🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Identify verification
Page options
30e5ca4f
Community Member

Identity Verification

Gov. ID was not approved, and yet it worked on a different page.

Everything shows. It´s not a pristine picture, but everything´s perfectly legible. Not sure how I could take a better picture..

Is there a place I can send it for a personal verification ? 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ahmad,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

- Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

2,308 REPLIES 2,308

Well I think that only jobs you included on your profile will appear when you type find work and if you did not inckude any web related job then you verify your identity on your upwork profile sttings or you try cliking on privacy policy shown in the page or you contact up work customer support.

Hi Muhammad,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
d280e2cb
Community Member

Please I've been struggling with verifying my identity on Upwork. I'm using the acceptable national ID and it's approved on other sites but I keep getting the rejection mail that verification wasn't successful; asking me to use another document. Please what am I not doing right. It's really very frustrating and I'm unable to focus on any other thing.

Hi Ima-Obong,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Dear Team,

I've encountered repeated rejections during the identity verification process using my government-issued ID, which is the standard acceptable form of identification in my country(as attached). I've also attached a copy of the latest verification decline. A screenshot of my profile is attached too.

While I understand the importance of verification, it's concerning that others in my region have successfully verified their accounts using the same type of ID. I would greatly appreciate a more personalized explanation for the specific issue with my verification attempt.

The generic responses are very frustrating.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi  Ima-Obong,

I'm sorry to hear you are still having trouble with the verification process. I see that you are actively communicating with the team via your support ticket; please continue coordinating with them, and rest assured that they will assist you further with this. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
d280e2cb
Community Member

I still have not received clear assistance till now. I have gone through the verification process again and it's been showing "under review" for almost 24 hours no response. Please I really need assistance. My first gig is due for payment and I'm sure I can't access it till I'm verified. I really need a way out already please. Screenshot of identity verification page is attached.

Hi Ima obong,

We've followed up with the team that's handling your case. Please allow them time to review and get back to you on the same ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
d280e2cb
Community Member

Hi,

I received a mail by 2am WAT that my ID was not accepted. However, my identity verification page is showing that it's still under review. What does this mean please. Or can I have real time update to know if I'm to try again or hold on.

615f0a76
Community Member

Hi,

I'm in urgent need of help - I need people who are actually employed at Upwork Inc. and who can move things quickly.

For the past hour or more I've been trying to verify my identity on Upwork via phone, but has caused immense frustration and anger after realizing it's pointless in trying.

The issue is that after showing either my ID card, or the Passport, the scanning page will do its thing for 2-3 seconds and display an error saying "could not detect 4 corners of your document" or something along those lines.

Both my ID and Passport have rounded corners, but I don't suspect that to be an issue? And also to mention I am capturing these documents on a dark background (as the verification page has stated previously on what I should do)

I'm also stationed in Bosnia & Herzegovina so I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem I'm having? I don't have any other mobile device to try there - so I wish there was an alternative where I could upload static images of my ID and have it be verified by a person, rather than a machine.

This is urgent as I'm entirely incapable of applying to jobs until I have verified my ID.

Having the same issue aswell. I tried emailing the **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Let's see if this also works. I think overall there should be a better help desk setup and ticketing system.

Hi Jayden,

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Nurudin,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
24d00779
Community Member

hello i am new to upwork and i am asked to verify my account before sending a proposal

which i have done 48hours ago but showing an emergency mark like i should redo it 

pls i need other means of verification cause my infomation is hear maybe a call with agent or something

Hi Olawale-Wasiu,

I'm sorry that you were having trouble with the verification process. Upon checking with the relevant team, I can confirm that your account has been successfully verified. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
90e453ca
Community Member

Hello,

After accepting a contract, a popup has shown to my screen that I need to verify my account. I submitted the necessary documents but all icons are now on warning status. I also tried to apply for a job, but the apply button is now disabled. I hope someone can help me fix my account because I have an ongoing contract. 

42b5d27e
Community Member

Hi , i need a help my identity verification is in manual review ,so i can not apply for a job now .My one project is going on ..can you please help me..

Hi Thamid,

I checked your account and it appears that you have already submitted your documents. Please allow 1-3 business days for the team to review and update your account. Our team will reach out to you directly if they need additional information.

- Pradeep

Upwork
923c0848
Community Member

I'm using an Ipad and skype number, everytime I get a verification link I can't click the link and if I paste it into safari all it does is  bounce me to the same page asking me to scan a code or receive a link. If I scan the code on my Ipad, it similarly bounces me to that same page. Help, I cannot get paid for my first job.

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
923c0848
Community Member

First off, I joined Upwork to try to prevent myself going bankrupt and ending up on the street.

My US citizen spouse left me 9 months ago after sinking us in severe debt with credit cards. We had to sell our house to not be financially devastated. I've basically lost everything since and having paid 2023's tax 2 weeks ago have almost nothing left. I have been running a business in the USA for 13 years, but it requires substantial purchase of raw supply that I buy via freight, a thing I cannot really handle all by myself, living now in a third floor tiny apartment. I've been looking for other work on the strength of my business's history and some of the skills I have acquired via doing this.

I can't work a salaried job for anyone else right now as my green card is expired and it takes 11 months wait to get a new one. I am, regardless, a legal permanent resident, and it is legal for me to run my business, it is also legal for me to stay here and work, it's even legal for me to travel out of the country right now as due to the extreme delay on getting new green cards, there is a current amnesty on expired ones where you will be allowed to travel out of the country for up to two years after date of expiry. However, that does not help the fact that most US employers want to see a current green card. Imagine my horror when it turns out so do Upwork. I can't wait 11 months, I am going to be homeless before then. I don't even have a phone any more because I can't afford one so I'm not even sure how to upload proof of ID. ID I don't have, so it's a moot point.

I scored my first job on Upwork a couple of days ago, which triggered Upwork wanting proof of identity. I don't have any current proof bar my USCIS number on the expired card which DOES prove it is legal for me to work, plus recent tax documents, US SSN, proof of rent agreement. I have a UK passport. I don't drive so have no drivers license.

I don't know any other freelancing gig company that does this. My website provider (Shopify) have all my full US tax identification and legal SSN and have never asked for photo ID. I also have US eBay accounts, US PayPal accounts, all have full tax identification. I have US bank accounts I opened with my SSN and proof of US residence (my rent agreement, the rental company similarly have not asked for photo ID.)

Asking for photo ID from freelancers and the self employed is just something I have NEVER heard of, not in 28 years of being self employed and 13 in the USA. US employers only want it so you can prove you will not duck out on a salary. This (self employment) is not a salary and anything I would have to bail on.

I'm not going to be able to withdraw funds from my first job here on Upwork. I'm already not able to apply for new ones.

I am in a total bind because I really am not going to be able to run my business much longer as I cannot handle the serious amount of raw material it takes, nor do I want to be trapped in place for months by the bulk supplies I have to purchase any more - I really cannot move anywhere due to being laden down with 60 reels of heavy cable at all times, nor do I want to give up and have to be forced out of no choice to leave the country before I can get a new green card. It is really hard to export my pets out of the country and I'm severely depressed having lost my spouse and home and everything I own.

Is there ANYTHING I can do? Or do I effectively have to lie and use a UK address and my UK passport to be able to keep applying for work? And then presumably have to complicate matters by also having to pay UK tax as well as US tax. I really can't think of any other way round it. I also can't even remember my UK SSN and might not even have access to it any more given I intended to live the rest of my life in the USA. I am just totally despondent at this and don't know what to do.

Hi Rachel,

I'm deeply sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing, and I truly empathize with your situation. It sounds incredibly difficult, and I appreciate you reaching out to us for assistance.

Upwork has certain requirements in place to ensure the security and legitimacy of all users on our platform, including the verification of identity. However, I understand that your circumstances present unique challenges. I can see that we've already raised a support ticket on your account regarding your concern. One of our team members will reach out to you as soon as possible to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork

I would have appreciated some notification of this fact before I:

signed up for Upwork.

spent ages making my profile

spent ages looking for work and getting rejections 

Spent actual money I can't really afford on a subscription having run out of tokens to bid.

Lowered my hourly rate to the lowest I can muster just to build feedback. Let's be honest here, us US residents are competing against freelancers in third world countries where cost of living is way lower. It's not easy for us to get commissions as it is, and my first one was advertised for "US residents only" and in my exact line of work (custom cable enclosures.)

Spent 3 hours so far working on the first commission. I will complete the commission but really this is so depressing.

Seriously had I known all this, I would have not got my hopes raised, because there is no way I can wait on 11 months to get a new green card, I have not even applied, because of the extreme likelihood I am going to have to bail and leave what was and still could continue to be, a successful business. My spouse owes me thousands of dollars, and has no job by virtue of no experience having spent a decade working for me. And I am not holding my breath on the likelihood of getting that money back.

seriously have you thought about not requiring a verification process that discriminates against the poor (people who can't afford cars, can't afford a passport, can't afford to renew ID) That discriminates against immigrants because yes, there is a huge delay right now on getting the ID, Covid caused that. Because every other site I have used has simply required my SSN and proof I own a basic bank account, and for me to fill in a W9 that can be passed on and verified with the US tax authorities. If I was not here legally, I would not be declaring my presence to the tax authorities in this way.

f7d76ad7
Community Member

Hi.

I  am a freelancer.

I signed to Upwork in March and received messages to verify my identity.  I have taken a picture and uploaded my ID card, but the process is not complete, and I cannot send messages or post jobs. It has been now about 24 hrs.   The message continues to show.  Happy to do what it takes to solve it.  Appreciate any help.  

Thanks 

Mercedes 

Hi, Mercedes,

It is not wholly clear at exactly what stage you are stuck. Did you get confirmation that your documents were uploaded? Under consideration?  Maybe if you can state the last thing you received from Upwork regarding the process - either on screen or by email, someone might be able to suggest something.

All the best.

Hi!

I'm new here and I already finished a job. Since this is my first work, I´m
not sure when I´m supposed to get paid. Could you, please, help me with
this?
6aa9268e
Community Member

Hi all,

I just set up my upwork profile and completed verification (received notification, can confirm in settings) despite that I still see the banner that I need to complete my verification. Most importantly, I can't upload or write anything under cover letter section while applying for the job. I wonder if I need to reach out to customer care for support or is it something transient and I can try later.

6aa9268e_0-1714385324095.png

I can't even apply to the same job posting w/o the cover letter. I have enough connects and my account is verified at least per the settings.

Hi Amita,

I'm sorry to hear you cannot submit proposals because you are currently required to complete your verification process, which is still pending.

After reviewing your account, it seems that your previous submission was rejected because the image of your ID card was not acceptable. Please avoid cropping, altering, or uploading a screenshot of your ID card. You can try uploading your document again from the Settings page.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
wilkista
Community Member

Its needed for verification

Please send a screenshot of the error and submit to the above Support link.

Hi Wilkister,

I'm sorry that you were having trouble with the verification process. Upon checking with the relevant team, I can confirm that your account has been successfully verified. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
221d1b53
Community Member

Hi

I have tried to verify my ID with a valid national identification and my passport. I live in Colombia, I am Venezuelan. None of the IDs seem to be accepted and there is no explanation or a way to contact regarding ID verification. How do I go about getting support for this?

Hi Jose,

I'm sorry you've been having trouble with the verification process. After reviewing your account, it seems that your previous submissions have been rejected because the images of your ID card were not acceptable. Please avoid cropping, altering, or uploading a screenshot of your ID card, and ensure you are submitting a valid unexpired ID. You can try uploading your document again from the Settings page.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
221d1b53
Community Member

Well I would take an appropriate picture if given the chance, but since the whole process is pretty much automatic, how can I make sure the picture that is taken is acceptable.

I would like to note that I made sure I had sufficient lighting, there were no glares, and my whole ID was visible.

Is there a way to manually upload a picture?

Hi Jose,

Could you please try uploading the picture of your ID again, ensuring it's unexpired and valid? The team will automatically start a manual review process if there are any issues, and you'll need to allow 1-3 days for the review to be completed. 

You can see this article for more information on the kinds of documents we accept and best practices when submitting them. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
d12a3224
Community Member

Can anyone help me, I tried several times for my account to be verified - for some reason it won't accept my passport because of glare and now it gave me this - please someone help. And when I reached out for chat support they said that my account was suspended??!

Screen Shot 2024-04-30 at 7.35.17.png

Hi Cherry Mae,

We checked with our verification team and they've confirmed that the badge has already been added to your profile. You may log into your account and check. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
75e7a1d7
Community Member

Pls I want to do an agent verification for my upwork account because my ID is not getting verified....

Pls help me out support team

I have the same problem, I read on the internet If your account passed 7 days from creating your account goes to an on hold situatian.. 
I need help too for resolve the problem.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths