🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » Daily Quota
Page options
whitpaperfactory
Community Member

Daily Quota

I have a question for successful writers on Upwork. Do you set yourself a daily goal for how many jobs to apply to on Upwork? If so, what do you think is reasonable, 5, 10, 20? I have an income goal of 4,000 USD per month. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Robert Reuben W wrote:

I have a question for successful writers on Upwork. Do you set yourself a daily goal for how many jobs to apply to on Upwork? If so, what do you think is reasonable, 5, 10, 20? I have an income goal of 4,000 USD per month. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

@Robert Reuben W wrote:

You sure you mastered the basics of upwork yet? You have 60 free connects per billing cycle (month), with most jobs requiring 2 for a proposal. That means 1 proposal a day on average. 

20 a day is possible, but then you have another 10 left for the rest of the billing cycle and the very high risk you will be bumped off the platform for never winning any jobs....

Im not sure I have mastered the basics, thats why Im asking questions. Im not sure you answered it yet. Again do you set yourself a daily or weekly goal for applications? Perhaps Im not understanding your answer. Perhaps you can clarify.

Robert Reuben W wrote:

Im not sure I have mastered the basics, thats why Im asking questions. Im not sure you answered it yet. Again do you set yourself a daily or weekly goal for applications? Perhaps Im not understanding your answer. Perhaps you can clarify.

Robert, it would be a big mistake to set a numerical goal for bidding. The way to bid successfully is to identify and bid on the jobs that are a great fit for you--not just jobs you're capable of performing, but jobs that you can for some specific reason do BETTER than the average writer. 

Some days, there will not be any of those jobs in your feed. Other days, there may be two,or three, or even five. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have an income goal of 4,000 USD per month."

You don't earn any money by applying to jobs.

You earn money by working.

Although I'm sure there are exceptions, in general the most successful Upwork freelancers (financially speaking) do not apply to many jobs. They spend their time working on long-term contracts that require a lot of work or hours, and they work mainly for repeat-business clients and clients who send them invites.

Right applying doesnt make you money. However you cant make the money unless you land the jobs, which requires applying. Is my question unclear? 

mystudiomke
Community Member

I am no writer nor do I consider myself successful on this platform as I only been on here for a little over a year.

However, I did have the same 4k goal at the beginning of the year. Even though that was my goal, my average is 6k +/- pre-tax. To answer your question, I apply to about 5+/- jobs per week. I receive about 2-3 invitations per week. Most of my work comes from repeat clients. Preston is right, in my case those are the client-relationship I spent most of my time building.

Also, I learned that is not about how many proposals or clients I had in one month. It was learning to know my worth. Once I upped my hourly rate, I was able to meet my goal + sum.

Hope that helps,

Lila

Thank you so much. That was the type of answer I was asking for.

There's no way to predict whether each day will bring a qualified candidate to the platform, so setting a daily quota would require you to apply to unsuitable jobs on some days. To succeed, your focus should be on only targeting those jobs for which you are the best match. If there are none in a week, then you don't apply that week. 

Thank you.

Basically am new on this platform but community; your suggestions helping me a lot

Thanks a lot

jr-translation
Community Member

@Robert Reuben W wrote:

I am not a writer but a translator. I have defined a weekly goal for me, which I then use to calculate my rates. I have no daily goal for how many jobs I apply because I only apply when something really jumps at me and I also have a lot of clients outside UW. You have to establish yourself first which includes a high JSS. Once you are top-rated you can work on regular clients and regular income.

Robert,

I am primarily a management consultant, but I also do some ghost-writing. My daily quota is 100% of the jobs that appear interesting, with clients who appear to live on earth instead of in the asteroid belt, and who don't ask for a Nobel Prize Winner for three cents a day.

That means that in an average month I submit perhaps two responses.

tlsanders
Community Member

Robert Reuben W wrote:

I haven't been bidding on jobs lately, but when I did, I bid on 5-10 per MONTH. The same is true for many other successful Upwork writers I know. 

If you bid on as many jobs as you say here, you'll likely be suspended within your first month.