🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » About my profile & connect
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,774 REPLIES 1,774
bd140728
Community Member

Andrea, please also review my profile, please share the tips to make it grow and point-out the shortcomings. 

1d540798
Community Member

Hi I am new on Upwork and placing bids for getting orders, but I am not getting order so what are the tacticles I should to get orders? Can any body help you me.

Regards
Rashmita

ad35d1e9
Community Member

AOA.

I m saeed...

I am finding a job on upwork....

AOA.

i am saeed...

i need job on upwork.

i am content writer,blogger and novel writer.

Hi Saeed,

Welcome to Upwork! I understand that you wanted to learn how you can start working as a freelancer. 

On Upwork, your profile is a critical tool to your success. It is a great way to demonstrate your skills and experience. Leveraging it to its full potential may help you differentiate yourself from other freelancers and improve the likelihood of getting hired. Here are some of the items successful freelancers incorporate into their profiles below:
  • Build your profile: This is your chance to showcase your skills and experience to potential clients. Complete your profile, including your work history, education, and a description of your services.
  • Build a strong portfolio: Your portfolio may help impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. Add any projects you’ve completed in the past to help you showcase your skills.
  • Network with clients: Establish good relationships by delivering quality work on time and communicating effectively. This can help you secure repeat business and new opportunities in the future.
  • Bid on projects: When you find a project you're interested in, submit a proposal outlining why you're the best candidate for the job. Make sure to tailor your proposal to the specific project and client.
Still need to figure out where to begin on Upwork? These resources can point you in the right direction:

With these steps, you'll be on your way to success.
Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork
2457e99a
Community Member

I'm really hard to find job too here on Upwork it's been 5 months already. But I just try and try and use free connects

ad35d1e9
Community Member

36888029_2123516964585563_8080039910024675328_n.jpg

Instead of posting that you need a job in the community 39 times since Tuesday, I suggest you check out the Academy tab to learn how Upwork works and visit the terms of service for Upwork. Given your background as a blogger and content writer, you should highlight your portfolio on your profile. 

ad03fd08
Community Member

Hi, friends! I have work experience in React.js, Next.js, Tailwind CSS, TypeScript, Node.js, MySQL, etc., especially in front-end development. I've applied to many Upwork jobs but haven't landed my first one yet. Could you give me advice or help me secure my first job on Upwork?

1c0deaac
Community Member

I have win Jo join and I do not have a job 

Community Member

Am trying to apply for job but it's not working

Pls what should I do ?

Perhaps try viewing the videos on the right here on this page towards the top.

The videos are shown with people who have inside tips to make it on Upwork.

Also cartoons that show you what do with simple steps.

Short articles to read.

Do not let the time scare you, sometimes one is able to complete the training very fast.

Give it a try. Knowledge is priceless in your business here on Upwork.

3fe29dcb
Community Member

I am new to this platform, very interested in getting my first project.

I would appreciate it if you told me if my profile could be attractive.

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/~011835718f414d6133

Maria Teresa Toro
1968b7ad
Community Member

I'm new upwork user, start career recently. And I stay improving all the requirement, I shared few of files, but It's haven’t any response. If possible kindly share your tips that would help me to get great deals. @https://www.upwork.com/workwith/fahimh41

7e104801
Community Member

i dont know why i frequntly visit upwork community even if i didnt get my first job on upwork.

advice needed

what i understand now its difficalt to get the first job even with the lowest price. any one please help me to find my new job i have skill what i mention on my profile.

when i ask some expert to help they mention to pay. i look and learn different topic regarding finding new proposal success but i couldnt make it.

your help is needed

I suggest you work on your profile for completeness and to attract clients. The first line is all the clients sees in a search. Use it to say why you are better than anyone else in the field, making sure you can back up the claim with hard skills.

"Lowest price" has little to do with winning contracts. The people who tell you to charge nothing to build a profile are wrong and sending you down an ugly path. If you have the skills, charge for them. If you don't, you will be scammed and not earn money.

Yes, money is a requirement. Every freelancer has to be able to support their business If you have no money to invest, then employment is a better option. I'm not being mean, I'm telling you the truth.

Your skills titles are all over the place...medical...data entry... You have to decide what marketable skills you have, and then write the profile. Use a spell check or a native English writer, with editing skills, to assess your text. If you have real skills in the medicine realm, you will find more clients with better pay, than for data entry.

Use the link to the Academy, and go through all the resources. It's up to you to have a professional profile and proposals.

It's not easy to break into freelancing, and with the flood of freelancers, it's more difficult. Most freelancers never earn a penny, spend some money, and leave the platform.

If this is the way you construct your cover letters...this might be the first problem:

When referring to 'I' do not use small letter 'i'

Be careful in your spelling: their is an editor button on Word document to click - 

Investigate and view the Learning Path videos on the upper right hand side of this page.

The moderator offered many great ones to view. Helpful in designing cover letters that win jobs. Shinning profiles. Many great options!

f35cae2f
Community Member

Hello everyone I worked with NGO in rural communities where women are not allowed to go to school,I interpret articls in local natives languages .

Place the curser on a Word Document in your language of understanding. Find the tab that says 'Read aloud' the built in artificial intellegence will read whatever is on the page to you. 

Investigate and view the Learning Path videos on the upper right hand side of this page.

The moderator offered many great ones to view. Helpful in designing cover letters that win jobs. Shinning profiles.               Many great options!

lightofearth
Community Member

Hi,

I have practical experience in handling bookkeeping and accounting issues but I am new to Upwork. How can I grow my career in this freelancing platform? I am looking for some pro tips from my fellow freelancers. You are requested to visit my profile and suggest to me how to improve my profile and what is the secret to winning the bid.

Regards
Kamrul Hasan Noor

Hello and Welcome!

Have you investigated and viewed the Learning Path videos on the upper right hand side of this page?

The mideos are helpful in designing cover letters that win jobs. Shinning profiles. Many great options and time well spent! If you click deep in the title suggestions on Upwork it explains skills to list and unique titles.

You are your own boss, you will be doing the work.

2fbba421
Community Member

Hi

My name is asifa 

91c12d15
Community Member

Well am new here can I get some help in finding for jobs

Have you investigated and viewed the Learning Path videos on the upper right hand side of this page?

The moderator offered many great ones to view. Helpful in designing cover letters that win jobs. Shinning profiles. Many great options!

d599163e
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community,

Please help me what should I do so I will get response from applied jobs. I have wasted lots of money but still didn't get any response. please suggest me some ways so I can get work on upwork.

Thanks,

Sunny

Hi, sunny you must do upwork beginner course. This course gonna help you alot.

Thankyou

I agree!

The moderator offered many great ones to view. Helpful in designing cover letters that win jobs. Shinning profiles.               Many great options!

ff756f51
Community Member

Hi everybody. I hope you are doing great. I'm a new freelancer at Upwork. Would you please help with anything ? How to start? How to overcome obstacles? I will be grateful

Hi Amina,

On Upwork, your profile is a critical tool to your success. It is a great way to demonstrate your skills and experience. Leveraging it to its full potential may help you differentiate yourself from other freelancers and improve the likelihood of getting hired. Here are some of the items successful freelancers incorporate into their profiles below:
  • Build your profile: This is your chance to showcase your skills and experience to potential clients. Complete your profile, including your work history, education, and a description of your services.
  • Build a strong portfolio: Your portfolio may help impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. Add any projects you’ve completed in the past to help you showcase your skills.
  • Network with clients: Establish good relationships by delivering quality work on time and communicating effectively. This can help you secure repeat business and new opportunities in the future.
  • Bid on projects: When you find a project you're interested in, submit a proposal outlining why you're the best candidate for the job. Make sure to tailor your proposal to the specific project and client.
Still need to figure out where to begin on Upwork? These resources can point you in the right direction:

With these steps, you'll be on your way to success.
Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork

I even view them in my spare time to refresh and see if I can acquire just one more piece of knowledge.

abddef9e
Community Member

Hello upwork team

Its been long since I joined this platform and I have been bidding and bidding wasting my connects and NO client has contacted me for any work. I have not subcribed to any connects.

Am wondering if I will ever work on this platform.

Kindly assist

Regards

Paul  

Perhaps you may need to check the Learning Path videos on the upper right hand side of this page?

They are very helpful.

Train well.

a25a685f
Community Member

Hi,

I want some work as freelancer so I created account on Upwork. As opening account I received 50 connects and I applied to 7 different jobs, but till today not received any kind of response from any client ( like not even call for interview).

On this platform I am new and I don't know,

Is there any problem in my profile or account?

Why I did not get any job invite for applied job?

And, Why all job require different number of connects?

So, can you please check and let me know what should I have to do for getting job/work on this platform?

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks & regards,

Devang Patel

4601e1c3
Community Member

Hi there my fellow freelancers.

i am very new to Upwork  soo i started learning and posting for job i have already spent close to 30 proposals and still no luck since i have a no clients at all.

i tried to under-cut the pay i tried doing the job before posting i even tried to fix my portfolio by showing real porgrames that i made. all this and still no luck soo can anyone guide me by reviewing my profile and telling me what is wrong i really need help at this point.

tanjiracca
Community Member

I have no job for a while. I need a job badly. How to get a job? After last bidding system implementation I don't have a job. I apply but I usually don't use the boosting option. Any advice?

I feel you! hold tight do your best and trust the process. 

Brother wait your time is coming. 

They are helpful when you are stuck. The videos list a lot of data to understand the correct ways to receive a job in your line of work. Good Luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths