🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Very disappointed about the boost policy....
Page options
ShannonL
Community Manager
Community Manager

Marketplace Updates: Boosted Proposals and Connects

Two new Marketplace updates: 

  1. Introduced a fourth slot in Boosted Proposals, increasing your chances of being noticed, while continuing to let clients see who is most interested in their job post.
  2. Adjusted the range for the cost of Connects per job to better match the demand for jobs in the Marketplace.

 

Check out the product release for Marketplace Updates: Boosted Proposals and Connects and let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

621 REPLIES 621


William T C wrote:

Josh,

 

What would you change on Upwork and why?


Someone shared an idea that if you don't hear anything from a client within a month, connects should be refunded. I agree. I also agree that if the client never returns to the platform after a month, connects should be refunded. Freelancers should be vetted more and have the ability to earn a status where they're put in front of clients more (right now, it's basically a boost - it's based on money, not skills). Lastly, clients shouldn't be able to create postings that lack critical information. 

 

If these things changed, there would be far fewer complains about fairness.

Not sure what's up with this other guy, but if he can't see the issues, then I don't know what to say. Everyone wants a better marketplace and I'm sure everyone wants Upwork to be profitable because it would benefit everyone. With that being said, all stakeholders should be taken into consideration when making drastic decisions such as essentially doubling the price per proposal. Again, if they simply charged for each job posting, it would make them additional revenue. We'd have better quality postings. We'd have more responsive clients. Most importantly, the long problem of fake job postings that have affected user experience, automatically gets solved. 

Jessa,

 

There are 4,000,000 active freelancers and 830,000 active clients on Upwork, therefore the minimum bid will in all probablity, need to go higher because clients are still getting TOO MANY proposals.

Where'd you get the stats regarding 800k active clients? How do you define active? If that includes fake clients that post fake  job postings, then that might be true. My point is simple, any increase in the amount paid for proposals should be fair to everyone. Upwork couldn't even regulate fake job postings. The claim that clients leave Upwork because they get spammed with proposals from non-qualified contractors is pure conjecture. For one, clients can make a job posting private and only invite certain individuals. Did it not occur to you that another reason that clients leave is because of a ton of fake job postings being made which makes their job posting go to the bottom of the pile? It always works both ways. Why penalize freelancers solely while fake clients are allowed to make job postings? Why penalize freelancers when clients with a verified payment method are allowed to make a ton of job postings for the same job and leave it open for a very long time with no activity? Clients have to have skin in the game for them to put more effort in revisiting their job posting. 

Jessa,

 

Those numbers come from Upwork's quarterly shareholder meetings.

 

Please use two Skills in the Title, use four compelling paragraphs for the Summary, use all 15 Skills, add your Portfolio, and add a Project Catalog. Consider reducing the $20 per hour rate; it's too high in relationship to your competition on Upwork.

 

Upskill to in-demand Skills to be considered for more Jobs.

Seriously, I wasn't asking for any unsolicited advice from you. I'm an agency owner with over 500k hours, so I have my own methods. 800k active clients is something I highly doubt. Again, we don't know how 'active' was defined.

 

Based on how you've across here, is it safe to say you don't think freelancers getting a refund in part or in full for proposals to clients that are non-active should be refunded? Correct? You are not looking for any added value for an increase in the price of sending proposals, correct? 

Jessa,

 

Freelancers should only apply for Jobs that are an EXACT match for their Profile so they can become an Best Match on the client side. Apply for Jobs where the clients has a high hire ratio.

 

For a variety of reasons, about 50% of the Jobs are filled.

 

There are too many freelancers in relationship to clients on this site, therefore if anything, the price of connects needs to continue to move higher so clients are not overwhelmed with proposals.


William T C wrote:

There are too many freelancers in relationship to clients on this site, therefore if anything, the price of connects needs to continue to move higher so clients are not overwhelmed with proposals.


It brings me joy that a majority of the community completely disagrees with you. What brings me more joy is that they bring sound wisdom and reasoning for why what Upwork has done isn't ok and doesn't work. The fact of the matter is, the last thing Upwork needs to do is raise the number of proposal connects. Full stop. You should be joyful that Upwork doesn't have a downvote option. I imagine that wouldn't look great for you. 😆

Freelancers definitely need to pay more attention to the Invites they get, Jessa. Over the years, I have received invitations from many fabulous clients. Fortunately, many of them have turned out to be long-term business relationships. 

Raj.K.Ashok

Josh,

 

It is not necessary to Boost a Job Post - REPEAT it is not necessary to Boost a Job Post. Use the mimumum.

 

Only apply for Jobs that your Upwork Profile matches the Job request to have a higher chance of being a Best Match which stands out to the Client.

 

Your Upwork Profile isn't setup properly, therefore you are going to get less interactions.


William T C wrote:

Josh,

 

It is not necessary to Boost a Job Post - REPEAT it is not necessary to Boost a Job Post. Use the mimumum.


You asked what I would change and I gave you my take.

 

I do use the minimum. I would never boost.

 


William T C wrote:

Only apply for Jobs that your Upwork Profile matches the Job request to have a higher chance of being a Best Match which stands out to the Client.


Please review my Upwork profile again because I only specialize in SEO and I only apply for SEO-focused jobs. Even within the SEO specialization, I only focus on on-page SEO, technical SEO, and other SEO projects that touch on content. 

 

It's challenging to find jobs even worth applying to, and I'm someone who has several saved searches with fine-tuned criteria. Thankfully my main income isn't derived from Upwork or I'd be broke, truly. 

 

My profile isn't set up (yes, it's set up, not "setup") correctly? Wait, let me guess: You could set up my profile for $2k? Does it come with your grammar too? 😆 😆

Josh,

 

Obviously you are new to the Community. I have helped several thousand freelancers in these posts with their Profiles.

 

Please use two Skills in the Title and four compelling paragraphs for the Summary with keen attention to the first sentence since it appears in the Client search.

 

In addition, click the Academy link on the top of this page for success TIPS.


William T C wrote:

Josh,

 

Obviously you are new to the Community. I have helped several thousand freelancers in these posts with their Profiles.


Be that as it may, I can detect nonsense with the best of them. 

 

Let me guess, you charged $2k to help others with their profiles, correct?

 


William T C wrote:

Please use two Skills in the Title and four compelling paragraphs for the Summary with keen attention to the first sentence since it appears in the Client search.

 

In addition, click the Academy link on the top of this page for success TIPS.


I'd rather my clients not have to wear boots when walking through my profile. I get straight to the point. Truthfully, most of my business comes outside of Upwork. My Google Business Profile is pretty stellar and I've built a solid SEO career. My pitch is pretty awesome too. 


William T C wrote:

Please use two Skills in the Title and four compelling paragraphs for the Summary with keen attention to the first sentence since it appears in the Client search.

 

In addition, click the Academy link on the top of this page for success TIPS.


I've reported several of your portfolio items. I earnestly hope they're removed as they aren't part of a portfolio in the slightest.

 

I also screenshotted this for you:

jgellock_0-1693599012628.png

 

A portfolio isn't a place where you try to pitch people for services. There's a whole section for projects. A portfolio is where you show off work you've completed.

 

Maybe you should visit the academy for TIPS? 🤔

Upwork charges $4.95 per job posting? That can't be correct. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any fake job postings nor would we see clients that have posted 700+ jobs while only having a total spend of $10K.

I hope Upwork will seriously consider charging clients for each job post, Jessa. Ideally, they could start with prorata pricing to match the number of connects that each freelancer would need to spend for applying to their project. I have gone through all your posts on this thread carefully. You make valid points. You understand the whole system exceptionally well. 

Raj.K.Ashok

The scammers don't hire or if they do, it's for very little.

The return is huge. One scam job will draw hundreds (because Upwork hides the real number and only goes to 50+), and for all we know, it could be thousands. Let's say it is 50. If even half of those 50, pay the scammer $50, that $4.95 is a bargain. So, of course the scammers will pay a pittance, knowing there are millions of freelancers here who don't know and don't follow the rules.

I think you missed the point. My guess is that at least 95% of the scam jobs posted are from unverified clients. By charging for every job post, it would be safe to say there would be far less fake job postings. I am not discounting the possibility of scammers using a fake credit card to be able to make fake job postings, but that is where Upwork's Trust and Safety team comes in. They just have to do their jobs and from the looks of it, they aren't really doing well considering how they leave it to freelancers to flag those job postings before taking action. So again the question is, what added value are freelancers getting for the price increase? I say there is none.

No. Upwork does not charge for POSTing a job. They charge the job-lister $4.95 after a person is HIRED for the job—I believe at the same time as they take the first payment to the freelancer.

 

So in other words, just as you suspect—scammers and spammers can post as many times as they want—as long as they don't hire, they NEVER get charged.

jgellock
Community Member


Kelly E wrote:

No. Upwork does not charge for POSTing a job. They charge the job-lister $4.95 after a person is HIRED for the job—I believe at the same time as they take the first payment to the freelancer.

 

So in other words, just as you suspect—scammers and spammers can post as many times as they want—as long as they don't hire, they NEVER get charged.


Yeah, this is a reality William doesn't want to face. Thank you for calling it out.

Josh,

 

Reread my post.

I didn't know Upwork charged clients for Job Posts, William.

Raj.K.Ashok

They don't.

 

They charge once a freelancer has been HIRED. No hire, no charge.

They do once a freelancer is hired.


Jessa Lou M wrote:

To be fair to everyone, since they increased the connects needed to apply for jobs, there should be a refund policy if a client doesn't hire within a month. 


This. Yes. 🙌


William T C wrote:

Danill,

 

Consider only applying for Jobs that meet your approval and the issue is solved. Right?


Wrong. There are very few clients who respond, even for jobs where you're well-qualified for a job. Not to mention the amount of jobs where there's little information to go on. Upwork doesn't even explain how they assign a connect amount to a job.

712e590b
Community Member

Seems like a giant pyramid where Upwork allows the scammers to generate money for the platform in the form of payments for connects from freelancers. 

gingerliu
Community Member

The big change in Upwork has put me off. If it wasn't enough for them to take a % of your work, now we have to pay every time we apply for work, 16 connects, etc. I ran up a bill for this last month with nothing to show for it. Now I hardly apply for anything.

Upwork is a business. All platforms charge. You expect to make money and give nothing to the platform that gave you access to the job? Yes, you have to pay to apply, in freelancing. If your return is poor, you are wise to not apply to jobs that aren't getting you anywhere.

 

No offense, but I would change your profile photo. It is not professional, and a bit off-putting. Just have a normal face shot. Use the link at the top of the page to learn about using the platform. Take some courses outside of Upwork to learn about vetting clients. If there are no jobs to apply to, then you need to look elsewhere. However, no matter where you go in freelancing, you have to pay your way.

Being a 'business' does not mean exploiting the people who make the money for you. This platform is like every other investment-funded digital space - they run on massive losses for a years, backed with investors money, lure in a large crowd, then start to slowly raise the prices. It's disingenous, unfair and deceitful. And trust me, if you don't rely on these type of platforms to freelance, you do not have to "pay your way" and unnecessarily give money to companies that are happy to rip you off.

Everyone has to decide how to run their business, just as Upwork decides how to run their business.

 

If you have found magic platforms, where there are no fees, then you should go for it. It's gonna be a little lonely, since those platforms don't exist. And yes, in the physical world, no one pays me to apply or contact clients. If you want to be paid for showing up, then you need an employer who will make sure you do the work, and pay you.

 

Yes, everything you do as a freelancer costs. It's one of the reason a lot of people won't or can't freelance. Every time you contact a client, there is an expense, whether on a platform or in the physical world.

 

The clients are the customers; the freelancers are the nameless cogs in the wheel, all the same to Upwork.

 

If your ROI is poor, then why are you still using the platform? You say it is unfair and deceitful, and yet here you are, on the platform. Why are you using such a horrible platform that is cheating you? This makes no sense.

This has to be one of the most arrogant replies I've read so far. This thread is under feedback, thus freelancers giving feedback. It isn't as simple as leaving if you don't like it. I've made Upwork 50x more on commissions than you, and even I am bothered with the direction Upwork is heading. 

Of course every business can run how it plesaes - and workers have a right to push back and call out unfair practises. Just because a 'business' says x and x, it doesn't make it fair or correct. Even you must agree with that, surely? Or are you happy and willing to accept anything?

 

Relying purely on platforms will eventually see freelancers end up cornered, just like on Upwork. You don't need 'magical' spaces, but to work directly with clients. That can be done in several ways. It isn't easy to achieve, but it is possible - and cerainly more viable and sustinable than hanging around on hollow, investment-backed platforms waiting to be ripped off. Yes, there are other more mangeable costs associated with freelancing - phone bills. tools, internet, sometimes travel costs etc. - but you'll notice this list does not include rip off fees and costs to a company that views freelancers purely as a money-maling opportunity.

 

I have not used this platform in months, and only sporadically come on here to check up on old info/possible updates from old clients. So yes, I am here on Upwork, responding to you, calling out nonsense, but certainly not handing over money to Upwork for it to disappear into a black hole. That's the trick they are playing on way too many freelancers and hopefully more are seeing that it's a waste of their time.

 

Platforms like Upwork did provide a space for me to build my porforlio and establish myself as a freelancer. But I have always been ready to use them in the same way they use me - as a commodity. That means ditching them when they start to further encroach on my earnings and affect even more of my income. The setup here has never been fair, but until this year it has been tolerable. That is not longer the case - as this and other threads overwhelmingly reveal. People are not complaining for the fun of it.

 

 

barry_pat
Community Member

If this platform "is like every other investment-funded digital space -
they run on massive losses for years, backed with investors' money, lure in
a large crowd, then start to slowly raise the prices," then you shouldn't
be surprised that this is happening here.

Upwork is running their business as they see fit and we are free to partake
of their services at the cost they charge, or we can leave.

Whining about it isn't going to change anything. This platform is working
well for a lot of people (including me). And Upwork will run it in a way
that works well for them. If there's common ground there, good. If not,
I'll do something different.
glen-s
Community Member

Did you read the word 'surprise' in my comment or is inventing that angle the only way you can respond? Just because you expect something or someone to act in a certain way, it doesn't mean you remain quiet. Well, parhaps you do, but that's not a trait many would be proud of.

 

As for the rest of your 'statement' you've managed to state the absolute obvious whilst also saying nothing at all - which is quite impressive.

ivanelortkipani
Community Member

If one day all freelancers collectively turned off their availability badges, stopped using boosting, and migrated to a new platform, what would happen? Would Upwork continue adding more paid badges? If Upwork truly wants to assist freelancers, it should consider ceasing the addition of new badges. We are inundated with new features, and rather than focusing on our skills and completing projects, we are constantly searching for ways to succeed on Upwork and updating our profiles, often with minimal results. Whenever we inquire about this issue with Upwork, the response typically cites the influx of new freelancers and low demand in our niche.

We would all have AN EQUAL SHAKE at getting jobs on our skills, not our bids!

Then the wann-be will go out of business ----or over to 5vR

4f83e7df
Community Member

What are the talent badges such as < Top-rated plus >, and < Top-rated >.. for?
They are all useless.
Skills, experience, or any proven track are all useless.
The utmost one is CONNECTION or MONEY to buy CONNECTION, CONNECTION.
Even if you are a pumpkin or a newbie in your field and don't have any skills for any projects here, you beat anyone with pro badges and great specs.
This is the way Upwork works....
I have many friends who have been royal users here for a long time with great badges and they led me to start my work here.
One of them said that he spent over $6k for connection these days.
But they all have the same thoughts and are losing chances more and more, day by day.
Please share your thoughts, folks !

What do you think of this?

Just curious, what do you do?

 

You should make your profile public. I don't think anyone can see it, I can't see it.

 

My view on connects is that people aren't idiots. That's why I never boost. You can boost all you want, but if you can't do the job, it doesn't matter. Somebody is not going to hire someone, because they're at the top of the list and if they make that mistake they'll probably never do it again.

 

I highly doubt the person that spends the most on connects is winning the job every time. Unless that person is also highly skilled.

You simply said it all. I wonder why anyone would boost, it really amazes me. Clients are given the freedom to choose whoever they want, therefore you boosting, is like gambling because you could be the best for the job, but the client doesn't want to hire you for choice, it's just like that. Send your proposals normally and express yourself well and move on, no need boosting, that's exactly how i do.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths