Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your onboarding experience

Highlighted
Employee
Mike J Employee Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
1 of 38

Hi Community!

We’re always looking for ways to improve the experience of creating an account and getting started on Upwork. Who better to help us find opportunities than freelancers and clients who are new to Upwork? We would really appreciate your feedback on any challenges you faced while getting started on Upwork. This includes the signup process, creating your profile, submitting proposals, searching for jobs etc. We’re open to all feedback, but you can use these questions to guide your thinking:

• What wasn't clear?
  • What do you know now that you wish you knew then?
  • What would have helped you in the beginning?
  • What have you learned that has made it easier for you to find work?

We look forward to your responses and helping to improve the experience of new users.

Best,
Mike J. | Jr. Program Manager, Talent Success
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 38

Mike, I've said it over and over and will reiterate once more.  A part of profile approval should be passing a meaningful test, featuring the important terms of the TOS - contact with clients, how payment works, verification of ID and all those things that clog up the forums.  I cannot think of another way to suss out the auto-accepted, the fake ids, and the just generally unprepared FLs.  Several of us have actually offered our services to create a meaningful test.

Highlighted
Huzaifa Z Member Since: Sep 10, 2020
3 of 38

exactly 

Highlighted
Kitt W Member Since: Aug 21, 2020
4 of 38

Everything seemed to go very smoothly. I even got responses fairly quickly. But I keep getting permission denied messages when I click on the responses from the people who would like to submit a proposal. Therefore, I can't review or reply to the people who've sent me a message. There doesn't seem to be an obvious answer to this issue. As a newbie, I'd like to know that it can be easier to access the proposals. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 38

Hi Kitt,

See my reply to you here

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 38

Mike J wrote:

Hi Community!

We’re always looking for ways to improve the experience of creating an account and getting started on Upwork. Who better to help us find opportunities than freelancers and clients who are new to Upwork? We would really appreciate your feedback on any challenges you faced while getting started on Upwork. This includes the signup process, creating your profile, submitting proposals, searching for jobs etc. We’re open to all feedback, but you can use these questions to guide your thinking:

• What wasn't clear?
  • What do you know now that you wish you knew then?
  • What would have helped you in the beginning?
  • What have you learned that has made it easier for you to find work?

We look forward to your responses and helping to improve the experience of new users.

If you trawl through the "New to Upwork" thread, it won't take you long to find the answer to your questions. 

When I read this thread, it seems that, apart from a lack of understanding the connects system and the 20% service fee,  many newcomers have problems actually setting up their accounts, uploading and arranging portfolios (not limited to newbies), religious issues where photos are concerned, and the verification process. 

As Mary said. The main problem that newcomers have is that they do not read the help pages and they do not read the ToS, before launching themselves into the deep end of freelancing, which inevitably leads to at best, misunderstanding, but usually tears, or even drowning. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
7 of 38

Nichola L wrote:

As Mary said. The main problem that newcomers have is that they do not read the help pages and they do not read the ToS, before launching themselves into the deep end of freelancing, which inevitably leads to at best, misunderstanding, but usually tears, or even drowning. 

I 100% agree with this. When I was new, even though I did read the TOS, the most important points didn't really register - no circumvention, no communicating outside Upwork pre-contract, no accepting checks for "expenses", etc. 

Highlighted
Diane B Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
8 of 38

And even if the TOS are read, there are some things that we still might have questions about.  For example, I am having some issues knowing how and what to showcase in my portfolio.  My previous editing work has been with books and journal articles that went on to publication and many documents that are confidential.  I'm just not sure about the best way to put that out there.

Highlighted
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
9 of 38

Hi Diane,

In your portfolio, you can showcase any projects related to your skills as long as you personally have worked on every item you add and the content doesn't violate the Terms of Service. If you've completed those projects for a client, make sure the client is okay with you posting the work on your Upwork profile. You can check with them directly on that.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
10 of 38

Why not move the readiness test (which is too easy anyway) into the approval process and make approval dependent on the score? I know the results would be available on the internet in a matter of seconds, but still... it would at least force newbies to familiarize themselves with the platform a little and not be so wide-eyed and clueless. (With a special section for US based people that says: NO CHECKS!)

Regarding my personal experience: I found it easy and intuitive to register and create a profile, and luckily a real nice client responded to a proposal in a matter of days, so everything went quite smoothly. I have to admit that I was puzzled a lot by JSS calculation and other things, but after a few whacks on the knuckles by Petra I finally got it, as far as it is meant to be understood, that is.