🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Payment Method Inactive !
Page options
2e750978
Community Member

Payment Method Inactive !

Hello ! It's been five days since i added payment method to local bank. But it's still inactiave. No Response or Verification email from upwork.Can you please tell me how long it will take to active ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Zaki,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 

You need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S.taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

816 REPLIES 816

Hi Amine,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it seems that you already created a support ticket for the issue you are experiencing. Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
1bcb1383
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

The withdrawal method "Direct to Local Bank" is still inactive.

All the information regarding taxes and my identity is filled in.
Can you please assist me? This is becoming very urgent as I cannot withdraw my money.

Thank you!

Hi Aminee,

I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern and one of our team members is already assisting you. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,
Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

Thank you for the feedback. 
The support didn't help me much (except to tell me that my request will be processed within 24/48h).
My withdrawal method "Direct to Local Bank" is still inactive and I can't withdraw my money.
Can you unblock my issue or tell me why my withdrawal method is blocked?

Best Regards

16f4abf8
Community Member

Anyone else having this issue ? 

I can't find the w9 to fill out, only the w8. 

Upworks help page says just to fill out the w8, and it'll get transferred to a w9. 

However, the w8 is asking you to agree that everything in the form is true -- including that I'm not a US citizen, and that lying on the form is perjury. 

This is... not ideal. 

Hi Tina,

We certainly understand your concern. Please note that if you are a U.S person, you need to file a Form W-9 with Upwork (all others should file a Form W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E). Here are the detailed instructions for providing Upwork with your Form W-9:

1. Go to Settings > Tax Information > W-9
  2. Confirm that you are a U.S. taxpayer by selecting I am a U.S. person
  3. Provide us with your legal name — your own legal name, or your business name if you're filing as a company entity
  4. Select your federal tax classification from the dropdown list
  5. Tell us your Taxpayer Identification Number type (SSN, EIN, or ITIN)
  6. Enter your SSN, EIN, or ITIN
  7. Read and electronically sign and date the W-9 certification
  8. Check the box to consent to signing electronically
  9. Choose Save

You can learn more about W-9 forms here and reporting your Upwork income here. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
16f4abf8
Community Member

Yes, that is the ENTIRE problem. 

I do not have that option.

I never had the option.

It's only given me the w8 option. 

I've explained this three times in the support ticket, and in this original post. 

I know I need a w9. I just can't get it, and would really like that fixed.

503b3318
Community Member

Hi, I'm clicking on the get paid now button so I can withdraw my available funds as it is less than 100$ and it's still telling me inactive payment method, after I've added my payment method.  

Hi David,

It looks like you need to provide your Tax Information in order to be able to activate your payment method.

~Andrea
Upwork
503b3318
Community Member

Hi, I've provided my tax information added everything that needs to be added but it's still inactive for weeks now 

I need this solved asap please.  

Hi David,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
503b3318
Community Member

Hi Support Team member, I added my payment method weeks ago, but It's still inactive, please Id appreciate if this can be resolved 

0d4d1a56
Community Member

I have added everything correctly and my w-8ben form was also completed but still, my local bank payment method is inactive. before that, I tried several times but I failed to active method.

Hi Muhammad Khalid,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've reached out to our Support Team and raised a ticket with the same concern. Please allow our team time to further review your case and you will be getting an update on your ticket here within 24-48 hours. Don't hesitate to coordinate with the team if you have questions or still need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
de17c6f9
Community Member

Hope you're all doing good. I've run into a bit of trouble with Upwork and I'm hoping some of you might be able to help.

For some reason, Upwork is saying my payment method is "inactive" and I'm not sure why. I've done everything I'm supposed to - my name's been verified, I've filled out the tax form (W-8BEN), and still, it's not working.

It's been like this for three days now and I'm stuck. I don't know why it's happening or how to fix it.

If anyone has had this problem before or knows how to fix it, I'd really appreciate your help.

Hi Chris,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance. Don't hesitate to coordinate with the team if you have questions or need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
de17c6f9
Community Member

Arjay,

Thanks for turning my post into a ticket. I'm glad you're looking into it.

5f83cb42
Community Member

I'm neither from the USA, nor living in the USA. I'm living in my homecountry. Why is Upwork asking me for this : "To follow U.S. tax laws, please complete a new W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E Foreign Status Certification. Please click here to add your tax information. " ?

I don't see where I can download this form or where to attach it if I have it from somewhere else.

Hi Anika,

We certainly understand your concern and since you're fairly new to the platform, allow me to explain this further. All non-U.S. individual taxpayers who receive payments on Upwork must complete the W-8BEN form to verify that they are not a U.S. Person, and are performing services outside of the United States.

Completing these forms is required to prove you are not a U.S. citizen and do not need to pay U.S. income taxes. Without this proof, the IRS requires that we withhold 30% of your future earnings to pay for income taxes. As long as a new W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely, we’re not required to withhold at this rate.  I hope this clarifies.

~ Arjay
Upwork
aliahsan2
Community Member

Hi!

I added paypal around 10 days ago, and debit card 5 days ago to retrieve my payments. But both payment methods are still not active. All tax info is already updated and completed.

Can some one help me on this?

Thanks.

Hi Ali,

I'm sorry to learn that you're having difficulties getting your new payment activated. I can see that you've reached out to our support team and raised a ticket about your concern. Please allow our team time to further review your case and you will be getting an update on your ticket here once done. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
c0cff995
Community Member

Hi Upwork Team,

My name on Upwork, Paypal, and all my other banks (2 banks) are the same as "Caithleen Therese Chy" but still upwork is saying, "The beneficiary name is mismatched." Can anyone help please with this please?

Perhaps it's because of your last name 'Chy' which is shortened to 'C'? 

Hi Caithleen,

I checked but don't see any name mismatch on your payment methods. They should become active after the 3-day security period.

~Andrea
Upwork
de17c6f9
Community Member

Hi

I'm experiencing an ongoing issue with my payment method being marked as "inactive" on Upwork, despite all necessary verifications being completed.

I approached Upwork Support, who escalated my concern into a support ticket (#40849674).

it's been now six seven days and the issue remains unresolved. This problem is stoppingmy work flow and I'm in need of urgent assistance.

Hi Muhammad Sabbar,

I can see that you've been in contact with one of our support team members via a support ticket. I can confirm that your case has been escalated to the appropriate team for further review. Please allow them time to review, and you will get an update on the same ticket here once done. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
7ffab002
Community Member

I know it takes 3 days for your payment to go from inactive to active. Does the weekend count as a day? I added a payment method on Wednesday, but it's still inactive as of today. Thank you. 

Hi Matthew,

I'm sorry to hear your payment method is still inactive. We converted your post in the community into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you soon to assist you further with this.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Matthew,

I'm sorry to hear your payment method is still inactive. We converted your post in the community into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you soon to assist you further with this.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
kiza0
Community Member

Hello, 

I have withdrawal methods inactive problem using my PayPal and instant payment, what's the problem?

i wanna be active plz!

Hi Mashaka,

In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork.

~Andrea
Upwork
seifshakweer
Community Member

After i fill the W-8BEN form where do i submit it? please someone send me a link. Will UPWORK still take 30% from my future income even if I provided the form???? like if i submited the form and proved that iam Egyptian not American will UPWORK still take 30% to irs + 20% to upwork with total 50% taxes?? i am very confused please help as i was very busy last year with my university and was offline for a year and didn't see the message that says i must update my W-8BEN form

And can i use my Egyptian national ID as a (TIN)?

Hi Seif,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork.

You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork. To review and update, this can be done by going to your settings and select Tax information. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority.

~ Arjay
Upwork
957eb2e7
Community Member

I have set up Payoneer, and it shows on my dashboard.  However, when I click 'Get Paid Now' a drop-down box allowing me to select it appears for a few milliseconds and then disappears.  I assume that this is a way to coerce customers into using Upwork's direct payment (which uses incredibly bad exchange rates).

Hi Paul,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can confirm that your Payoneer account has been successfully added to your financial account. For security reasons, your new payment method will become active and ready for use in three calendar days.

~ Arjay
Upwork
957eb2e7
Community Member

Thanks.  I solved the problem by deleting my other payment method.  I still don't understand why Upwork shows a dialog box which disappears after 500ms. 

heather_mckenzie
Community Member

Hello,

I am new to UpWork and I am trying to get paid. I filled out the W-9 form. Everything says complete. I have funds to withdraw but all the options say "inactive". It keeps telling me that I need to fill out the W-9 form but I have. Does anyone know what I can do? Thank you. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths