🐈
» Forums » Support » Phone Number is already in use
Page options
c96f18ce
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I am having a similar issue. I am setting up a personal freelancer account and I need a phone number to proceed with the final step but my phone number is also being used for a client account which I need. Could someone advise please.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,489 REPLIES 1,489

If you're unable to add your phone number to your new Upwork account because it's already associated with a previous account, and you no longer have access to or need that old account, you'll need to contact Upwork support for assistance in resolving this issue. Here's what you can do:

1. Contact Upwork Support: Reach out to Upwork's customer support team for help with removing the phone number from your old account so you can add it to your new account. You can contact support through the Help & Support section of the Upwork website or app.

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Sabra,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist you further with setting up your account.

~ Arjay
Upwork
af2724f6
Community Member

I'm trying to post a job, but in order to do so I need to verify my phone number. Every phone number I try, I get the same error message that the phone number is already being used by another account. I have no other accounts, and the support page and chatbot are utterly useless. Can somebody help?

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Kyle,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
cbgabel
Community Member

I'm unable to apply for any jobs because whenever I try to verify my phone number, I get the "Phone number already in use" error message.

The phone number is correct, and I've had this number for almost 20 years.  

I'm unable to figure out how to raise a support ticket to get the issue addressed.  The only help options I see are Community, Academy, or the chatbot, which doesn't help.

A very frustrating experience thus far.  Is there an Upwork representative here who could help?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chandler, 

Looks like you were able to file a ticket to get in touch with the Upwork Support Team. Don't hesitate to continue coordinating with them through your open ticket. You can access your ticket (and future tickets) on this page (Question mark button on the upper right-hand corner of your Upwork account > My Requests page). 

~ Avery
Upwork
edb190e4
Community Member

I know this is a known issue, but I can't find any solution (no way for me to contact support directly), so I have to post here.

I can't use my phone number to finish creating my freelance account. Can someone from the Upwork team please reach out or create a ticket to resolve this?

Thank you so much!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Minh, 

The Upwork Support Team will reach out to you through this ticket once they get to your ticket in their queue. Let us know if you need further help with anything!

~ Avery
Upwork
920b3d6e
Community Member

I am also having this problem!  Please help!

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I’ve forwarded your report to our team, and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to provide further assistance. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
4f7abe7f
Community Member

I am trying to apply for a job, but when I reach the phone verification page and enter my phone number I receive an error telling me my number is already in use with another account. The number is 100% correct and I do not remember making any other accounts using this number. How do I solve this?

Hi Aidan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
06fa7346
Community Member

Hello,

It's prompting me to set up phone verification, but it indicates that my number is already in use. This is inaccurate, as I don't have another account and am currently in the process of setting up my account. Can someone who is an actual customer service rep, not help chat please help me?

Thank you

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
2098960b
Community Member

Why is there no clear way to enter a support ticket? I'm trying to complete my freelancer profile and it says my phone number is already being used. Please do not refer me to the chat but. It was most unhelpful both times I tried to you resolve this issue.

Hi Bettina,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble contacting our support team. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
9c538b5a
Community Member

I am trying to verify my phone number to apply to jobs but it says my number is being used by another account. I am not sure which account 

Hi Kaylynne,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
1df26c1e
Community Member

I am having issue adding my phone number becuase its already being used. I can not find my old account too!  I need help 😞

Hi Emine,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/45899905

~ Joanne
Upwork
c9aa4e87
Community Member

I am trying to create a freelancer account and it won't let me apply to anything until my phone number has been verified, but it's saying my number is in use by another account. I have no idea what account this would be or how to login to it. I tried reaching out to support but received no response.

I'm having the same issue. I did the chat thing and it was just a bot that answered so it didn't help me. 

Hi Hollie and Morgan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
e96f2abf
Community Member

Hi Preston,

I tried posting a job to create a logo for our podcast. when it prompts me to add my phone number, it tells me someone else is actually using my phone number. 

Dont know who to contact about this.

Hi Adrian,

I'm sorry you're having trouble verifying your phone number. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
cf1621a5
Community Member

I am having this same exact issue where I can't verify my phone number. I looked everywhere for a way to contact customer support but could only get the chat bot support which takes me back here. Could someone help me? 

There's nothing that allows me to submit a ticket.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your report has been forwarded to our team and you will receive a support ticket from one of our agents who will help you with your issue. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
84d92854
Community Member

Hi, I created an account years ago just checking things out. I'm trying to start putting bids now, however it asks me to verify my phone number but then says that number is already in use and I can't get past that screen? I can't seem to figure out how to get a hold of an actual human either at upwork.

Solutions I've tried
Reloaded page
Tried to bid on another project
Delete account - says the account is deleted but the phone number is STILL in use already.
Hours and hours of trying to find a way to contact customer support

I really want to get this resolved sooner than later. Thanks

Hi Colton,

I'm sorry you've been having trouble with this. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
84d92854
Community Member

Great, thanks Luiggi. I appreciate it!

bd3351d6
Community Member

Can I get help with a similar issue 

thank you

Hi Edgar,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
fca660b3
Community Member

I have created a wrong type of account and deleted it but somehoe my phone number is tied to it. After which, when I create a client account to hire a freelancer, I'm unable to post the job. the error is - This number is being used by another account. How do I fix this?

Hi Delli,

- Pradeep 

Upwork
6bee450d
Community Member

This has been an extremely frustrating support experience. 

My phone number is connected to my old work email address. I can't verify my account with my new work address because my number is associated to that account. 

I have tried the chatbot but it puts me into a loop of sharing details on the issue, linking to an article which offers nothing more than "create a support ticket," but all of the instructions to create a support ticket lead back to the support page and chatbot. 

There appears to be no support phone number and the account verifcation emails do not have any email support options.

How do I create a support ticket to get out of this mess and start posting some requests?

I have a similar situation. I just managed to create a request on Thursday, but now it is being ignored. All the upwork support is simply silent and ignores, and the chat bot also answers the same thing in a circle.

The most interesting thing is that everything was working on Thursday. I could quickly and easily contact the robot and ask to connect me with a person and he did it without any problems, and then I calmly tried to solve the problem, and they promptly answered me in the task that I opened. Now everything is silent and work repeats the same thing

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jim,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~Andrea
Upwork

Tell me why the robot stopped switching to people? And why am I being ignored?

I agree. Maybe they aren't aware that the chatbot doesn't give the option for a support ticket or to speak with someone? Very frustrating to get stuck in a look and have everything on the support site say to go back to the chatbot. 

I think they know. The chat bot was working on Thursday. I think they have a caste system of profiles, they allow some to communicate with people, they forbid others to do so. On Thursday I changed the country and apparently the profile filter broke and I was able, as a privileged person, to contact the support service. Now they have returned those filters to my profile and I can no longer do anything normally. I also noticed during that period that the contracts were 5-7 times higher in price. Now prices are extremely low. This is a terrible exchange with a terrible caste system

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths