🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Can't apply to jobs, says phone number is...
Page options
c96f18ce
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I am having a similar issue. I am setting up a personal freelancer account and I need a phone number to proceed with the final step but my phone number is also being used for a client account which I need. Could someone advise please.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,489 REPLIES 1,489
bfaf8adf
Community Member

I'm unable to remove a phone number from an account I no longer have access to.

In trying to contact support about this, I've been unable to do so. The chatbot keeps sending me in a loop to visit the Academy or this Community page, so I can't contact support in order to verify my account even though it's what I need to do.

All I want to do is get my account verified and have the phone number removed from the old account, and right now it's impossible to do so.

Good luck with that.  I have flagged a message for Upwork review, created a support ticket, reached out on social media accounts, posted a message on this forum and still no response from Upwork support accross the board.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Zachary,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. I'm sorry if you're having difficulties getting in contact with our support team for assistance. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with more information and to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e996413d
Community Member

Hi, 

I need help on this issue. thanks! 

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Neil,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e996413d
Community Member

Thanks! 

b86cac67
Community Member

Hi!

I'm trying to create an account and when I need to verify my phone number, I receive the following message: This number is being used by another account

I may have had an account awhile back but not able to recall it. 

Can someone from Upwork please assist? I don't know where or how to create a support ticket either.

Thanks

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Daniel,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. I'm sorry you're having difficulties getting in contact with our support team for assistance with your phone verification concerns. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
7f5be469
Community Member

Hi,

Ive recently closed an account which had my phone number im trying to use on but now when i try to verify it im getting a "You attempted to change your PIN too many times." error. Please can someone point me in the right direction to get this sorted please.

Cheers,

Rhys

Hi Rhys,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork

Yes please, I've been struggling to open a support ticket to create one would you mind providing the place to do so. The chatbot has had me going round in circles

Hi Rhys,

Pradeep has already created a ticket for you. You can access your ticket here. As soon as the next available agents gets your ticket in their queue, they'll contact you to assist you further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
mecciastephanie
Community Member

Hi,

I am having multiple errors. I can no longer log in because my account is closed. I have another community post that talks about an error I received with my phone number. I cannot use Upwork at all! My phone number was verified through 2-factor so why am I having this issue over and over again? Now, my account is closed. I've talked to the chat bot and it won't redirect me to a support ticket. Please help! 

Hi Stephanie,

I'm sorry you're having difficulties getting in contact with our support team for assistance. I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
57eb8a00
Community Member

Hello, when completing my profile it says my phone number is in use, but this should be my only account. I need help regarding this issue. I am not able to apply to jobs until phone # is verified.

Hi Kennedy,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello, I need assistance with placing a ticket regarding verifying my account. when I try to verify my phone number it says that it is already in use but this is my only account. This phone # problem is forbidding me to apply for jobs. Pls reach back out to assist me with this issue.

Hi Kennedy,

I'm sorry you're having trouble verifying your phone number. I see that a ticket has already been escalated for you. A customer support team member responded to your ticket with more information on what to do next. You should be able to access your ticket via this link

~ Luiggi
Upwork
57eb8a00
Community Member

Hello, i do apologize for the recurring message, when completing my profile it says my phone number is in use, but this should be my only account. I need help regarding this issue. I am not able to apply to jobs until phone # is verified.

i placed a ticket for this issue already and someone did reach out but i didn't see it until yesterday. They asked me to provide my phone it was no where for me to respond back, the ticket also says solved but my issue still stands. Please reach out to me again i would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Kennedy, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. You should be able to respond to the ticket. Could you please try again to respond to your ticket and let me know if you experience any issues? You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
57eb8a00
Community Member

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, it's still not letting me respond to the ticket.

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kennedy,

Could you please confirm if you've received an email about this ticket to your registered email address? You should be able to reply to that email and that should update the ticket. Please let us know if that helps.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello, this is my 4th request with no answer. I need help urgently getting my phone # verified, it says that my phone # is linked to another account but this is my only Upwork. Please assist me with this matter i am unable to apply for jobs until this is resolved. if u need to reach me directly my phone # is**Edited for Community Guidelines**or email **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Thank you and hope to hear from someone soon.

1af2952d
Community Member

Hi, I keep getting that my phone number is already in use and cannot figure out how to contact support. SOS. Thanks

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jordan,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. I'm sorry you're having difficulties getting your phone number verified. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5a628835
Community Member

Please see ticket #45670343, which is not yet resolved. I am still receiving an error message that my phone number is already in use. My phone number is **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you for your help!

LeeAnn

Hi! Following up for status; still can't apply to jobs because I'm unable to receive the text at the start of the process (I removed my phone # per community guidelines):

5a628835_0-1708808494047.png

Please help. Thank you, 

LeeAnn

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi LeeAnn,

I see that the team has responded to the ticket you raised with more information and instructions for resolving the issue. I've shared your post with the team handling the review to give your case the attention it deserves. Please visit the ticket linked to your case here or your email for updates and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
bdfee86e
Community Member

At this point im sick of this service.

Ive used upwork for a long time and started to freelance and now it says when i apply for a listing i need to verify my phone. But i put my phone in and then it tells me its already connected to another account. When its connected to my account??? I dont understand its only on 1 account and wont send me an email. Well i tried to fix it and now it says i tried to change my pin to many times.

I looked for almost 30 mins trying to find a support ticket but of course everything goes through a stupid ai chatbot so i get no help and no support ticket so i have no clue how to get help which is why im posting this. 

Can i get any support??? Thanks in adance for any solution or help.

Hi Mike,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while verifying your phone number and reaching our support team. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
ec6f11a0
Community Member

Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support.

I also am having issues using my phone number, says it's already in use. The chatbot was extremely unhelpful.

Damion, I'm very sorry to hear this is happening to you as well and that you had trouble with the chatbot. I've also escalated your post so that one of our agents can assist you directly via a support ticket

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Alexander,

I'm sorry about the delay in getting back to you regarding this. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a0a01ea1
Community Member

I cannot login or create my account, because it's saying my phone number is in use. I no longer have access to this old company that was eliminated. Can someone please help me get verified (accept my number)?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Spencer,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
bd934e9b
Community Member

Title says it all. I can't find a single place to actually submit a ticket or chat with a human. Every time I click on the necessary information in the chat bubble it just sends me back to help articles.

Hi Joshua,

I'm sorry you're having trouble contacting support about this. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a981c439
Community Member

Please help me I am trying to verify my Phone and it says pin use too many times.please help

0cf99359
Community Member

Hello, I recently set up an account, without realizing I had previously made an account years ago. Due to this, I am not able to add my phone number and complete my new account to begin working. Is there a way to fix this? I don't need that account that the number is currently attached to, as I have gone through a name change and made a new email since creating that account.

(I've already tried using the chatbot, it doesn't understand what I need)

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths