🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
5cb59c16
Community Member

Identity Verification

Hi Team, 

Today I got my Identity Verification tab in my settings, I have a few questions: -

Q.1) I don't have any last legal name so how are you guys gonna verify my Identity?

Q.2) In my UpWork profile, my current name is "Tushar Sharma", but legally I don't have a last name so what should I do next to get my UpWork Account Verified?

Q.3) My last name in my UpWork profile i.e. "Sharma" is used by me because it was required by UpWork account registration

Let me know your thoughts on it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Tushar,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2,385 REPLIES 2,385
25974c09
Community Member

Hello again!

Nobody answering me.  I can't solve the identification problem, it always goes wrong (scanning barcode/document not recognized) and I can't send it or start working. Maybe you have another verification method. Please help me

Hello!  I can't solve the identification problem, it always goes wrong and I can't send it or start working. Please help me, create a ticket. Thank you

Hi Aleksei,

I see that you've been coordinating with the appropriate team about your ID verification. Please continue communicating through this ticket or email so the team can assist you more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
arbermustafa
Community Member

Hi , I am having the problem with my country which is Kosovo, I am choosing my neighboor country which is Albania but it isn't working. Can you help me?

It is about verifying my Location.

Hi Arber,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f2780abb
Community Member

Hello, I updated the info again according to your requirement, pls confirm it asap.

Just now I see your reply at last Saturday in my community, but why didn't you send email to me.

I don't know about it as I am new here, so I am waiting for your confirmation all the time.

f2780abb
Community Member

I already dealed with the Identity verification 3days ago.
Could you pls help to confirm it asap?
any email or online service I can contact you?

Hi Monica,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
f2780abb
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

nobody assist me until now, it is too slow.

Monica, support requests are responded to in the order they are received. As soon as the next available agent gets your ticket in their queue, they'll contact you to assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
f2780abb
Community Member

I was interviewing, why did you ask for identity verification and restrict from replying at that moment? why not earlier or later ? why did you confirm it so slow? it spent 3 biz days now.

so can you move faster?

4ac9f7b9
Community Member

My account is locked private even though I've been working and earning on my upwork profile.

I was also sent a mail to verify my identity and I've submitted my ID document twice without success.

I want my profile public and my identity verified please 

7cf10a10
Community Member

I have a profile and have been offered/acepted my first engagement BUT when I try to verify my identity as you require, the screen attached will not let me get past it. I put in all the requisite information but NOTHING will let me get past it.  Is there a way for me to verify my identity using either a Drivers License or video/photo? HOW DO I GET PAST THIS SCREEN--WHAT MIGHT BE CAUSING IT?

thank you,

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

I've converted your post into a support ticket to give your concern the attention it deserves. You may access your ticket and coordinate with the team on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
hamdard8
Community Member

I have created this profile five years ago, and I used it many times whenever I reached to it. But I didn't saw any ID verification option to verify my profile and to take my blue tick verification badge.
Now what to do and How to do?

Work as is. You cannot initiate that.

Upwork team will contact you about verification later. In many cases after first money received.

But who will accept my proposal? No one care about unverified accounts.

970f7e9c
Community Member

I have been trying to submit a ticket it seems a bit too difficult to do. I dont know why none of the links work and your chat bot is godawful. You guys or your site has been giving me the run around. First I despise my personal information being on the internet. You seem to require it. So I jumped through your hoops to do it. Used connects, and even spent money on them. Only to find out weeks later you put a hold on my account and didnt send my proposals. Why because I had to take a selfie, and give my **bleep** ID, and give a profile picture. Well thats ridiculous but fine, I did that and you wont accept my selfie or my profile pic. As of right now you are thieves. Accept my pics, give me my connects back and in the future dont make so difficult to get ahold of someone. You should also rethink your extensive personal information requirements. If you wont put your information up to talk to a human then you shouldnt require mine.

Hi Dave, 

I've contacted the team handling the review and they confirmed that your ID has been verified. You can now see the ID Verified badge on your profile to validate the action taken on your account. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
970f7e9c
Community Member

And what about my 60 connects that have been wasted because of this. I would like them back.

970f7e9c
Community Member

Still waiting.

970f7e9c
Community Member

Still waiting considering you have taken my money. And had my profile on hold while I used my connects those connects were not viable and I would like them back.

Dave, I do not see any issues with the Connects you used to submit your proposals, as they were correctly submitted to the potential clients you sent them to. Would you mind elaborating a bit further on the issue you saw on your end with your proposals?

~ Luiggi
Upwork
970f7e9c
Community Member

I sent them 3 weeks ago when my account was on hold. Therefor they were not seen, According to your website a profile on hold cannot have their proposals seen. Since I was verified yesterday and my proposals still haven't been seen. It means the job isnt needed anymore. And my connects to use those proposals were a waste. If I was put on a hold I should not have been able to submit proposals that would not be seen. And I even spent money to get more connects. This is unacceptable. I would like the opportunity now that my account is verified, unlocked, and visible, to use those wasted connects to try to apply for a job that is attainable. You know if you had phone number this would be easier.

Still waiting 

970f7e9c
Community Member

Still waiting. Its not very fun to be stolen from. 

Dave, your account has not been placed on a hold that would've prevented clients from seeing or responding to your proposals. Based on this, I'm afraid we won't be able to issue a refund for the Connects you used to send those proposals. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
970f7e9c
Community Member

It was placed on hold and I looked at my proposals and non were looked at. Your own site told me it was on hold. I know its not now but it was week ago. I would like a phone number. because you guys have offically stolen from me. Let me speak to someone on the phone or my next move will be to the BBB.

Hi Dave,

I understand your concern. As confirmed by Luiggi, there was no hold placed on your account when you were notified to verify it. Your submitted proposals were still visible to your clients, and no further action was taken on them.

Regarding Connects, they are returned only if the client closes a job without hiring a freelancer or if the job post is removed by Upwork due to a TOS violation. I noticed that you recently received a Connect refund for a closed job. However, we do not return Connects if your proposals were not viewed by clients. For more information, you can refer to this help page. If you still wish to speak to our customer support, here’s how you can reach Upwork Support:
  1. Visit the Contact Support page.
  2. Click the “Chat with Upwork” button.
  3. Type your question or topic and select “Send.”
  4. The chatbot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  5. Confirm if you need additional help, and if so, specify the account type you need assistance with.
  6. The available support options will be listed, and you can select the appropriate one to contact the Upwork Support Team.
Thank you for your understanding, and feel free to message us if you have further questions or need any other assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork

That's fine you will recieve an notice from the BBB. Why does non of my proposals say they have been recieved or viewed. 3 weeks not one view. I received a notice from you that my account was locked or whatever amd that my proposals could not be seen until i verified. Someones lying. You robbed me out of my money and don't even have the courtesy to speak to me on the phone. You people are a scam.

I shared your report with our team, Dave. One of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
4ac9f7b9
Community Member

I can't seem to get my account verified. I've been trying for 3 days now and I have just 4days left lest I lose my ongoing contract and profile 

Hi Juwaretu,

We understand the urgency of your ID Verification concern. However, I see that the team has reached out via email with more information and further instructions in completing the review. Please visit your ticket here or your email for more information and don't hesitate to coordinate with the team if you need further assistance; they'll gladly help.

~ Arjay
Upwork
matthewgoodman
Community Member

I haven't used this account for a while but wanted to jump back in. I can not submit proposals because they are all greyed out. I thought I had every thing verified but I can't find anywhere to check or redo that. It would be much more help if we could talk to someone other than a chatbot that disappears mid convo. 

Anyone else have these issues?

Hi Matthew,

I see that the team has responded to the support ticket you raised here with more information and instructions for resolving the issue. Please access your ticket or your email and coordinate with the team if you need further assistance. Thank you for reaching out!

~ Arjay
Upwork

The link you sent brings me to a ticket from 6 years ago and the link they provided does not take me anywehre but a 404 page. How am I supposed to start a new one? This is getting ridiculous. None of your links work anymore.

Is there any other fix to this or should I just go elsehwere?

10f6b1ef
Community Member

Hi team,

I have created my profile two days before and it's not verified yet and also didn't received any initial connects too.

can anyone help on resolving this issue.

Thanks 

Hi Jitendra,

We are slowly rolling this option out to freelancers. When you become eligible, we’ll notify you when you log into our site. You’ll be asked to upload an official government ID and meet with us for a quick video call. Once you successfully verify your identity, a badge will be added to your Upwork profile.

~ Joanne
Upwork
3cf9e301
Community Member

Hi Upwork team,

I have been facing issues regarding verification both for ID and visual verification i don't have passport but uploaded a government id but it keeps saying We're unable to process your ID at this time. You may be able to add your ID again later. and for the visual verification it says We are reviewing your selfie which typically takes a few minutes, but could take up to 1 business day which has taken over a month.

can you please help

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths