🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add local bank account
Page options
8d5c5032
Community Member

Unable to add local bank account

Hi,

I am a freelancer from Canada. I can't enter my local bank information to get paid. When I try to enter the institution number and transit number, it didn't gave me the option to go to next page. I checked my bank information for many times, and I am pretty sure everything is right! Please help me to set-up my payment detail. 

Thanks,

Ruiyu

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gulnihal,

We’ve designed the process of Adding a Direct to Local Bank payment method to be as straightforward as possible. To add your bank account: 

1. Go to Settings  Get Paid
  2. Click Add Method
  3. Click the Set Up button for your chosen method
  4. Enter your bank account details, including bank codes
  5. Choose a payment schedule and click Next

Important things to know:

• For security reasons, your new payment method will become active in three days.
  • Check that the name on your bank account matches your verified name on Upwork. If your payment method was flagged for a name mismatch, please contact support to resolve the issue or add a new payment method.
  • You should also contact your bank if you're not sure you have the correct information, or if you received an error when you tried to enter it into our system.
  • Upwork charges $0.99 per Direct to Local Bank withdrawal. Any additional restrictions, timing regulations, and fees vary depending on your bank.
  • Be sure that you enter your bank information, including bank codes, correctly. We want you to get your money on schedule and any errors could result in a failed transfer or delay. If you've exceeded the character limit on the Name on Account field, please contact your bank to get an appropriate abbreviation.
    • Since some banks aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case, you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the bank code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

650 REPLIES 650
ac937543
Community Member

Dear Support Team,

I am writing to inquire about the status of my local bank payment. I checked today and saw that it is inactive. I am wondering why it is inactive and why it has not been approved.

I would appreciate it if you could please update me on the status of my payment and let me know what steps I need to take to get it approved.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Rizwan

Hi Muhammad,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
cfdc9621
Community Member

I am from India. when I try to add the payment method. when I enter the IFSC code of my bank account it does not identify the bank and says that the code is incorrect. I tried entering two popular bank codes but didn't work.

Hi Raja Niketh Reddy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. When your IFSC is not recognized, an option where a link says to add your branch manually should appear.

You can use that option or link to just add your bank account details manually. As long as the bank details are correct, you will still be able to receive your funds correctly. 

Please see the screenshots:

759e32fa_0-1697285838064.png

759e32fa_1-1697285838174.png

Your bank's IFSC is typically found in your checkbook, or through the RBI website. If it still does not work we highly recommend contacting your bank.

If you would like to know more information about getting paid here on Upwork, you may read these articles: 
Bank Codes
Manage How You Get Paid

~ AJ
Upwork
dde7a99c
Community Member

Hello, 

I am adding my ıban number but it gives this response: "Invalid IBAN number. IBAN is different than account number and may vary by country." How can we fix this?

Sincerely,

Utku

Hi Utku,

Thank you for reaching out to us. With regards to your IBAN, If the error is invalid, we suggest contacting the bank directly to confirm the IBAN number that you have as well as the format to ensure that the details you enter are correct.

~ AJ
Upwork
Community Member

I am unable to add my local back to get paid method.

My IFSC: PYTM0123456

this is paytm payments bank .

please add this to your database

I have also tried manual method. but same problem

please add ASAP

Hi Chintha,

Thank you for reaching out to us. When your IFSC is not recognized, an option where a link says to add your branch manually should appear.

You can use that option or link to just add your bank account details manually. As long as the bank details are correct, you will still be able to receive your funds correctly. 

Please see the screenshots:

759e32fa_0-1697542960047.png

759e32fa_1-1697542960052.png

Your bank's IFSC is typically found in your checkbook, or through the RBI website. If it still does not work we highly recommend contacting your bank.

If you would like to know more information about getting paid here on Upwork, you may read these articles: 
Bank Codes
Manage How You Get Paid

~ AJ
Upwork

thank you

05fc18ea
Community Member

Hello. 

I'm from Turkey and I'm new to Upwork. I tried to set up "Get Paid" section in the settings on my profile but it says "Swift to this local bank is not availbale". I tried different Turkish banks but it shows the same error message. Could you please help me with the problem ?

Thanks.

Hi Cansin,

Please try clearing your browser's cookies or using a different browser. After that, please try adding your bank's Swift code again and see if that works. You can check this help article for reference. If the issue persists, please don't hesitate to come back here. We'd be happy to assist you further in resolving this as soon as possible. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
05fc18ea
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

Okay, I will try it and turn back here if it doesn't work.  Thanks.

05fc18ea
Community Member

Hello Joanne, 

I tried several local bank's swift code directly together with your advises but anyway it says not possible to be paid to any local bank. Then, I opened a Payoneer account with my local bank account via "Get Paid" section on Upwork  and my payoneer account is verified by payoneer administrators. And my payoneer account is added successfully on my Upwork account at the moment. However, on my Upwork account, my payoneer account is still shown as "inactive"

When will it get active here on my Upwork account  ?

Do I have to enter my personal Tax ID and tax information to make it active ? Could you please help me with my enquiry ?

Second thing : Actually, I don't want to pay extra fees to payoneer and I want to get paid directly to my local bank account. Why I'm not able to add any local bank account from Turkey directly ? Any swift code is not accepted from banks in Turkey. Could you please help with that, too ?

Thank you very much for your help

Hi Cansin,

I can see that you were able to add your Payoneer account as a payment method to your account. However, you still need to complete your Tax Information to activate your newly added payment method.

You may proceed by going to Settings> Tax Information. Let us know if you need further assistance, and we'll investigate that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
05fc18ea
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

I added my tax ID and now my payoneer earning withdrawal method is active. Thank you very much. 

However, I have one more question which is important : In my country, in Turkey or in any other country, I don't have any company open. I mean I don't have an individual company or limited company or corporation which belongs to me. Or I'm not a shareholder in any company anywhere at the moment. And I got my 10 digit POTENTIAL Tax ID from our Turkish official governmental tax office website and I entered it to my Upwork Tax ID section and submitted with my signature. I hope, it is okay and this is not a problem ?

Second thing : Do I have to enter VAT ID ? Or do I have to enter VAT ID to withdraw my earnings from Upwork ? Actually, we do not have VAT ID system in Turkey.

Thank you very much for you help.

Thank you for your response Cansin,

That's totally fine, you can complete your W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E as an individual tax filer instead of an entity. Just ensure that you have a tax address on file first. Please remember that you’ll need to complete three cards in the Tax Information section of your settings. The last section is where you'll provide your Tax identification number. This is the number you use for reporting taxes in your country and may be referred to by a different name, such as a PAN number in India, for example. Some countries may also use a National ID number.

For Turkey's VAT for freelancers, your country requires Upwork to collect value-added tax, or VAT, and remit the tax to the government of Turkey if we do not have a valid VAT ID on file for you. VAT is a tax on goods or services, including our services to you, and remit means to send money for a payment.

~ Arjay
Upwork
05fc18ea
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

Thank you very much. So, I don't own an individual company in my country or in any other country. 

I just opened a payoneer account on Upwork and I chose "Individual" option while opening this payoneer account. Then, I entered my potential tax ID  to Upwork which is provided by our government. And also, for the Tax ID section on Upwork, I selected "Individual" option. I completed and submitted other sections inside "Upwork Tax Information" like my registered residence address in Turkey and I chose Individaual" option for taxes. As I see there is no problem with all of those. If you see any problem on my Upwork account especially regarding my "Tax Information" part and if you can report me, I will be grateful.

By the way, I forgot to ask one last thing : On our official governmental tax office website, my potential Tax ID which I entered to Upwork is shown as "inactive" because I don't own any company and because I never used my potential tax ID before. I hope this is also not a problem ?

Thank you very much for your help.

daviduppies
Community Member

I made a withdrawal earlier today. 

As expected, I got a payment has been processed mail, but still yet to receive payment. I made use of the direct to local bank option. I have noticed that there has been recent delays using this option lately. What could the problem be? Would appreciate the response of a moderator as soon as possible. 

Thanks.

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and can confirm the transaction you're referring to was successful on our end. Direct to local bank transfers may take up to 4 business days before the funds are reflected in your account. Holidays in the US and in your location can also delay the process.

Please let us know if after 8 business days the funds are still not reflected in your account so we can initiate a trace for you. Feel free to check this help article for more information.

~ Nikola
Upwork
anjcaracas
Community Member

Hi,

I just like to ask how to resolve this issue, I can't seem to proceed with adding the method of Direct to the local bank, please see the screenshot for more details. 

Upwork local bank set up.jpg

Hi Angelyn,

Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies or use a different browser? You might also want to check this help article. If you still experience any issues with adding your payment method, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
688af684
Community Member

hello, i have a specific issue and there is no solution anywhere in the articles.

when I try to insert a payment withdrawal method, I get a message that the iban number doesn't match the swift number, even though I entered the address of my bank manually and I know *for sure* that all the info is correct. i tried everything and the chatbot is unhelpful. i need to speak with someone, please. how can I reach an agent?

thanks

Hi Noam,

Tell the chatbot "I need a human" it will ask you if you need further assistance, to which you'll answer "yes". This is how I get to open tickets about issues.

The chat bot get caught in a horrendous loop and will not allow me to open a ticket with someone.

I am trying to verify my phone number, but the system tells me to contact support. When I try to contact support I am unable. Unbelievably frustrating. I hope someone from Upwork can help.

Hi Patrick,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of hardly getting support from the team. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c1134773
Community Member

Thank you for that 🙂 

688af684
Community Member

hello. may i get the same attention on my post too? i need help. thanks

Yesterday (or the day before), the chat was out of order for at least a few hours.... but later on, I was able to ask for a human and open a ticket.

I've tried that several times, tried "agent assistance," "open a ticket," clicked I need more assistance, and just about everything else I can conceive of.

I do appreciate the suggestion and offer for help.

Well, as long as the bot is working, that trick works for me. The stupid bot knows what "human" means.

didn't work unfortunately. thank you anyway

Noam, I've just notified a Moderator to let him/her know you need help. Hope this will work.

Hello Noam,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
05f97fff
Community Member

I'm trying to add my Bank of Maharashtra  account to Upwork but Upwork doesn't identify my bank through IFSC Code. 

Please find the attachment 

Bank name :- Bank of Maharashtra

IFSC code:- MAHB0001823

Hello Zain,

Thank you for your message. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
1f48c3ee
Community Member

Hello, I am trying to add hdfc ifsc code to setup my withdrawl method. its not working what should I do?

Hi Sajiya,

You can enter your bank's information manually in order to be able to add it as a payment method. You may want to re-confirm the code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals. Please check out this help article for more information about the correct format of the IFSC codes.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
bebe3065
Community Member

Hi ,

I am facing the same issue. Upwork is unable to fetch my bank detalis via IFSC and even after putting details manually,  Upwork is tellng me- bank not found. How should I go about this? Please let me know. My local  bank is INDIAN BANK Please help me with the issue.

Hi Adarsh,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
9e57cd43
Community Member

Hi, I'm trying to insert Revolut UK or Starling UK sort codes but it says "Bank not found. Please check the Sort Code."

The Sort code is correct. Can you help me, please? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths