🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Freelancing during the coronavirus pandem...
Page options
petra_r
Community Member

Coronavirus

So, today this happens.

not so funny.jpg

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We understand this topic is still ongoing and affecting our Community members. Please, feel free to start a new thread to continue discussing the latest news around the pandemic.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

825 REPLIES 825

Petra R wrote:

Good morning. We now have Spain ahead of the trajectory of Italy, (meaning there are more cases in Spain now than there were in Italy at the same point in time) and Germany fast catching up, as are the USA. I expect both to join Spain ahead of the Italian curve before the day is over. UK numbers still looking relatively low.

There are some interesting charts on this page, especially in terms of the amount of testing being done per capita (my conclusion: everyone should move to Iceland or Norway): https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing.

I managed to fly to Canada right before they closed their borders, so I'm following events here more closely now. Interestingly, Canada (population 37.5 million) has carried out more tests than the U.S. (population 327 million), once you add in the figures for Quebec. Just one example of how the number of reported cases in each country aren't necessarily giving an accurate picture of the situation.

Macron just implemented total lockdown - following Italy's guidelines with the addition of all rents and public utility bill psyments being suspended.

New Zealand just closed its borders, no one is allowed inside the country except for citizens and permanent residents. At the moment we have 28 confirmed cases.

In the US (as elsewhere), it remains a struggle to get a critical mass of people to lock down their movements -- in part because so many people cannot work from home, cannot afford to stop working and won't unless/until we are officially locked down. 

I am not a parent but I find this helpful:
Image may contain: possible text that says 'Try this perspective shift. Instead of seeing "social distancing" and travel bans as panic, try seeing them as acts of mass cooperation intended to protect the collective whole. This plan is not about individuals going into hiding. Jt's a global deep breath agreement between humans around the planet to be still. Be still, in hopes that the biggest wave can pass without engulfing too many of the vulnerable amongst us. GeNtLePAReNTING_MeMes Dr Lindsay Ternigan'

I borrowed this from my niece who borrowed it as well. Makes alot of sense.

"You shouldn’t be upending your life right now to avoid infection; you should assume you are infected and upending your life will help prevent you from infecting others"

Mary W wrote:

"You shouldn’t be upending your life right now to avoid infection; you should assume you are infected and upending your life will help prevent you from infecting others"

That is sooooooo true.

Meanwhile, this morning's graph.

Both Germany (just)

and the USA join Spain ahead of the Italy curve. Italy with a population of 60 Million now has the highest number of coronavirus deaths in the world, surpassing China with a population of 1.4 Billion. 

20 March.png

Well, from what I have seen in some charts, it seems that in France the curve is flattening.

grafico.png

Let's hope it continues like this!

Maria T wrote:

Well, from what I have seen in some charts, it seems that in France the curve is flattening.

Let's hope it continues like this!

That set of curves is different from mine because the curves all start on the same date, mine all start at the same point of each country's outbreak.(I am more interested in comparing the trajectory so my day 1 is the same for all (when confirmed cases reached 75 to 85)

These are the official numbers as reported to the WHO (today's not in yet for Italy and France) and I see no flattening

France.png

What a letdown! Smiley Sad
I thought that somewhere was going well!
I don't look at those charts again.
I'll keep yours Smiley Wink

Maria T wrote:

What a letdown! Smiley Sad
I thought that somewhere was going well!
I don't look at those charts again.
I'll keep yours Smiley Wink

China is going well. As is South Korea! Look to them 🙂

Stay safe!

#restiamoacasa (let's stay at home!)

#yomequedoencasa (I stay at home) Smiley Wink

Mary W wrote:

I borrowed this from my niece who borrowed it as well. Makes alot of sense.

It's the same reasoning I try to tell people about vaccines. You don't get a flu shot or vaccinate your kids for yourself; you do it for the people who can't get vaccinated, and the people who might be very vulnerable.

It's terribly frustrating that we can all see how it's going in Italy and South Korea, yet we (U.S.) continue to actually be in worse shape than Italy.

petra_r
Community Member

It is now 8.07 and 33 seconds in Italy

The bleakness continues. 5986 new cases in Italy, and 627 people died in 24 hours.

I am beginning to understand the true meaning of "exponential growth".

It is now 8.09 and 59 seconds. A person here died while I wrote this post. One every 2 minutes and 20 seconds.

I have nothing new or interesting to offer other than virtual hugs and I'm thinking about you all.

Here, I have a project that's keeping me busy, not sure what happens after that.  My mom, who's over 80, is here and that's going better than expected. Ha! 

We are in the Seattle area, I want my sister who's in Chicago to come here but she hasn't yet.  The options are taking a plane then self quarentining at my Mom's place for 2 week to make sure she's clear or driving across the country (about 2,500 miles) and risk getting stuck if the states lock down their boarders.  I've been trying to convince her to come for a while now, I feel time is getting too short to make a decision, I don't know what is going to happen, I'd feel better if she was here with us.

Julie J wrote:

My mom, who's over 80, is here and that's going better than expected. Ha! 

We are in the Seattle area, I want my sister who's in Chicago to come here but she hasn't yet.  The options are taking a plane then self quarentining at my Mom's place for 2 week to make sure she's clear or driving across the country (about 2,500 miles) and risk getting stuck if the states lock down their boarders.  

Julie, I think it would be safer all round if your sister isolates where she is right now. Your mom is the main concern right now. Stay safe, stay at home!

Petra R wrote:

Julie J wrote:

My mom, who's over 80, is here and that's going better than expected. Ha! 

We are in the Seattle area, I want my sister who's in Chicago to come here but she hasn't yet.  The options are taking a plane then self quarentining at my Mom's place for 2 week to make sure she's clear or driving across the country (about 2,500 miles) and risk getting stuck if the states lock down their boarders.  

Julie, I think it would be safer all round if your sister isolates where she is right now. Your mom is the main concern right now. Stay safe, stay at home!

This is all true, but I'm disabled and my mom is not physically able to do much so we could use her help for the long run...but yes safer this way for now.

Meanwhile from a nursing home in Germany: 23 caregivers tested positive, 9 occupants dead, 5 in hospital, another 10 tested positive but still treated in the nursing home.

In Spain suddenly there are outbreaks in many nursing homes, I think they are almost 100 deaths and I do not even know the amount the contagion among the elderly and staff of the residence.
The worst thing is that there were 14 deaths in a residence that were not reported.

Todays numbers from Norway confirmed 1742 infections, 184 in the past 24h.

Oslo has confirmed infections in 12 nursing homes (only 4 48h ago)

I am still fascinated by how South Korea dealt with it. It would be frivolous to outright say "They nipped it in the bud, but they prevented CV-19 from ever getting fully into the swing of things with a combination aggressive testing and isolating early on. I guess it's far to say it's not yet completely over, but they do seem to be arriving at the back end relatively unscathed in comparison. 

Here's today's 5 country graph. (Edited to add I forgot to put UK to the red line but the red line at the bottom shows the Brits aren't testing much, essentially.)

The US, even with their minimal testing, are well ahead of the Italian curve, which is scary. So are the Germans, but they still have a minimal death rate which nobody has been able to adequately explain to me.

I understand the terrifying Italian death rate. Once the health system hits capacity, essentially, if you get seriously ill, you've pretty much had it.

But why aren't the Germans dying from it the way everone else is?

Anyway, stay safe everyone. stay at home! It took more than three months to reach 100,000 cases worldwide — but only 12 days to log the next 100,000.

21 March cases.png

petra_r
Community Member

Just out of interest, I added South Korea... Well, all I can say is: "THAT is what "flattening the curve" looks like..." Note how they were initially ahead of the Italian curve by quite some margin....

South Korea.png

I heard from one of my Upwork clients (in Spain) that he's had the virus  and is now recovering slowly.

I'm in lockdown,  but it hasn't made much difference to me yet,  as I wasn't going out much before! 

Am I imagining things, or does the name of this thread keep changing?

Christine A wrote:

Am I imagining things, or does the name of this thread keep changing?

It's because every time the mods merge some stray coronavirus post to it, it takes on that name. I guess I could change it back by replying to my original post so subsequent posts take on the original name...

petra_r
Community Member

Tonight's grim figures

Italy has had 6557 new cases and 793 people died from it in 24 hours.

That is one every minute and 49 seconds.

It's beginning to feel a bit surreal.

joynul33
Community Member

WHO has declared Bangladesh to be locked down but Govt. It still hasn't. We're an incredibly dangerous environment now. We have no PPI, kit etc. Please let us pray.

Joynul

Petra R wrote:

That might be because more than 50% of infections are people between 35-59. RKI

Screenshot_2020-03-21 COVID-19 Lagebericht 20 3 2020 - 2020-03-20-de pdf.png

Jennifer R wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Yes, but WHY?

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Yes, but WHY?

Most of them are probably mild cases without preconditions that are getting full treatment. But there are more older people infected lately and the first hospitals cannot accept more patients. Just wait a few more days.

The number of deaths  anywhere might show a higher percentage of older people dying from the virus. However, the numbers do include many younger people and children. So younger people should not assume immunity from death. No one is.  

And Petra's question remains unanswered - why Italy? 

While there are plenty of heartwarming stories, it probably did me good to be reminded a few days ago that we are often surrounded by idiots. 

I had to take a late-night train home from London.  I was doing the bored hovering thing while waiting and noticed a young woman a few feet away who looked a bit wibbly. I asked if she was OK and she said yes but came over for a chat anyway.

Then she went into a rant about this **** virus. I made agreeable noises and she said, "No, you don't get it. I'm not Chinese. I'm really not Chinese." It was late and I wasn't completely on the ball so it came to me slowly that she wasn't just drunk - she was really, really upset. Because people wouldn't believe she wasn't Chinese.  And she said she wouldn't have been quite so xxxx about what people had been saying to her if she hadn't happened to be South Korean. And I'm sure people can fill in the gaps.

On another note entirely, this is what the shops look like in Dublin. Everything is shut except grocery shops and pharmacies. My daughter told me, "Our shopping list is ' if the shop has food back, get something'."

DublinDublin

Meanwhile at Puerto Vallarta airport, there's no room for social distancing as Canadians and Americans on spring break are running out of time to leave.

airport.png

I know someone who is in PV right now and posted on The FB that she is on her last night and I wanted to send this to her...but I refrained.

petra_r
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

I know someone who is in PV right now and posted on The FB that she is on her last night and I wanted to send this to her...but I refrained.

Please feel free to!

Nichola L wrote:

The number of deaths  anywhere might show a higher percentage of older people dying from the virus. However, the numbers do include many younger people and children. So younger people should not assume immunity from death. No one is.  

And Petra's question remains unanswered - why Italy? 

Actually, I get "Why Italy" - lots of old people, people living in extended family groups so the people most likely to get infected (younger ones) are in constant contact with those likely to die (old people.) Now we are way, WAY beyond the capacity of the health system and if you get seriously ill, you've just about had it. Once a health system is beyond capacity, that's it. And that doesn't just mean the coronavirus. The numbers don't include the people who die because they can't be saved simply because there aren't any intensive care beds to save them because they are all taken up by CV patients. Doctors spend their days deciding who lives and who dies.

My question was "Why are Germans dying at such ridiculously (compared to other countries) low rate?"

There must be something to be learned in that.

Today's graph. France does show signs of flattening. Long may it continue. US out of control even with very minimal testing (a friend of mine was tested yesterday and sent home with pneumonia, the result will take 3 to 5 days... she (clearly) has it, but won't appear on the chart for up to 5 days... 

March 22.png

Christine A wrote:

Meanwhile at Puerto Vallarta airport, there's no room for social distancing as Canadians and Americans on spring break are running out of time to leave.

This is ridiculous... Those people should have stayed the hell at home.

petra_r
Community Member

Here is the updated death graph... 

Deaths 22nd March.png

Petra R wrote:

Here is the updated death graph... 

Deaths 22nd March.png

"Actually, I get "Why Italy" - lots of old people, people living in extended family groups so the people most likely to get infected (younger ones) are in constant contact with those likely to die (old people.)"

Germany probably has atomic families.

The curve for Spain is similar to that of Italy (probably for the reason you have cited above).

India and Bagnladesh will probably have steeper curves than Italy.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Ravindra B wrote:

... unless they arrest it NOW. In much the same way South Korea has done. Because it works.....

In the meantime, I can stop worrying about CV and worry about Earthquakes. Variety is the spice of life... Today's activity....

I can stop wrrying about Corona.png

Petra R wrote:

Ravindra B wrote:

... unless they arrest it NOW. In much the same way South Korea has done. Because it works.....

In the meantime, I can stop worrying about CV and worry about Earthquakes. Variety is the spice of life... Today's activity....

Petra, your destiny is being at the center of the problem!
I hope it stays in a scare.

In the meantime, the Czech Republic requisitioned hundreds of thousands of masks destined for Italy. They said it was a "mistake" ...

How low can people sink? 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths