🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: "Get Support" Button isn't visible. Can't...
Page options
c96f18ce
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I am having a similar issue. I am setting up a personal freelancer account and I need a phone number to proceed with the final step but my phone number is also being used for a client account which I need. Could someone advise please.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,489 REPLIES 1,489

Hi Victoria,

I see that the team replied to you with more information about your concern. Could you please continue coordinating with them via your ticket?

~ Luiggi
Upwork
e2413971
Community Member

Hello!

I have tried to speak to the chatbot at least 10 times about this issue to no avail. I am always told to click on the "Get Support" button, which is nowhere to be found. This seems to be a common problem.

I am unable to finish creating my account because it says the phone number is already in use, presumably by the person who had this number before me (I've had it for over 2 years now). I need assistance from a human being. Please help.

Hi Aerin,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
faa203ce
Community Member

My Number is being used by another account

Hi Vandana,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
d47fe36a
Community Member

I'm a new client, and when I type my phone number, it shows it's already registered.

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Angel,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~Andrea
Upwork
d47fe36a
Community Member

Thank you.

67d4d418
Community Member

I'm having the same issue as everyone else. I'm trying to post a job and I keep getting this error "This number is being used by another account". The chat bot does not help when trying to figure out how to resolve this issue or how to even submit a support ticket. Please help!

Thanks,

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
e13597b3
Community Member

I have gone through the process of setting up an upwork account.

This is because I have completely changed niche.

I have spent the past 45 minutes writing my descriptions and adding skills and educations to the account, to be told that my Mobile phone number is still in use by the old account that I have "closed"

I need the other account to be completely deleted, as this will never be used again, and is preventing me from using the service.

I have tried going down the chatbot route, but it is completely and utterly useless, I've never once had an experience with any online platform/Business where it is so challenging to contact support to resolve an issue...

Can I please have a response on this, I need my old account permanantly closing so I can continue the setup of the new one.

This will then be inline with upworks Policies and terms and conditions. Again I must reiterate that contacting your support department is a absolute joke.

Hi Ryan,

I am sorry for the inconvenience with contacting support. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket so that we can look into this further and assist you accordingly. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

I will also share your feedback with our team for further review. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
eff8b4e2
Community Member

old account that I dont know email or username for is using my phone number I can prove its my phone number and I cant finish creating an account without it as it says phone number already in use.

Also I have been trying to figure out how to create a support ticket or get in contact with someone but the AI bot would not help at all

Hi Nathaniel,

I'm sorry you're having trouble verifying your phone number when setting up an account. Please be aware that users can only have one account under one email address and phone number. 

I've shared your concerns with our support team and raised a ticket to give your case the attention it deserves. Kindly expect an update from one of the team members on this page once your accounts are thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
jdephillip
Community Member

I just signed up and am limited to what I can see because it keeps saying "phone number is already in use." I've tried the support chat to no avail! I'm so frustrated! How do I fix this?

Hi Jodie,

I've escalated your community post to a support ticket to give your report the attention it deserves. I'm sorry if you're having difficulties getting through the phone verification. One of the agents will contact you soon on this page with more information and to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1efa2edb
Community Member

Is this still an active thread? I am having the same issue where my phone number is already in use. I tried to delete the other account but it has not resolved the issue. Moderator, can you submit a support ticket for me?

1d1e8fd1
Community Member

Trying to open a new account but get error message "Phone already in use." Tried looking through forum but no answers there, only "we opened a ticket for you." How to get info to get this resolved?

Hi Cindy,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you on this page to further assist in completing the phone verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
844ddeb4
Community Member

After apply for a job, then to verify phone number by text or call and neither works. I'm getting this message: Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support.

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Can you help me? I have tried verifying my phone number but I don't receive codes after waiting for hours, I've tried other numbers and devices same thing... really frustrating 

Hi Origbo,

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Thank you!

db73cbd0
Community Member

Hello,

I am attempting to apply for jobs and it's asking to verify my phone number, when I click on text or call, it states that "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support". Please help.

Hi Nick,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket to give your account concern the attention it deserves. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
4e46af6b
Community Member

I have an active phone, but it has no texting capabilities. How can I get the verification code to finish setting up my profile?

Hi Corey,

~ Joanne
Upwork
4e46af6b
Community Member

Yes, I do need assistance. How do I reach the support team directly? Thanks for your fast response.

Community Member

I am having the same issue someone please assist.

Hi Shawheen,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
58cb178e
Community Member

While creating this new account, it says my phone number is already taken. That's not possible. I just tried logging in with all of my google accounts, all of my emails, and my Apple account and all of them take me to create a new account or say that I don't have an account. I need my phone number removed from your system and I'd like to know the account it's associated with

Hi Skyler

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
6574b876
Community Member

I accidentally created two upwork accounts. I deactivated the second one after I realized this, but I can't change the contact information on my active account now. It says the email address is already in use. I couldn't add my phone number to the second account because it was already attached to the first one, which is how I realized I had already created an account.

So now I can't add my email address to the first account, and I can't add my phone number to the second account.

The only support option I have been able to access is the chat bot, which has been unhelpful. It appears there is no way to get support from a human. How do I fix the contact information on my account?

Hi Ernest,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
aliaimam
Community Member

I am setting up a personal freelancer account and I need a phone number to proceed with the final step but my phone number is also being used for a client account which I need. whener I try applying for a job I get this message "phone number is already in use" and I cannot proceed with th application.

Could someone advise please. 

Hi Alia,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
101fb850
Community Member

I am trying to submit a job request, but the system says my phone number is already in use. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Thank you!

Hi Jane,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths