🐈
» Forums » Support » Issue with Identity Verification and Pending ...
Page options
30e5ca4f
Community Member

Identity Verification

Gov. ID was not approved, and yet it worked on a different page.

Everything shows. It´s not a pristine picture, but everything´s perfectly legible. Not sure how I could take a better picture..

Is there a place I can send it for a personal verification ? 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ahmad,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

- Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

2,526 REPLIES 2,526
niaabdul
Community Member

Hello,

I was fortunate enough to be invited to the Upwork EVT program, however, I cannot get started with any clients or meetings due to a hold with my verification. I submitted my ID and selfie - but the system seems to need a manual review? I've waited days for an e-mail now and my account will be suspended if not addressed asap.

Please provide some assistance on what can be done?

Thanks! 

Hi Nia,

I checked your account and it appears that your ID documents were submitted just a few hours ago. Please allow 1-3 business days for the team to review and update your account. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
903d25ff
Community Member

Hi upwork team,

I submitted a valid id and I have this error. What does this mean? do I need to submit a different Id?

IMG_5589.png

Hi Earlyn,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with the verification process. Could you try an alternate ID if you haven't already? You can check out this page for more information on what types of documents are acceptable. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8f0ee0ce
Community Member

Moments after I got my first contract, Upwork asked for identity verification and I obliged accordingly by capturing my face and Identity card (NIN). It didn't verify immediately and then all of a sudden it said; 

"We've started a manual review"

"Watch your email in case we need you to answer any questions" 

How long does the manual review take and why is this happening please? Now, I'm even unable to accept invites and offers. Please I need to know whether this issue is being worked on because I'm scared of losing my clients.

Hi Adekola,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your verification process. A manual review process typically starts when the automated system can't process your submitted documents on its own; a dedicated agent will review them within 1-3 days from the date of your submission. If there are any issues with the submitted documentation, the team will contact you directly and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8f0ee0ce
Community Member

Okay, Thank you

9752e5da
Community Member

I have recently completed my identity verification setup, however, I encountered an error message stating: 'If we can't instantly verify you, we'll start a manual review process.' Could you please provide an estimate of the expected waiting time for this manual review process? Additionally, I have attached an image for reference.

Hi Amjad,

When a manual review process starts, it can take 1-3 days to be completed. The relevant team will contact you directly if there is anything else you need to do on your end. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
9752e5da
Community Member

Thanks Bro.

b9c7cd35
Community Member

I scan the qr code or receive an sms, go to the site and click log in using Google, but the request is not processed and is not sent, nothing happens, I just click on the button and go nowhere.

Hi Nikita,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
adenikeolowoniyi
Community Member

Hello there!

I'm new to this platform and getting help is so difficult...I'm already frustrated and thinking of giving up on upwork.because nothing is really working for me here... Have been told to verify my account and I tried multiple times  using my NIN slip but I keep getting this message (we couldn't recognize your documents) hence I can't apply for any job...Also my very first active contract was closed by upwork after I had worked and completed the job and I was told the client violated the terms of service. I'm so tired 😪 it seems upwork is not for me cos nothing is really working!

Hi Adenike,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with the verification process. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
e14f1745
Community Member

I also have the same problem.

Valid and updated document.  Clear image.  Dark background.

Successfully uloaded twice, with selfie but still not accepted without reason. 

My document picture is somewhat older, about 10 years, but I think a KYC system should be capable to handle this. 

To be honest I think upwork'sID verification system need to be improved ASAP. 1672  replies to this topic talk by itself.

There is any possibility to have a human verification?

Hi Anderson,

I'm sorry you're having difficulties verifying your ID. I looked closely at your account and confirmed that you need to submit a valid alternate ID for the team to proceed. Could you try an alternate ID if you haven't already? You can visit this page for more information on what types of documents are acceptable. 

Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
creativeweblogo
Community Member

Several time I have submitted "I DID NOT SERVE IN THE MILITARY" option but it show me again.

Can you share me verification process, I want to verify my account.

Please find attached screenshot.

Hi Rajib,

I looked closely at your account and confirmed that it doesn't need further verification yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. In the meantime, you may visit this help article to learn more about the process.

~ Arjay
Upwork
232d76e4
Community Member

Hello Upwork Team and community:

I want to verify the identity verification of my upwork id but there's no option in my profile setting.
Kindly let me know how I can do identity verification.
I have attached the screenshot to check that.

Also when i talk with upwork AI support that chatbot provides me a link for identity verification but after clicking that link i got error i have attached the screenshot.
Plus i tried to contact upwork support via email ( **Edited for Community Guidelines** ) but i got this response everytime: " 

This email is no longer supported

We have moved your support experience in order to provide you with faster, more personalized and direct support.

To receive additional assistance, please explore the Upwork Academy. There you can view and complete learning paths to help jumpstart your success on Upwork. You may also find assistance through engaging with other Upwork users like yourself in our active Upwork Community or visit our Help Center to find helpful support articles. "

I am not able to even open upwork support request.
How can i verify my identity on upwork?
Anyone can help me out
Thanks 
Regards : Irsa Ilyas

Hello, nice to greet you! In order to verify it, you have to go to your profile where the verification option appears. You must have your passport ready to be able to verify it. 

I'm here to help guide you through the process as best I can. If you're experiencing issues with identity verification on Upwork and you cannot access the option through your profile settings, here's what you can do:

1. Direct Support Request: Instead of emailing the unsupported email, you should access Upwork's support through the official website. Log in to your account, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on “Help and Support” to submit a help request using their online support system.

2. Use the Help Center: The Help Center can be a valuable resource where you might find articles detailing the identity verification process and troubleshooting steps for issues with verification links or errors.

3. Check Notification Settings: Sometimes the option to complete your identity verification is provided through notifications on your Upwork account. Make sure to check all your notifications.

4. Upwork Community and Forums: You may post your issue in the Upwork community forums where other freelancers or Upwork moderators might be able to address your issue or guide you on what to do next.

5. Wait for Upwork’s Prompt: Occasionally, the option for identity verification might not be immediately visible because it’s not required at that moment. Upwork typically prompts users to verify their identity when necessary.

Make sure you're also checking for any browser-related issues that might be preventing the link from opening correctly; try a different browser or clearing your cache if you suspect this might be the case.

Keep in mind that the verification request often comes from Upwork directly and you must wait for their prompt to complete the process. If you've recently joined Upwork or if an identity verification requirement arises, Upwork will notify you.

539ff138
Community Member

Hi. I recently registered on Upwork. I got my first contract and need to go through identity verification. I followed the link, opened it on my smartphone, activated my camera and tried to upload my passport photo. But Upwork can't recognise my passport. I have been trying to upload it for a week now. But every time I see a message that it is impossible to recognise. I don't have any other suitable documents. I don't have a driving licence.
My passport is valid, it has a clear photo, date of birth, place of birth and no glare. I place it in the centre and choose a contrasting background.
I created a support ticket but they didn't help me and closed it.
I contacted the Upwork bot and was told that I have to request a manual verification of my passport. How do I request this verification?

If automated methods have not worked and customer support has been unable to resolve the issue thus far, you may need to follow up with Upwork to request a manual verification. Here’s a suggested course of action:

1. Support Ticket: If your previous support ticket was closed without resolution, consider opening a new one explaining the situation in detail. Clearly mention that the automated process is not accepting your valid passport and that you have tried all the recommended steps.

2. Contact Support Again: Sometimes, reaching out to customer support multiple times is necessary. Make sure to communicate your issue clearly and request manual verification explicitly.

3. Use Upwork Community Forums: There's a chance other freelancers have experienced similar issues. The Upwork Community forums can be a place to seek advice from peers and sometimes moderators can escalate issues.

4. Direct Request: In your communication with support, ask for a direct link or guidelines on how to proceed with manual verification if such a procedure exists.

Remember to always communicate professionally and be persistent in your follow-ups, given that ID verification is a critical step before you can fully start working on contracts.

If the standard channels of communication do not yield results, checking through the Upwork Help Center for articles on ID verification can sometimes provide alternative contact methods or more detailed instructions for special cases like yours.

Hi Galina,

I see that you've been coordinating with the appropriate team for your ID verification concerns. Please continue doing that through the support ticket or email linked to your case so the team can assist you more efficiently. You may visit your ticket on this page for updates.

~ Arjay
Upwork
2b16e896
Community Member

Hello, I am trying to verify my identity and I have been able to verify my passport but the automatic selfie on the mobile device does not work. It says that my camera permission is not turned on even though it is. I am wondering if I can verify by video chat? Thank you.

My identity verification is stuck on on visual check, is there any way to move this forward or to fix it?

Hi Angel,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
creativeweblogo
Community Member

Hi Team, 

Identity Verification for Indian freelancer.
I have not seen verify option in my account, I am not sure the reason for that.
Please let me know your opinion on this.

Please find the attached screen shot.

Its ok. Work as-is. You will be asked about verificatio later.

Hi Rajib,

It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to users of Upwork. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

~ Joanne
Upwork
niaabdul
Community Member

Hello,

I was just admitted into the EVT program, but I still haven't received my badge - it says my ID has not been verified, but it was already verified (please see attached images.) How can I resolve this issue, so I can move forward with EVT clients?

Thanks!

Hi Nia,

Thank you for your message. I followed up with the team handling your account and I am pleased to inform you that your account has been cleared with the ID verification signal. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork
ed0ca101
Community Member

Hello, I am from Mexico. I tried over and over to complete the identity verification process, but I always receive the error that you couldn't verify me, I feel very frustrated, I already tried with different documents and got the same result, I tried to receive help for the chat support but is awful dont resolve nothing is just a meta browser for search documents on academy. So here i am, there is an other option for verify my identity? or can you please help me to check my account if I have a problem on it?

Hi Roberto,

I'm sorry to hear about the frustration you've experienced with our identity verification process and the support you've received thus far. We understand how important it is for you to complete this process and start using Upwork fully. I recommend you to check this help page for the tips to successfully complete your verification. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
Community Member

Hello,
Please note that I am posting from a duplicate account since my main has been suspended and I cannot access Community Forums from it. This account was earlier closed and has ONLY been opened for support purposes.

My main account was recently suspended as I reported a Profile Picture Change. The issue had been resolved on my end but Upwork suspended my account for security purposes.

I completed the ID verification on Upwork, but they rejected it for no reason. The ID was:

- Valid

- Not expired

- A National ID

- Clear Pictures

- Not in English (older ID cards in my Country are not in English)

I have contacted Upwork Support multiple times but they just say its Invalid...I have no other forms of ID currently available.

This is Urgent, please solve ASAP since I was talking to a Client about a job and I might risk losing it if my account is not recovered soon.

Thanks.

Hello Galaxy,

I am sorry to hear about the action taken on your account. Could you please click on my name above this post and send me a private message with the registered email address for the account you are referring to? 

- Pradeep

Upwork

I am unable to message you privately, so I will just drop that email of my account down here:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Galaxy,

I checked the account and I see that you're already communicating with the relevant team via a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here after logging in to your previous Upwork account. You can also view and respond to the support ticket from the registered email address.

Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Thats not entirely the problem...first of all I cannot access that ticket directly, since my account on which the ticket is logged is suspended...thats not much of a problem since I can respond to the ticket via Gmail

Secondly, the support team keeps telling me that my ID is invalid and thats what I need help the most with. The ID I am submitting is the actual used ID in my Country but the Support team just rejects it for some reason. If you could provide help with that, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Thank you for getting back to us. I understand your concern. The support tickets are handled directly by our teams of experts and we have limited access to your details. Also, I will be unable to discuss ID related issues on this public forum for security reasons. I recommend you continue communicating with our team directly via the support ticket for better assistance. Thank you for your understanding. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths