🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: About Identity Verification
Page options
30e5ca4f
Community Member

Identity Verification

Gov. ID was not approved, and yet it worked on a different page.

Everything shows. It´s not a pristine picture, but everything´s perfectly legible. Not sure how I could take a better picture..

Is there a place I can send it for a personal verification ? 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ahmad,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

- Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

2,538 REPLIES 2,538

Hi Igor,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the verification process. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
f61f99b9
Community Member

Thank you, Luiggi! I hope you'll be able to solve it soon.

1f317458
Community Member

Hello Team

I am having an issue with identity verification. I tried to upload my driving license and my selfie it went successfully once but even after it showed me that a manual verification process was going on and then all 3 points were showing in yellow color. But after that message showing in my identity verification tab is :

We've started a manual review
Watch your email in case we need you to answer any questions.

Also I have not found any email in my email account.

So do I need to provide details again or just need to wait and watch? If I need to wait and watch can you please let me know how much time this process will take?

Thanks

Jalpesh Patel

Hi Jalpesh,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via email with additional information.

~ Nikola
Upwork
1f317458
Community Member

Hello NikolaS

Thanks for the quick response. I replied to the same email. How I am getting issues while I am trying to upload my government ID and take a selfie for verification. I shared a video in the same email. Please check it and let me know how I can resolve it.

Thanks

4eb8fa9c
Community Member

Hi ,

I can't submit any proposal due to the ID verfication. It was keep showing the link for Id verification even though I have done that through mobile device twice. Now in the Setting its showing - "We have started a Manual Review.

Watch your email in case we need you to answer any questions."

And I did not get a mail regarding this for a while. And the option are marked as yellow . I am adding a screenshot for your reference. It would be great if you please resolve this issue so that I can focus on work.

5c3bfc59
Community Member

Hello,

Why can't I just do such a basic things as verifying my ID? No client will take me seriously without it, specially as a fresh profile. Consequently, it's a waste of time, energy and money to apply for jobs. What am i supposed to do? Keep spending tens or even hundreds of dollars on connects to apply for jobs, until i find that one in a million person who is willing to trust a unverified person? If landing a client is not the criteria to trigger ID verification, then what is? I'm asking for more transparancy, on what i have to do and what conditions i need to meet in order to be able to work here, so i can plan and make decisions accordingly. 

Please don't give me the "There are other ways of communicating trust, with reviews and bla bla"  BS. You all know ID verification is crucial to not scare potential clients away. Nobody wants to be scammed, expose themselves to risk unnecessarily, or waste their time. 

The funny part is that the chat bot proceeds to explain why ID verification is so important, but then the site doesnt allow you to do it. :))

Currently i'm doing my best to abstain myslef, but this platform and it's practices start to smell very fishy from a freelancers perspective. I feel like i'm being milked, just to be able to apply to jobs.

Thank you.

Hi, Andrei!
I understand how you're feeling right now and so sorry for the inconvenience. I do believe that you already submitted a ticket about this issue, right?

Thanks.

Yes, I've discussed it with the chatbot.

Thanks for the reply.

manaskr
Community Member

Upwork offers ID verification, but it's not always immediately available. They're transparent about this, but it can be frustrating.

Here's what we know:

• Eligibility isn't triggered by landing a client specifically, but by Upwork rolling out verification in phases.
  • Focus on building a strong profile with clear skills and experience. This helps build trust while you wait.

Ok, fair enough.

What are those phases? Or, where can i find info about that?

I have clear skills and past experiences on my profile. So, i should just wait for Upwork to email me?

Thanks for your reply.

manaskr
Community Member

Absolutely! While Upwork doesn't publicly disclose the specific phases for ID verification rollout, focusing on a strong profile is the best approach in the meantime.  If you've raised a support ticket about ID verification, you can expect a reply from Upwork within their usual turnaround time.

5c3bfc59
Community Member

I'm not playing this game. I have a strong profile with everything: portfolio, education, past experiences, etc. I've done all i could on my part. Upwork has my contact details, when i get ID verified i'll resume my activity, maybe. There's no point spending money and time for so such low chances of getting results. Even spending these amounts of money just to apply for jobs is very sketchy. I'll wait.    

I'm New here and already Miffed with this ID verification Process.

Can't get it done so I contacted support and asked for an alternative method of verification...

Chatbot gave me directions which (in practice) don't exist !

My question is:

Why ask me for ID verification if you can't process it ?

Imagine if you post a Job and when you get replies, you tell them that you don't offer that service  but are phasing it in !

Your feedback would be a very interesting read,

It would probably be worth paying just to read that !

manaskr
Community Member

I understand your frustration with the ID verification process, especially when encountering conflicting information. As an experienced Upwork freelancer, here's what I can share:

ID Verification on Upwork:

Importance: ID verification helps build trust and transparency on the platform for both freelancers and clients. It verifies your identity and helps prevent fraudulent activity.

Phased Rollout: Upwork does roll out ID verification in phases. While they might not be able to verify everyone immediately, they're working towards making it available to all users.

If you have already created a ticket, please wait for the support team to reply back to you.

5c3bfc59
Community Member

Sure. As i said, i'll be waiting until Upwork gets at one of those phases. 

How did you get invited for ID verification? How much time did you spend on Upwork before getting here and what did you do on the site in that time?

As soon as I upgraded to "Plus," which was about 3 minutes after registering

Now I'm paying to have my potential ignored. If I'd known of these issues before upgrading, I absolutely would not have bothered.

The Reply to ticket says allow 7 days for a reply ~ ~ As an experienced Freelancer on other platforms, this highlights inefficiency which is unnacceptable, specially when your paying for it !

2be63dd8
Community Member

I'm having the same issue, my "RG" doesn't seem to be valid. Have you managed how to do it?

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Thiago,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that our team has shared some advice via support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
b0242a3e
Community Member

Hi, I am new to upwork. I yesterday added my verification details and now I notified that my profile picture does not match with the ID card. (Because previously I uploded provided picture in veil/mask). Now I have updated a professional profile picture showing my complete face, but stil there is same notification. Due to this issue, my APPLY NOW button is diable and I can not apply for new job. Need help. How much time would it take?

Hi Syeda,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
209c42bc
Community Member

I want to Verify my Government ID ,but my holdded when need to verify my account only display QRcode scan and optional SMS sent to my phone number again and again. no another step redirected to verify. visual and review doesn,t display. also when Iwant to upload my IDpdf no option or page.please help me. if you personal to me help me I send for you my pdf my goverment ID file. again please help want to work on upwork in my proffessional.

shaygan_unity
Community Member

I have upload My identity documents and selfie on 7th March 2024. Today is 20th March and i still have no response or status on varification. Normally it should take 2-3 business days. But its been  2 weeks. Kindly resolve this issue .

shaygan_unity_1-1710927704315.png

memengski
Community Member

I wanted to bring to your attention that I have already submitted my identity verification documents as requested. However, despite this, there is still a warning sign appearing at the top of my account, and I am unable to apply for jobs.

Could you please look into this matter and help resolve the issue? I would appreciate any assistance you can provide in restoring my application access.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

I had this issue before. I was in another country and submitted their permit. That didn't work.

I had to provide my passport and VAT number and select where I'm.

The bigger question is what did you upload there and what did you select

e2f7d817
Community Member

An employer has sent me a link to verify my identity through upwork. The link takes me to scan my driver's license and do a selfie but I keep getting an error message from upwork that states it's internet or upwork itself. I can't get the job because of this. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Christopher, clients are not supposed to send you links to verify your identity, this is done by Upwork itself and in that case you receive an email from Upwork to verify your identity. This is most likely a phishing scam so I would suggest reporting the said client.

Hi Christopher,

We’ll let you know when it’s time for you to earn the "Identity Verified" badge by sending you an email and showing you a pop-up when you log into your Upwork account. You can’t verify your identity before we send you the link. Please note that the notification requesting that you complete the verification process is from Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
6a56932b
Community Member

Hi, 

I am unable to get verified as there is no section appeared on the left bottom side of the page following through the settings and when we go through Identity verification section through other ways even then i am unable to see get started or something but it always provides guidlines rightafter clicking on Identity verification section. 

56a7db8a
Community Member

Hello there! I'm new to upwork. I can't seem to find the identity verification option. I want to verify my identity and have a blue badge beside my name. Anyone knows, how to do that? I heard you can't send proposals and get paid if your identity is not verified.

I had this notification last week. What does this mean? Is it different from account verification?

IMG_0392.jpeg

i have issue with ID verification as well. Im now starting a new job as QA, i want to apply to another QA job but the apply button is grayed out for me until I complete ID verification which I did. I hope someone is checking out the concerns

Hi Andrea,

I checked, and you have not yet completed the ID verification process. Please complete the steps as soon as possible so our verification team can review them. If they need more information from you, they will contact you directly. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Ericka May,

We’ll let you know when it’s time for you to earn the "Identity Verified" badge by sending an email and showing you a notification when you log into your Upwork account. You can’t verify before we notify you. Learn more about the process to verify your identity here.

~ Joanne
Upwork
bca4b278
Community Member

Hello dear support,

I just got a job, now. But Upwork sent me an Identity Verification. I completed the steps, government-issued photo ID, and selfie. 

When I get the identity verification, can you help me for verification?

Thank you from now, 
Kind regards.

And there is a problem i think;

After verifying, confirmation buttons appear on the screen, I did this process twice. But when I refresh the page afterwards, it looks like I haven't sent it at all. I would be very grateful if you could help me. I attached the files, you can see the difference.

Hi Bilal,

I checked with our verification team, and I'd like to confirm that the ID verified badge is already added to your profile. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
bca4b278
Community Member

Hello dear Joanne,

yes, verified badge is added to my profile.

Thanks for interested. 🙂

53dc3e62
Community Member

He tried to do a job, so he was asked to verify my account first so that I could apply for jobs, so I clicked on the link and went to the verification page, and the first page that appeared gave me the choice between sending a link to the phone or using QR. I received the link on my phone number, but it did not work, and when Clicking on it keeps me on the same page, and the same applies when I go to QR. This is a huge mistake!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths