🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Phone Number is already in use
Page options
c96f18ce
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I am having a similar issue. I am setting up a personal freelancer account and I need a phone number to proceed with the final step but my phone number is also being used for a client account which I need. Could someone advise please.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,489 REPLIES 1,489
9449b88d
Community Member

I keep getting this message when I attempt to verify my phone number. I only have one account and one phone number.
"Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please 
contact support."

The automated chat box is useless. There is no support team email or telephone number.

As a result, I cannot apply for any work on Upwork. 

Please help.

I am currently in the same boat. Still no word yet.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Frances,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. I'm sorry you're having difficulties verifying your phone number. We'll have one of our agents contact you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Still no support ticket. I haven't heard from a support agent. This looks like a major issue for Upwork as many people have the same issues regarding phone numbers being in use.

I keep getting this message when I attempt to verify my phone number. I only have one account and one phone number.
"Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please 
contact support."

The automated chat box is useless. There is no support team email or telephone number.

I posted multiple times on this forum. I get a bot response from an "Arjay" saying that he will create a support ticket. He has never created a support ticket. It has been days with no response.

As a result, I cannot apply for any work on Upwork. 

Please help.

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry if this hasn't been addressed sooner. A support ticket was created, and I was able to submit a follow-up to the team to give your case the attention it deserves. Kindly expect an update from one of the members here momentarily.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Arjay, you never escalated my post to a support ticket. There has been no traction whatsover with this issue. Please advise.

24b347a9
Community Member

Hello, I am having the same issue as everyone else where my phone number says its already in use.  How do I submit a ticket? 

Hi Braden,

I have requested our team's assistance in completing your phone verification. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
b589ba02
Community Member

I am experiencing the same issue with my account. I am being force to set up my account again with the same email address I used previously. 

I have tried to go through "Upwork Support" Chat bot, but keeps pointing me to articles that are not related to this issue and when it finally gave me a to report my issue, the link is a 404 page. At this time, I am unable to go through the Support channels. 

Hi Ryan,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
bd3351d6
Community Member

I'm having the same issue

Hi Edgar,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
gicas_lauren
Community Member

I just created my Freelancer account but my number verification is failing saying the number is in use with another account when I try to apply for jobs. I've tried changing the phone number in my Client account, logging out and back in and then trying again but nothing is working. Please help!
ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Lauren,

I've converted this post into a support ticket to give your concern the attention it deserves. Please expect an update from one of the team members with further assistance once your case is thoroughly reviewed. Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community.

~ Arjay
Upwork
be193f7d
Community Member

Arjay,

I am having the same issue. If it is not any trouble, could you please have support reach out to me as well. I would greatly appreciate it, thank you.

fe580b62
Community Member

ive had this issue with no help how do i get help? im stuck in a stupid robot chat loop that just keeps repeting over and over

Hi Nicholas and Cullins,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
bfb0d76a
Community Member

I am trying to finish my profile and I keep getting an error that states my phone number is on another account.  This is the only phone number I have.  Can you please fix the issue and have it accept my number?

us stuck forever in a robot chat loop....ive had this issue and its never been resolver. ur **bleep**ed. just get a new #

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Laurie and Nicholas,

I’ve escalated your community posts to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ae9a2928
Community Member

So, I went to apply for a job, and it told me my cell phone number was in use, so now I can't apply for any jobs.  I went through the chatbot asking for "phone number issue" and "create ticket", and all it does is send me to this prompt: 

ae9a2928_1-1708362985905.png

I just need to get my phone number issue solved quickly, but I've looked for 90 minutes about how to support a ticket, ChatBot won't let me create one, and this is preventing me from conducting business and applying for work!

Can you help?

Thanks!

Brent

I am having the same issue, and this is extremely frustrating. 

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Brent and Kyle,

We saw your posts in the community and converted them into support tickets to give them the attention they deserve. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance with your phone verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
09870d76
Community Member

Hello Avery,

I've encountered an issue while verifying my phone number on Upwork. The system indicates that 'This number is being used by another account.' I need assistance to resolve this matter as I don't recall associating this number with any other account. Your prompt help in addressing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Naweed

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Naweed,

Arjay here stepping in for Avery. I've escalated your community post to a support ticket to give your report the attention it deserves. One of our agents will contact you soon with more information and to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
86b82c4c
Community Member

I'm trying to verify my phone number to send me a code and it says my number is already in use this is the only profile I have with upwork and I need to have it sent to my phone 

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Monica,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist you further with the phone verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
3a34ca76
Community Member

I just created my account and would like to start applying to job postings but I receive an error saying the number is in use with another account. I've never used Upwork before. Would someone be able to assist me with this?

Hi Sheryl,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
b406d653
Community Member

I had a previous account which was deleted but now I am unable to create a new account as it says my mobile number is being used. 

I've tried the chat bot which was useless and cannot find an answer. please help

Hi Amy,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
99e3099c
Community Member

I've read all the forum posts where support jumps in and says "contact us". I've read all the ways to contact support - which is just a dumb chatbot that doesn't actually answer anything (thanks for wasting my time there guys). And I read the instructions to send an email but they don't  provide an email address. I'm trying to figure out how to set up my personal freelance profile but my phone number is still tied to a defunct work account that I don't have access to. It won't let me proceed with the setup and I'm just stuck. How do I get this resolved? 

You cannot create fresh account each time you want. It is rules violation.

Some moderator will contact you here and help to restore original one.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi KL,

Mykola's correct! All members can only have one account and several violate the Upwork TOS. That said, I've converted your post into a support ticket to give this the attention it deserves. One of the members will reach out with more information and further assistance in completing the phone verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
a36da635
Community Member

I'm having a similar issue. I am unable to apply for jobs due to this issue. Can you help me rectify this issue please.

Hi David,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
a36da635
Community Member

Thank you

c7eb8e52
Community Member

Hello

My phone number is saying that it can't be verified/is already in use. However, that should not be the case.

I have no other account here on upwork, and no other phone number I can use instead to verify. Who can I contact to get this resolved so I can start working?

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Rose,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance in completing your phone verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths