🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: After Catalina 10.15, screenshots not tra...
Page options
andrewbenson90
Community Member

macOS screenshots not working right with Upwork app after recent update, macOS Mojave and Catalina

Since the last Upwork app update, maybe a week or so ago, the Upwork app is only capturing blank blue screens, or a blank blue macOS desktop, menu bar, and the upwork app window itself -- but nothing else.

The Upwork app prompted me to enable it for "Screen Recording" in system settings, which I did, but it still doesn't work.  

Obviously the clients dislike this.

I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled Upwork, and tried on both my Catalina MBP and my Mojave iMac and the result is the same.

Anyone else seeing this?

Any ideas for how to fix?

Thanks!

Andrew

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Brylle and others,

I'd like to follow up here to clarify the issues that you and others have reported on this thread as well as fixes and workarounds we've been able to provide.

•  The issue with screenshots has been fixed on the most recent version of Upwork Desktop App. It can be downloaded via this link.
  • Some of you may still run into issues with being unable to uncheck the security option for screen capture. That is due to a known issue with Catalina OS that affects multiple apps not just Upwork Desktop App. The solution is to run `tccutil reset All` in Terminal app to force reset all permissions so that they are properly requested again.

Please, refer to Vladimir's post from earlier for more detailed instructions and screenshots:

Vladimir G. wrote:

1. Close the Desktop App

2. Run tccutil reset All com.upwork.Upwork in terminal to reset any granted permissions.

2.1. If "Upwork" STILL is present in the Screen Recording section of Settings & Privacy, then please use tccutil reset All

3. Install the Upwork Desktop app version from this link.

4. Test functionality by taking a screenshot with the App (unless customized should be prompted by Ctrl+Alt+S or Ctrl+Alt+A, check the Keyboard Shortcuts in Settings to confirm this option is turned on) and authorize Upwork App when seeing this pop-up.

This is how the pop-up and your Security settings should look like after following the steps above:

1. Select "Open System Preferences".

UDA1.png

2. Tick the box next to "Upwork".

UDA2.png

3. Select "Quit Now"

UDA3.png

4. Confirm "Upwork" is on the list as shown below.

UDA4.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

271 REPLIES 271

Hi Savanna, 

Could you please confirm if none of the steps listed in this help article resolve your issue?

~ Avery
Upwork

None of the steps listed in the article resolved my issue. I am running
Catalina 10.15.

Hi Savanna,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your desktop app. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Vladimir. Works fine for me (after all your points above).
But not have Upwork in "Security & Privacy" > "Automation". Probably this is not required, since screenshots work now.

Thanks for the feedback Marsel!

I'll check the Automation modal list with the team and follow up but would suggest using the Desktop app in the meantime since it doesn't appear to hinder its operations.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi, I have tried and followed this solution but it didn't work for me. Any alternatives?

Best,

Erika

Hi Mary,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Mary,

In addition to having our team reach out to you, I sent you a pm with more information that might help resolve the issue. Feel free to follow up and share an update by responding to it, I'll make sure to check and assist you further. Thanks!

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi!

Last instructions with build 800 didn't help.

What can I do more to solve it?

Timofey

4. Test functionality by taking a screenshot with the App (unless customized should be prompted by Ctrl+Alt+S or Ctrl+Alt+A

Upwork tracker for Mac doesn't have these hotkeys/ screenshot action defined

Instructions with tccutil didn't worked. Nothing changed. I still have same problem

Hi Timofey, Denis, and Alexey,

I've shared your concern with our team and one of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to provide further assistance. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
nobin41
Community Member

I did a full reset of permission 

tccutil reset All

it worked / this will reset all your app permission n you have to open them again & allow when prompt for permission. All other methods did not work - Upwork app somehow gets automatically ticked after install/reinstall/terminal command.

I can confirm this works!

Thanks!

I can confirm that full reset of permissions worked for me.

Hi,

I am encountering the same problem too. Could somebody get in touch with me to troubleshoot it? I can't seem to get it work even with the troubleshooting suggested here. Thanks.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Angel,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with troubleshooting. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks! That helped.

I took all these steps, the settings were reset, but the problem remained. What's next?

Hi Yana,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
pushingpixels
Community Member

I'm having this issue as well. I just put in a ticket for it. It's screenshotting my desktop, but only the time tracker is showing. I need to keep working on this project (I have a deadline) and tracking my time, so I hope that the hourly guarantee will still apply even though nothing is showing up. 

Hi Lindsey,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused to you. This is a known issue and our engineers are looking into it. Our team will reach out to you regarding this issue directly via your support ticket and keep you updated.

We appreciate your patience while our team is working on fixing this issue.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I think I found the culprit. I had to allow Upwork to take screenshots of my desktop. This must either be a new setting or it was reset when I updated to Catalina. 

danquintanilla
Community Member

This was the fix, thank you! 

Even if it can be fixed, the App keeps crashing when you start the system, like 90% of the times. You have to force close the App, open it again and then you can use it, so it still doesn't work as it should.

jkintanar
Community Member

still no go even with the command support asked me to type on terminal and after installing the new tracker app

Hi James,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I followed up with the team handling your case and you can expect an update on your ticket very soon. Please allow time for our team to carefully review your request and respond accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

1/4
I'm currently reviewing Upwork's video tutorials in the freelancer education hub. Module 4 "Managing Communications" is directing me to dowload the new "Team App". I'm guessing this direction is outdated, and "Desktop App" is your current version.

Thanks!

Education Hub

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/education/getting-started-for-freelancers/

Desktop App
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211064038-About-the-Desktop-App

Hi Jack,

Good catch! I already sent a report to our team for review. 

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

2/4

No problem Aleksandar, happy to assist for the greater good. 

Q2, The desktop App will record keyboard strokes, mouse clicks and take screen snapshots. I'm fine with this being a measure of productivity, which might support me in the rare case of a billing dispute. However, what about a wacom tablet? I'm a photo reoucher... so a wacom tablet likely represpents about 80% of my work movement. I rarely use a mouse, and the keyboard is just there to lable a layer, toggle a brush, change to new tool etc.

Jack B wrote:

Q2, The desktop App will record keyboard strokes, mouse clicks and take screen snapshots. I'm fine with this being a measure of productivity, which might support me in the rare case of a billing dispute. However, what about a wacom tablet? I'm a photo reoucher... so a wacom tablet likely represpents about 80% of my work movement. I rarely use a mouse, and the keyboard is just there to lable a layer, toggle a brush, change to new tool etc.

While we wait hopefully for a definitive reply, I would be surprised if an input recorder distinguished between brush and mouse input. I seem to recall being able to use a Wacom tablet as a mouse years ago. If Upwork's tracker does make such a distinction, that needs to be addressed not only for your needs and those of others who work similarly, but due to general convergence (interchangeability) of hardware-based and touch input.

Jack and Michael,

Upwork App hasn't been officially tested on Wacom tablet and doesn't officially support it. It may record the activity as mouse clicks, however, we can't guarantee that it does. You may need to negotiate manual time with the client if most of the work you do on the contract can't be recorded by Upwork App. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks to all the Mods assisting me thus far, much appreciated!

Question: Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to actually test the screenshot function unless there is a live job in place?

Context:  I have successfully installed the desktop App without a single issue. (Mac OS 10.12.6)  I'm a new user just getting my profile set up, not seeking contracts yet. Given we are 9 pages deep here, I'd like to get some certainty on which OS is more cohesive with the app before opening doors for business. I have RAID partitions where I can test boot drives installed with differing OS versions, so I'm willing and able to do my due diligence on this. 

Thanks again!

Jack,

Upwork Desktop App works on OS X 10.9 and higher. 

The issue discussed on this thread was with macOS Catalina and Mojave but they have since been fixed on our end.

~ Valeria
Upwork

For anyone still having trouble getting this to work right. I followed everything earlier in this thread with no avail. This is how I got it to work, its very similar to the moderators method but this actually worked, i will write a very basic step by step process to try and make it clear.....

• go into the settings of Upwork app and find and use the option to delete cache. Once you have deleted cach and app has restarted dont bother logging in, Close the app (ensure you have closed it properly and not just minamised it.
    Screenshot 2019-10-19 at 10.33.43.png

• Next go into 'finder' and type "Upwork" into the search box, ensure 'this mac' is selected...
    Screenshot 2019-10-19 at 10.30.39.png
    Delete any Upwork related apps/folders by dragging to the recycle bin, then empty the bin. -
    **DISCLAIMER** make sure these are not files you want or need first, for me i took a bit of a gamble that it was all app related and got rid of everything with the exception of 1 folder that was a project folder i had created so i knew was unrelated to the app.
  • In addition make sure that you dont have any upwork app stuff in your downloads folder AND look on your desktop for an open drive named Upwork, if you see it then'eject' the drive to remove it (right click and select eject) - this is just from when you have been trying to install the new copy of upwork unsuccesfully.

• For this next step open terminal app by opening 'launchpad' then opening the 'other' folder you should see the terminal app there.
    Screenshot 2019-10-19 at 10.41.12.png

• Next, i tried to type in the command described earlier (tccutil reset All com.upwork.upwork) but had no luck. Instead i typed - tccutil reset All at the command line. (this resets lots of permissions and you will then be promted to grant permissions for some apps when you next use them). 
    Screenshot 2019-10-19 at 10.46.03.png

• Press ENTER and then you can close the terminal app again.

• Now, download and install the Upwork app from here...
    https://updates-desktopapp.upwork.com/binaries/v5_3_3_800_zh8y1qe7l33a9ip6/Upwork.dmg 

• install and follow instructions on screen - Everything should now work ok, at least it did for me.

Good luck, hope it works.

Jonathan's solution worked for me, thanks a lot. - Agency Raletta

Thank you, Jonathan. Your solution works for me as well!!! Kudos!!!

william_morris
Community Member

My MAC is 10.6.8. The beta doesn't work, either.

webclicks1
Community Member

I have tried all the options as discussed in the thread from uninstalling, reinstalling the beta version, ensuring the checkboxes are ticked in Screen Recording and Automation area. Everything has been triple done from scratch but no success yet. Please help as this is upsetting for my existing projects and causing frustration in my mind.

Hi Siddharth, 

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I also couldn't make the screenshots work, could you please help? Thanks

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members