago, he requested too many requests but it didn't work out,

The main Problem is he can not nether change his Profile picture nor verify his ID.. when he trys to change his profile it says "first verify your ID" and when trys to verifiy his ID it says "first change your profile picture", these things goes ciculate over and over. also he could not see the "other"  option in his ID verification type, also he can't comment here that's why i am writing for him.

hope you will get me and help him out.

regard.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Betelehem,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother-in-law's account. Please remember that for privacy and security reasons, we won't be able to discuss another user's account. For the ID verification issue with his account, please refer them to the support ticket sent by our support team and ask them to update it if they have further questions or concerns. They may also continue coordinating with the team through the email associated with their account and the team will surely him accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
cafca6b1
Community Member

Hi Arjay, 

I am in the same situation.

Upwork is unable to verify any of my passport or ID documents.

I always get this error:

"We had some trouble verifying your ID

It looks like you uploaded an unsupported type of ID. Please try again with one of the following supported types.

If you don't have a supported ID type, please contact us ."

I have tried to upload both my EU passport and ID card, multiple times. How can I get verified?

It's incredibly hard to get in touch with a human about this, so I appreciate if you can help me out.

Thank you.

Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 10.36.30.png

Hi Lana,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page

Feel free to follow up with our team directly via ticket or email if you need further assistance and they will be happy to assist you. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hey there! My name is Muhammad Naveed, and I'm facing an issue with identity verification on Upwork. I'm trying to use my government ID card, but the verification popup shows my name as "Naveed Khan," which is not my legal name. Even though I updated my name to "Muhammad Naveed" in the contact info section, it still displays the incorrect name during verification. I replied to the rejection email, explaining the situation and attaching my ID and passport, the ticket status is open but it's been 72 hours, and I haven't received a response.

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Muhammad,

We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie,

I appreciate your response. Unfortunately, the issue still persists, and it has been five days since I opened the ticket. Despite the reassurance that a team member would contact me, I have yet to receive any communication from Upwork support.

Additionally, I attempted to reach out through the support chat, but the chat bot is not allowing me to initiate a conversation due to the existing open ticket. This situation is becoming increasingly urgent for me as I brought a longstanding client onto Upwork for a significant project. I intended to manage the entire project on Upwork, but the current lack of response is posing a challenge.

Regrettably, it seems that time is of the essence, and my client cannot wait much longer. Consequently, I am contemplating managing the project outside of Upwork to meet the project's demands.

I understand the complexities involved, but if there's any way to expedite the resolution or escalate the matter, it would be immensely beneficial.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Muhammad Naveed

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Muhammad,

Apologies for the delay as our support teams are currently experiencing a higher number of contacts than usual. Rest assured the team will address your concerns and questions via the ticket as soon as possible.

Please avoid creating several tickets or posts for the same concern so that the team could assist you more efficiently. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello Annie.

I'm having difficulties verifying my account and I'd like to know what the problem is. The first time I submitted my national ID card, I waited over two weeks and got no response. This is my second trial and I'm determined to see it through.

However, I'm running out of time as I've decided to establish myself on this platform. Every day I failed to get verified takes me away from my dreams of landing projects on this platform.

I do not understand the complexities involved, but if there's any way to expedite the resolution or escalate the matter, it would be immensely beneficial.

Thank you for your understanding.

hi Annie Jane,

I am having a serious problem with my account. I can't be able to verify my identity. whenever I try to verify that it says it has already filled and that we are working on that, and it takes 1_3 days but it's been over 15 days and now my account is gonna suspended soon because I didn't verify my account. but there is no option to do that plz help me with that. i am uploading the screen shoot so u can see

Hi Izba,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you regarding your account's verification. I've followed up with the team internally and confirmed that part of your submission is under review. You can rest assured that you'll receive an update from them soon. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ff7ab346
Community Member

"I am currently trying to verify my identity on Upwork. However, when I reached the visual verification step, I received an error message stating that my profile photo did not meet the platform's requirements. Although I have uploaded a new photo, the error message still persists. Even in the identity verification column, the visual verification step is showing that it will take a few minutes or a day to review. Can you please assist me in resolving this issue as soon as possible? I need to start working today, and verifying my account is crucial to this process." Could you confirm if this is the correct profile photo?

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sikandar,

I'm sorry if you're having difficulties updating your profile photo. Please check if the image you're trying to upload is in .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png format and at least 250px by 250px and no more than 4000 x 4000px. Also, make sure that it's a clear photo of yourself, not a long shot, that your face is visible, and that the following requirements are met:

• You are not wearing sunglasses in the photo
  • It is not a logo or clip art
  • It is not a group photo
  • The picture was not digitally altered
  • The maximum size is 5 MB
If it meets those requirements and you still can't upload it, please try clearing your cache and cookies and using a different browser to check if the problem persists.

Also, please remember that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. Please check this help article for more information about profile pictures and tips on choosing an excellent profile photo.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f5af3bc1
Community Member

Hi  Arjay.

My official name was captured wrongly during the ID verification process. Instead of "Adedeji Hamed Toromade", it was verified as "Adedeji Hamed Totomade" which is showing on my certificate of earnings and that's hindering adding a bank account with my official ID name. 

Please how can I resolve this.

Hi Adedeji,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

If they need all the information they should be from starting now most of them include me by the name is not original with my national identity card name is different and how can we change all the information is real but fake name I'd like we have lot of things to manage with. 

b612b34d
Community Member

Hello Arjay,

I am unable to verify my identity, I have tried multiple times from Settings > Identity verification by uploading my Indian ID (Aadhar Card, Voter ID) as I do not have Passport/Driving License but each time it is failing. Can you help me with the reason for it and how can I verify it.

Thanks.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Krishna,

If the system is rejecting it, it means the submission was denied. Kindly consider submitting other alternate Valid Government-issued ID. You can also refer to the email sent by our review team for more information about acceptable documents and best practices when submitting your ID for approval.

Once you are ready to resubmit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue. 
Please check this help article for more information.

~ Arjay
Upwork
05815a03
Community Member

Hi Arjay!

Please help me. I can't find identity verification on my settings. When account verification which available on help center articles it brings an error. Has Upwrok changed their settings? I literally can't see identity verification on settings. Kindly help

Hi Mesiet,

I would like to clarify that only earning freelancers are eligible/required to earn the “Identity Verified” badge. If you become eligible/required, we will notify you when you log into your Upwork account.

~ Nikola
Upwork
05815a03
Community Member

Thanks, Nikola.

Excuse me for another question.  What do you mean by "earning freelancers"? Is it another type of freelancers in the platform or you mean freelancers who are already earning money? Because its almost impossible to earn without verification budge. Clients don't seem to even review the proposals from unverified freelancers. 

Kindly assist.  Maybe I opened the wrong account?

Hi Mesiet,

I will be happy to clarify that you have opened the right account. Earning freelancers are those who have already earned money on Upwork. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
dda779a3
Community Member

I want to verify my account. It shows only 'passport'. I don't have passport and I have government verified Citizenship ID. How can I submit it to verify my profile?

05815a03
Community Member

Hi Arjay!

I received a rising talent budge but I have not received an email or a notification to verify my identity.

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mesiet,

Congratulations on getting your Talent Rising badge, however, please keep in mind that this does not ensure that you will be asked to verify your ID.

Your account doesn't need further verification yet. Please remember that you cannot initiate the identity verification yourself, and it cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions for completing your verification. 

You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ AJ
Upwork
0888c3f4
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

I dont see identity verification tab in account setting. what's the problem here. please help me. check the attatched image.

Regards: - Muhammad Mobeen Abid

0888c3f4_0-1704340853448.png

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths