🐈
» Forums » Support » we couldn't charge the billing method you sel...
Page options
3e71d05b
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

i am not able to pay for jobs with my visa card from Ghana. The final confirm and pay button remains grey and doesnt allow for payment to be made.

any help?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

169 REPLIES 169
e3d2242b
Community Member

Hi, I have the same issue, how can i solve it?

Hi I have the same issue, can I please receive some help?

Hi Iulia, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team, and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

US banking is less advanced compared to the banking system in the EU. For instance, there's an issue with chip-enabled card payments. Such cards do not work on Upwork. When I traveled to the USA, I had to activate the magnetic stripe on my card. A Polish bank employee informed me that in the USA, chip-enabled ATM cards do not function as they do in Europe. I also had clients who could not add their payment cards for this reason. Perhaps activating the magnetic stripe on the card might help. I did this through the bank app.

Same problem faced today, Wise cards are being rejected

Hi Ilyas,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
83b1e96d
Community Member

Hello, I have tried paying via credit card (the same I used for the previous milestone) and via Paypal. Both of the payment methods do not work. My card payment is automatically refunded immediately. My payment methods are not blocked, they are active, and my other payments to other vendors are not declined. Definitely, there is something wrong with my Upwork account. Please activate my payment methods.

Hi Vincze,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
83b1e96d
Community Member

Hi, my issue was not solved, but the ticket is already closed. I still don't know why the same billing method which was accepted before is no longer accepted. Please reopen the ticket. 

df1f97d6
Community Member

Hi there,

Can anybody help me with payment issue? I chatted with support bot 3 times, fully described the issue, but he hadn't created a support ticket. That's really ridiculous. I don't have issues with payments on hundred websites. I filled correct card detailes, correct name, correct address, correct CVV. I filled my name and company name + address on Upwork. Tried several cards from several US banks. 

Contacted my bank and they told me that transaction was voided out by the merchant. UPWORK can anybody help me with this issue?

That's a very very strange that I don't have an opportunity to contact your customer support!

Hi Witold,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your payment method. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
726d97b5
Community Member

I'm trying to pay a contractor. I've tried via credit card and paypal with our bank. I continue to get error messages saying the payment failed or "we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one.".

I can see the charge hit my credit card and then its immediately reversed. I can't figure out how to open a ticket with support. Can someone please help me?

Hi Alison, 

I shared your report with our team, and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Same problem .

I also facing an error "Recent Charge Failed" or

"we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one.".

Please somebody help.

4f333afa
Community Member

I have been trying to pay my freelancer for work that has been agreed and Upwork is not accepting any kind of my payment methods. I have uploaded 4 different cards, and my paypal account and nothing is going through! All of which have money on them. Super frustrating as i'm on a tight deadline and have the freelancer avaialble for work but payment not going through.

Hello Sabrina,

I'm sorry to learn that you are having trouble with this, and I apologize for any frustration caused. It appears that you've closed your Upwork account; could you please confirm if you still need assistance? 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
39285dd8
Community Member

Hello
I have to pay my bills to my local freelance **Edited for Community Guidelines** which invite me to Upwork. So I create account on upwork when I add my payoneer card. it shows billing method not active. Now a week is gone but my problem is not resolved. I tried to to remove and add it again. My freelancer insisted me to contact upwork support. Please resolve my problem. Thanks

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to learn you're having trouble with your billing method. I see that you've recently raised a support ticket regarding your concern. As soon as the next available agent gets your ticket in their queue, they'll contact you to assist you further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
bfdf7a79
Community Member

FIRST I NEED TO STATE THIS IS **Edited for Community Guidelines**!!! i cant easily find a way to create a **Edited for Community Guidelines** ticket.

i wanna hire two individuals here and it first took my money but it told the first guy something is wrong with my account. "this client account is temporarily on hold "

i don't know where to go cause it so hard to get create a new ticket cause u want us to **Edited for Community Guidelines**GO THROUGH COMMUNITY **Edited for Community Guidelines**THAT WAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY **Edited for Community Guidelines** SITUATION!!! i need access and clean access to getting someone from upwork to checkout my account and fix whats stopping me from hiring !!!!

Hi Yaemi,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
7477e70c
Community Member

Hey Upwork, you know the issue I had related to the Credit Card not going through.

All I'm asking is for an official email saying the credit card didn't go through and the payment was not made.

Can you please give that to me

Hi There,

I see that you've reached out to our support team and raised a support ticket about your billing concerns. Please allow our team 24-48 hours and you will get an update on the status of your case here once your case is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e19579f6
Community Member

Hi all, 

I'm trying to pay to freelancer, I've tried all payment methods but nothing works 

Hi Valantica,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
7815fe72
Community Member

I recently joined the Upwork to hire for a project but Upwork don't allow to add payment method and show this messgage . Screenshot attached.

Strange, that should not have happened

Hi Carl,

Could you please try again after clearing your cache and cookies or using a different browser? If the issue persists, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
rubyalmario
Community Member

Unable to setup PayPal

I received this error:

We are sorry but we cannot setup PayPal as your payment method because it is not verified. Please verify your PayPal account or add a payment card.

According to the instructions provided by UpWork:

In order to add a PayPal Account:

• Your PayPal account must be verified, active, and in good standing (checked)
  • You must have an active Billing Agreement with Upwork — this billing agreement is signed as part of the add PayPal flow on Upwork (???)
  • Your PayPal account must not be a student account (checked)
  • Your PayPal account must be set up with a primary and back-up payment method (No such options in PayPal to set up with primary and back-up payment methods; the only option is to setup a credit card or bank as an account preferred method which I did).

I already checked my PayPal account and verified and confirmed the bank details but it's still giving me the same error in Upwork when selecting Paypal as billing payment method. .

Please help

rubyalmario_0-1717655469570.png

Hi Ruby,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I see that you tried adding your PayPal account as your billing method, but you received an error saying that your PayPal account is not verified. I will be happy to help.

If you see a gold emblem indicating that your PayPal account is "PayPal Verified" you may try adding it as a billing method again. Here is a screenshot for reference. However, before doing so, I recommend clearing your cache and cookies first or using a different browser. You may want to check this helpful article about adding PayPal for more information. 

If you do not see the "PayPal Verified" badge, I encourage you to reach out to PayPal support for further assistance.

~Ivy
Upwork
21945ff6
Community Member

Hi Team Upwork,

I was hire a freelancer and he sent me a contract, after payment were made my card being charged but the contract still under pending. Please kindly assist me on this isseus. Thank you.

Hi Ng C,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing with your contract status after making payment. I checked the payment you are referring to and can confirm that your transaction was declined. Due to this, the contract was not created. If you are already charged, you can reach out to the card issuing bank for further clarification. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
3fb21a49
Community Member

I can’t pay for a freelancer’s work with my card, I keep getting the error “Sorry, we couldn’t charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.”  I am entering all the data correctly. In the payment field, a fee is charged from my card, but after a short period of time the money is returned, I contacted the bank, they said that the problem is on your side. The service withdraws money but then returns it.

Hi Sergiy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
328bb633
Community Member

no matter the payment method, it fails. I already tried paypal and 2 different cards, but nothing.
I cant talk to support and the bank says its all good on their hand. 
Is this the upwork average experience?

Hi Federico,

I'm sorry for any frustration this may have caused you. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
c9c64230
Community Member

I tried everything I possibly could and troubleshooted every possibly but still no solution.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Lebo,

I will be happy to help. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork

I'm having the same problem. AMEX credit card was approved for a milestone payment. When I closed out the contract I added a bonus and it was decline. Called AMEX and they confirmed that they are approving the transaction, but Upwork is reversing the charge. Why is this happening? The problem is not with my credit card.

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry to learn you are having trouble with your billing method. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ffe9c6c2
Community Member

Hello Dear I can't hire freelancer , I got below error Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support. Although , My card is under my name and everything is ok Please help me and let me know what should i do to fix the problem?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths